Universal Tempo (by Warchest)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Doesnt sound like "you dont do nothing" to me. I mean that doesnt sound auto-poo at all. Your posts just tell us you dont like on-rails titles.

Sorry, was looking for imps whether the game is good at being an on-rails title. Thanks for pointing out it's just on-rails though, at least that sets some expectations straight.

I can see how the wrong impressions can break this game, especially since looking at the screenshots which may suggest somethin bigger.

2. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #22 Rip73, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    Take a look at the PG preview I posted on the first page.
    That basically gives you the gameplay at the early stages.
    It is quick time events and reaction based response gameplay.
    Yes, I know that won't be enough for some but I still think it's pretty clear from the app description, the PG plays video and the additional gameplay video here as to what type of play is involved and that it's not, say, an MC5 type of game.
    As you get deeper there is a tightening up of reaction times and there is a bit more than one reaction motion to interact with.

I thought I was clear on it earlier but I guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry if I misled some people there. I did genuinely think it was pretty clear.

As to the game itself, now that it is hopefully understood as to what type it is, it is done extremely well.
    It has huge production values and is visually top notch on iPhone 6 plus and iPad air 2. There really is nothing to complain about there at all.
    It has a reasonable range of characters with different skill attributes and has upgradable skills for those characters.
    So, all in all, once one is aware of what type of game it is, it is genuinely entertaining.
    No it may not be COD free roam etc, if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere, but it is no doubt a reaction based game done extremely well with a very nice setting and environment.

Hopefully that clears it up for those who didn't read the earlier post and hopefully I didn't lead any of you other guys astray earlier. I had thought I'd been pretty clear.
    I do stand by my impressions from first page. It is fun, it has immense production values. And it is something different in somewhat familiar genres and well worth the download.
    For me, it's an entertaining twist but I was well aware as to what type it was before it came out so I had no different expectations.

Thankfully MetalC had it bought before I said anything so at least that's one I can't be responaible for. :)
    I still do genuinely think people will enjoy it as long as they understand the type of game it is but I suppose I would have to recommend the PG preview vid I linked earlier and Touchy85's vid at top of previous page just so people do know the type they are getting.
    I still cannot emphasise enough how good the production values are.

3. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I'm not a fan of rail shooters but this one intrigues me. I'm going to give it a try & see if it can hold up. Downloading now & hope to enjoy it for what it is & not worry too much about what it is not. But we shall see.....

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    No in app purchases caught my attention and really surprised me and made me take another look and can be played offline also has caught my attention.

Getting more interested in this. I think for those two things it might be at least a 4'star game but I haven't played it yet.

Thinking seriously about getting this as I don't have to keep pumping it with money. Saw the video looks good.

I'm going to read up a bit more but am leaning towards getting this unless I see some really horrible feedback but so far looks decent.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Exactly the type of imps im looking for... Whether the game is good or not for what it is. Some people easily dismissed Star Horizon back when it released for being onrails, but i found it to be friggin stellar at being an onrails space shooter.

Thanks Rip, i thought i wasnt gonna buy anything for 2 weeks straight, but it seems i may have to get this one... One last question to make a decision... If anyone can please answer:

Is it a full game (regardless of length) or is it episodic?

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #26 Rip73, Feb 13, 2015
    It's a full game.
    I haven't heard about it being episodic or additional "episodes" so that is my assumption.
    (Edit. Note I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if it ends or if its a cliffhanger type designed to lead to another episode, I just haven't got there yet. I've never heard it described as "episodic" though which it would have been if it were going to be.)
    That doesn't mean it won't get updates or additional content though.
    I've heard a thing or two about update/future plans but you know yourself, it will need to be supported with downloads for that to be feasible.

The two teams involved have a strong history of supporting their stuff long term and adding whenever they can so I do have plenty of faith in them.
    Plus the investment they've already put in to it demonstrates a strong future intent.

As a side note from the game itself, I was gonna mention it earlier but the paid/no iap feature hadn't popped up yet everywhere but do notice the tie in. A premium/iap free featured list and a premium iap free editors choice.
    I hope people do notice the tie in and the intent behind it by all parties and do support both this game and the games in the new featured list. It will be important going forward.
    I'm not trying to push people in a direction or anything like that, obviously make your own choice, but certain seemedly small things are pretty important for what people want to see it the future.
    Just something I hope doesn't pass people's attention by.

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sorry I'm a bit confused with what you wrote. Were you referring to the list of games on the apple store that are in the featured section? Are you saying we should buy the games that they feature on their main page?

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    No, that's not what I'm implying at all. People should buy whatever they want to buy. Nothing more, nothing less.
    There is absolutely no obligation or push to buy simply from a featured list even if it is as strong a list as this weeks one.

I'm just pointing out that people have wanted more premium iap free and for them to get attention and they have now gotten that this week in both a featured list and an editors choice.
    That's not really an accident.

The implication should be relatively clear at that.
    Download numbers rather than forum posts do have the greatest impact and I'm just pointing out that people now have the choice to support a particular model if they choose to.

9. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    More games with offline play and iap free will definitely boost sales as many don't have Internet access on the go.

I bought this game because I like it. Yes it's Dragon's Lair type of game but much, much better. The devs made sure you aren't just tapping buttons but get to see the action as well unlike Dragon's Lair which I had to refund because I could not watch the game even for 1 second.

This is totally different. Love the high production quality. It's very professionally done. Ideal for the bus or train wait to pick up and play anytime no waiting for a connection. It's not a typical fps but a reflex quick move game but fun and has lots of atmosphere. They could have made this with stamina and charged for refills but they went with OFFLINE play instead which is a credit to them

Totally worth the $6.49 I paid. Got no complaints here about this one. If only Dragon's Lair was much more like this.

I gave it 4 stars for gameplay and an added star for offline mode and no iap which is excellent and makes this a top game.

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Do you know the install size? And does it seem long? Or does it seem like something that'll probably be beaten in a few hours?

I need to clear up some iphone space before I can buy this :cool:

11. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Hey RIP, how's things? Thanks for all the info on this title. I am definitely grabbing it based on your excellent feedback, also the no IAP and offline factor. Cheers

12. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thank you.
    And things are pretty good, thanks for asking.
    Not so much in the game environment anymore, but when a title catches my eye, well, it catches my eye.

I genuinely hope you find it enjoyable as it is a type of gameplay I don't normally relate to but the combination of the environments, production values, soundtrack and it just being different from the norm has contributed it to being a title I'm enjoying quite a lot more than I expected.
    Plus there just seems to be a lot more to it than I expected.
    And of course the obvious ones, iap free, premium one off price, offline and the teams behind it are solid.
    So a strong combination of elements going on there.

13. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    2.1gb installed

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Yeah it's not my usual type of game, but I just can't resist. It sounds too good to pass on.

15. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Damn Rip, you are added on my list as TA members who make me spend money, lol! Thanks for the impressions and grateful too! :)

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #36 Rip73, Feb 13, 2015
    That sounds like a pretty good list to be on. :)
    And thanks for the thanks.

Worldcitizen has captured in his post in the previous page as to what the game is like and its character as well so I'm feeling a bit less pressure now as its good to see a shared opinion on it.

Oh and sorry Lawliet, I meant to put the install size in earlier but I got distracted.
    I see it's already answered but 2.1gb for installed file and 1.7gb for installation file so you'll need 3.8gb of free space if installing over the air or 2.1gb free space if installing through PC/Mac and iTunes.
    Round it off to 4 and 2.3/2.4 depending on your install option. I always have to recommend keeping a couple hundred MB's left around just in case.
    It's pretty big at 2.1gb but it does show in the quality of the visuals and I'd imagine those full authentic sound captures and the soundtrack are quite hefty as well.

17. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Only just started playing this.....WOW it is good!!!, the fast pace of this is great! Looks fantastic, plays really really well. Definitely happy I grabbed this. A super polished game for sure #

18. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    As always thanks! I think I'm just about done cleaning. Time to download this baby! I'm glad you've been sticking in the thread and being helpful. I can tell there won't be as many impressions just because of the price ;)

19. icemilktea

icemilktea Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Lol I noticed they put mosaics over the guns in the screenshots because of apple's new rule to rejecting apps that has guns in em.

20. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Do they hire the same female European voice over talent for every one of these type of games? It's become such a cliché.

Like this kind of game. Pretty cool.