iPad Ten promo codes for Paper Airplane

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by lilasoft, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lilasoft

lilasoft Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #1 lilasoft, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    EDIT: THEY'RE FINISHED ALREADY. WOW, YOU'VE BEEN FAST! :)

Just send me a pm (US only).

The first thing to do once you launch the game is to calibrate it (put your device on a table and press the calibrate button in 'controls').

To get the game you have to understand that you have to tilt your device gently. The default setting works by tilting left and right (my preferred way, even if it seems counterintuitive it makes it much easier to play once you've become used).

Also, don't try to catch all the balloons. Avoid hitting the birds (you have only three lives) first and try to aim primarily at the balloons that give you more points (yellow and purple). Don't miss the kites (150pts).

Anyway it's a very simple game. It's all about beating your own highscore.

The link for the game is my signature.

2. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Sounds pretty cool. Got any pictures? Non US, so just ignore me. ;)

3. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    PM sent
    Thanks

4. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I sent a PM.

5. President Mika

Nov 22, 2008
    I sent a pm too, but how do you use promo codes, I never had one. :(

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Just redeem it in your iTunes using an US account.

Game review coming soon... :)

7. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    On the right side in the iTunes store, quick links box, there's an option for redeeming codes. On your computer only.

8. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
  9. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
  10. i can activate it for you : D

11. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    PROS
    - Simple gameplay (which is always welcome)
    - Nice controls (you don't have to move too much)
    - Relaxing and subtle birds sound
    - High score

CONS
    - Balloon popping sound could be better
    - Few twists (as far as I could see)
    - It disappears from the screen if you tilt too much (at least an arrow indicating where it is can be useful)

SUGGESTIONS
    - It'd be nice to see the distance along with high score
    - Bigger plane that could resist to e.g. 4 hits before crash
    - Online high score

All in all is a nice pick up and play. Something like Scoops.

3/5 rating.

12. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    How do you calibrate it properly? My plane keeps on falling off the screen.

Also,
    -PLEASE SHORTEN the name. It has the "..."
    -Make the icon funkier. Use the background on your title card. Then put a plane, baloons and the kite on the background.

13. lilasoft

lilasoft Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback.

There's a small issue with the sound of balloons popping. It has been fixed in an update which is already in review.

The fact that the plane could disappear from the screen was somewhat unavoidable for the gameplay. Making it stop before would be ugly since the heading of the plane would still be relative to the device tilt.

When you go too high or too low the plane disappear outside the screen but it is still there, and it doesn't go more up or down. Just tilt gently in the opposite direction. On the other hand, you cannot use this to hide from birds since they can reach you there with the same probability as if you were in the middle of the screen. In short, it is designed to be this way. It's not a bug or something we haven't considered.

The size of the plane has been chosen to make it more fun. It sacrifices a bit the aesthetics of the game, I know.

Online score is definitely on the way. We just wanted to have some more feedback.

Distance? That's a great idea! We'll think about it. It's trivial to implement.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

-c.

14. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

I missed out on this, as usual:(

15. lilasoft

lilasoft Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Put your device on a table and click on the calibrate buttons.

There's a bug in the iPhone sdk that prevents the acceleromter from working if you start some games (ours is affected) and the device has not been moved at all.

If you can't control the plane at all just exit and relaunch the game, recalibrate (you need to do this only once since it is saved, but if you calibrate when the accelerometer is unresponsive it will fail to calibrate properly).

If you still have issues, please send me a pm.

About the icon: yes, we'll make it prettier soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

-c.

16. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Thanks! that was helpful

I like how:
    -I like how the plane actually goes on an incline when it flies up and down. It makes it more real.
    -Nice UI
    -Easy to navigate screens

Improvements:
    -Fix the image for the baloons, looks pixelated
    -Beautify the birds a little bit instead of plain black

4/5!! :p

17. lilasoft

lilasoft Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks for the feeback.

A lot of people complain for the pixelated look. That's because the game is drawn in 3d (it's opengl) even if the gameplay is in 2d, so there's no antialiasing. All the content during the game is coded by hand (and the clouds and the mountains are procedurally generated and they're always different in shape and color).

I know it has been a mistake commercially, since it seems less polished and less appealing (especially if you judge it from the screenshot). But I always end up choosing the route which is funnier/more interesting for me to program. :p

Edit: forgot to say that the birds are 3d too. They're just a few polygons but that made the animation of the wings possible.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

-c.

18. jeepster2982

jeepster2982 Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i like it, simple yet challenging, which makes it hard for me to put it down since you always think you can get a few more points on the highscore

19. lilasoft

lilasoft Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks. That was our goal.

We made it for ourselves ('we' is me and my wife) while waiting for a more ambitious idea. But we were really enjoying it and we decided to release it. We've kept polishing this game since then, but we didn't want to sacrifice the original idea or to change what made it fun for us to play.

20. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Alright, first of all, no matter what I did, I couldn't play this game. My friend could somehow do it, but I can't. I calibrate it and everything. Whatever I do, it just goes whatever direction it wants to. However, when my friend was playing it seemed really fun. I enjoy the "simple" graphics as well and it's one of those games like scoops where you can just pick it up and play whenever. Thanks again for the code, an hopefully I'll be able to play this and i'll post my impressions!