Universal Tempo (by Warchest)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Where are people getting the impression this is a "on-rails anything" type of game? It isn't. Pocket Gamer said it best: "Parappa the Rapper meets G.I. Joe". It's technically a rhythm game...or at least it works like one and yes...it's all QTEs. Got a problem with that? Go check out something else on the App Store. There are a zillion and one generic shooters you can play. This does what it does extremely well: It gives you a cinematic experience while testing your reflexes and reaction times, while adding a little depth to the genre.

2. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #82 worldcitizen1919, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    I'm enjoying it. I bought it knowing it was a rhythm game.

Just got a gold medal on 'Smile you're on camera' beat the gold time by .09 seconds.

Just interested in why it's 1.6 gb as there's only the girl speaking. But it's a good game if you like challenging yourself to get gold in everything. Just went through all my bronze to get them to silver but gold not that easy.

Skills required are reflexes and focus or concentration. Very good game. More I play the more I like it.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I like it and it's cool to see a kind of "new" game using QTE and high production values.

That being said, I'm really disappointed they cut corners with the animations and sounds. The characters you use don't talk which ruins the immersion since they all almost seem like the same people (doing the same exact movements).

I think the animations are what bother me the most. There's so many reused animations I feel like I'm replaying the same areas over and over (even though I've already been doing that to try and get better scores).

I love the character designs and the setting but I feel like the execution is just lacking.

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #84 worldcitizen1919, Feb 15, 2015
    After I saved Grant he spoke a little.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hmm, seems like the only way to get gold is by replaying the sections with your newer/updated soldiers. Not that I mind replaying, but like Lawliet said, after the first set of missions, it does seem like you're replaying the same area time and time again. I too wonder why the game's 2 GB installed, but then again it's most likely the animated cutscenes...you know, the ones between missions.

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #86 metalcasket, Feb 15, 2015
    Heh...just when I spoke, things started to get heated up. New scenarios (that do not alter gameplay) such as
    being on a tank and a boss fight with an RPG
    just popped up. Faith in game restored. :) Love this thing. Love it.

EDIT: Oh, and regarding the update issue...yeah, I believe 1.0.1 (or whatever) was a full download of the game (which I actually did :/), followed by 1.0.2, which was a super fast delta update. I was wondering why I still had to update the game after updating it.

7. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    Great to hear — I really love this game too (graphics, sounds, etc.).

8. Orderhere

Orderhere Active Member

Jan 28, 2015
    #88 Orderhere, Feb 15, 2015
    Can you move? No.
    Can you shoot? No.
    Do you move according to pre-programmed paths? Yes.
    Explain to me how that is NOT an on-rails game. Rhythm game? That's what DDR/Jubeat is. Are you telling me you shoot enemies according to musical beat patterns?
    If you like the game fine, I couldn't care less. I'm a fan of rhythm games like DDR/Jubeat, I'm not even a fan of shooters in general (where the hell did I'm a shooter fan in my original post?). I'm not a fan of games with a shooter style look but you don't do anything other than QTEs. Got a problem with other people's opinions? Go check out another thread. :rolleyes:

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Considering I said the game is technically (or at least plays like) a rhythm game and you decided to completely ignore that, I'll just completely ignore all of the above.

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I love the game. I think it's fun. I think the production values and the voice overs are nice. I think the devs did a great job.

Billy
    LordShad0wz

11. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    While I think the App Store description is a little deceiving, knowing what this thing was going in I bit down and spent the 5 bones. After beating the first area and moving to the second group of stages, the "game" is pretty good albeit super simple.

You can definitely tell this was made by the same folks that made Brink just by design alone and that isn't a bad thing. The visuals are good. The soundtrack and dynamic camera angles make even some of the generic fights feel intense. The only main negative I have on the visuals or "scenarios" is that there isn't a lot going on in the backgrounds making some the scenes feel a little lifeless. It isn't too distracting. The reuse of animations is understandable and so far it doesn't bug me. They don't appear to be too egregious but my tone may change at the end of the game depending on how much mileage they get out of a few of the scripted events but so far it seems fine.

I guess my biggest disappointment or thing that is leaving me wanting is that there are only 3 QTEs and they don't change in replaying the scenarios. I get why in terms of the leaderboards and times but it does take away some of replay value as just cranking through the missions again to unlock extra costumes (which is a nice touch) is already wearing thin.

I like the game though and while I think a lot of people will be disappointed or feel a little ripped off due to the App Store description and video, I am enjoying it. The story is nothing to write home about but it is told in nice short bursts perfect for mobile and it is concise being easy to follow. That goes a long way. I like the extra costumes and while I'm not thrilled about being forced to replay missions with better characters to get gold it is what it is. I feel like it has little to do with skills and more to do with character stats or boosters equipped. Seems like a Freemium holdover but the boosters at least don't seem to be required but even if they are money is pretty readily available.

Anyway, for those on the fence I say go for it as long as you are cool with it being a bunch of QTEs. The presentation alone makes it a nice showpiece and it has kept me busy and wanting more so it is doing its job. After I beat the story I doubt I'll replay it but it seems to be pretty lengthy if I'm counting my replays of missions for perfects and the new outfits.

12. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Held off on buying due to the size but caved in today. Game is stunning, absolutely beautiful. I happen to like games like this, so no disappointment from me. However, I am still early in the game so I will see how I feel later.

13. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #93 Rip73, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    I think you will continue to enjoy it.

There are certain times where it might seem to be getting repetitive but I think MetalCasket demonstrated it best on the previous page where it seemed not to change but then a particular Boss battle (not gonna spoil the scenario) changes it up very nicely.

And there's plenty of content in it so I think it's real good value.
    It's not for everybody and some seem to think it's some thing it's not but it's still one of the stronger games I've seen in a good while and it does very well at being something different in the genre it really falls in to.

Best I could advise (and to echo MC's post on previous page) is that even if it seems to get repetitive at a point, continue to boss battles, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Edit. And funnily enough, here's some tips that some might find useful. I suppose they are pretty obvious but there is a couple of things there that I had overlooked.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Tempo/feature.asp?c=63933

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I honestly needed room so I had to remove the game from my device for now. Will pick it up again later. I absolutely loved the first boss battle. The fight was so intense. Then got to the second and it was 90% the same animations with a few minor changes. Was pretty disappointed there.

15. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Sadly the first 3 are like that.

One thing though that does mix up the monotony is that if you fail a sequence or just pass one then things do actually change up. I noticed this in a lot of the scenarios actually when going for Gold medals. It is more noticeable in replaying the boss battles as there are more QTEs and the speed at which your character does the actions actually does change depending on how you rate in the event.

Basically, things are a little more dynamic than on the surface when playing through the scenarios the first time which is a good thing but after going through the first 3 areas and entering the fourth there are a lot of repeat QTE sequences and I'm not just talking about only the 3 different events. I'm talking the actual scenarios like the 2 dudes behind the pop out cover, your character sneaking off with intel, pushing down the same barricades in exactly the same spot, etc... Even the fail states are the same most of the time.

I will say though, that the game is still impressive if not a little repetitive. I knew going into it that would be the case so while some of the issues I mentioned are irritating, they aren't deal breakers. I think the camera angles and the mix up of the soundtrack really help keep the game moving. Even if the animations and scenarios are the same just in a different environment or backdrop, the game still lives up its namesake due to the quick camera motions and intense soundtrack.

I really do think the App Store description needs to be updated or at least clarified as to what this thing is. Most of the negative reviews are from people that feel ripped off and while I don't think they are wrong due to the way the description is written, the game is easily 4 stars when looking at it for what it is but due to the description it is a little hazy as to what people may be buying. I questioned it myself before doing some quick research.

Not really what I would call a true game but it is a great experience nonetheless. I can't recommend it enough as long as you know what you are expecting.

16. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    The only reason why I'm still playing this game, is that I paid money for it to be honest

17. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    So since this game got a price drop, is it worth the time?

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I bought this coz of the price drop, and it's actually pretty good. I was worried about repetitiveness, but so far i dont have any issues with it. Really liking this.

19. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Not update since last year, so no iPad Pro? does it support MFi?