Universal Templar Infinite crusade - Mix of RPG, rogue like and strategy elements.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dr_Nachin, Dec 2, 2014.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    OK, folks - I'm back with impressions.

This is a fun little game where you primarily battle creatures, and the overall game is a grind: when you die, you spend gold collected on permanently improving your character for future attempts. The goal of the game is to kill some special creatures that occasionally appear. You get gold for moving along, killing enemies and selling loot that you find. Gameplay is straightforward - just tap an ability to use it, or the sword to attack.

The tutorial is interactive, well done, and essential for learning how to play the game. A one-screen 'basic instructions' for reference would be very handy, saying shields block physical attacks, barriers improve HP and block magic, only one barrier per turn and that all actions besides the sword DO NOT allow the monster to attack back.

The game is very random, you will spend some time learning what creatures use which types of attacks and what items do, which is probably the most interesting part of the game, which again is primarily a grind to beef yourself up to take out stronger creatures. The progression reminds me a lot of Earn to Die (which I'm replaying at the moment since the sequel came out, and I never played through the extra content they added to it after I finished it the first time...)

As for improvement, the biggest problem with the game IMHO is the graphics. You've got some lovely pixel art there that is getting blurred when scaled - you either need to turn off filtering, or re-scale graphics yourself w/out filtering so those pixels stay nice and sharp. Some of the backgrounds vary as well - seems that some are getting filtered/blurred. I'm running this on an iPhone 6 Plus, so that may be part of the problem. I'd be happy to provide screenshots and/or test out beta builds if you are interested.

2. Dr_Nachin

Dr_Nachin Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for providing feedback, The one screen tutorial you mentioned is a good idea. Might include it next patch.

The graphics will get better. Even though I personally love the current retro/pixel graphics, the scaling did cause some blurring issues. I will do a major graphics overhaul later on, using all original artwork like the examples posted a few posts before this one. I do like the pixel/retro theme.

Hope you are having fun with the game. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Also the "Bosses" appear at distances 40,60,80,100 etc etc. You can tell they are bosses because the music gets all crazy, their name is Yellow, and they have tons of hit points.

Again thanks for the feedback, as it helps improve the overall experience.

3. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    #23 Woodrith, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Haven't picked this up yet, is this basically infinite play if I'm reading this right? What kind of updates will you be adding?

Derp moment, I saw the future improvements on the first page, my brain has now caught up with my typing.....

4. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    #24 Dr_Nachin, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    More info on upcoming plans

Hey there, I will answer any question regarding gameplay or future plans etc.

First let me explain the "infinite aspect". Every time a boss (elder one)is killed, the difficulty spikes, the rewards also increase greatly, so no need to grind on easy mode(Booooring). The increase in difficulty and better payout also keeps the games short, as I designed this as a fast Mobile experience. You can literally start killing monsters in 2 seconds flat on an iphone 4s.

The first boss appears after you advance 40 times In a single crusade. Dying makes you loose all the items and you restart at distance 0 but you keep gold to permanently improve you 14 skills as you wish. After the boss is killed besides the difficulty spike the next boss appears at a further distance, 60,80,100, etc.

There are 11 bosses and one is selected at random each time you reach the distance checkpoint. Some bosses are harder than others depending on what resources you have when you face them. Heals, barriers, shields, etc. Having a tone of shields vs a Magic only boss will do you no good. The 11 bosses a re split up between pure Strength, magic, Agility and hybrids in between.

Regarding future plans I have split them up into two categories. The 100% sure will happen, and the ones I would like to implement.

100% sure
    -leaderboards via gamecenter to track rankings(distance, level,gold,kills,etc)This is coming out next patch.
    -more creatures and creature modifiers. (Fat, Strong, weak, slow,champion) to both increase and decrease difficulty and increase the randomness.
    -Graphics overhaul. will be using original artwork. ETA depends on artist but I would like to get this done within the next three months.
    -Animations for spell effect, arrows, etc.
    -upgradable town. Storage(to save some items found on a crusade for a later date)blacksmith(start off with some weapons/armor), alchemist(brew potions).One thing to keep in mind is that I do not intend to slow down the gameplay. The fast gameplay is part of the draw of the game. So i do have to be careful.
    -more monster skills.
    -Ongoing legendary buffs, regeneration, one free insta barrier per fight, teleportation forward, a few others.
    -No IAPs. Ever. No timers, nada. Play as much as you want.

Not 100% sure but very likely

-Asynchronous PVP. Do not want to give out fine details, but lets say you will be able to collect and power up the monsters/traps you encounter to defend your town.

Maybe. Depends on feedback.

-more hero skills. I do not think it is needed(game is very balanced), but maybe I can hold a contest and the user who comes up with the best idea gets credit somehow and the skill is implemented.

(wall of text drives templar insane. You loose. Continue?)

I apologize for the huge wall of text, but I do want to provide as much info as is needed to inform possible crusaders :D.

If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask.

Attached Files:

5. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    One word. Awesome:). Downloading, playing after dinner!

6. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Great :D

Thanks, and hope you enjoy the game. If you have any questions please post here. I recommend you go through the tutorial once, as it describes pretty well how to play. Please post feedback(positive or negative) here and if you enjoy the game please pass the word along. This is a 1 man project and I need all the exposure I can get.

To answer a question I am receiving a lot, you cannot activate the Identify skill. When you move and the encounter is randomly generated an ID check is performed. Hero ID skill vs Monster/item deception skill. If you succeed the creature/item is identified AND you receive a gold bonus, so ID skill is pretty attractive. When you Morph a creature or item an ID skill check is performed on the new item if the morph was a success. You could potentially morph an identified crappy potion into an unidentified poison, so beware.

The exception are the elder ones(bosses). They are always Correctly identified.

Also when an item is identified if it says TRAP, its a trap 100% of the time LOL. Like Trap - steel sword. Etc, etc. If it is identified and does not say TRAP anywhere, it is 100% not a trap.

7. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Today's last promo code

Have one promo code left. Sending it out to the next person to ask for it :D.
    (hopefully old school RPG fan)

8. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Promo codes

Hello everyone. Still have promo codes left. Please let me know if you would like one.

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Thanks again for the code! I really do like this charming game.
    I like the old school vibe, the roguelike and rpg elements. I see in a post above you still have lots of great plans for this title.

Despite the retro feel, the graphics/animations are the weakest parts. The blurrines is a little annoying but I can get past that. I'm always wishing though that when I use the sword, my character would actually go up to the monster to hit it. It always feels strange that wether I use my sword or bow, I never move...
    That's really my main gripe with the game.

Otherwise, this really does ooze old school charm and is pretty fun to play. I like the strategy of which weapon to use at which time and the roguelike aspect always makes the game more intense.

Can I ask if you're already goingto add GC leaderboards to consider GC achievements as well? :) I'm silly like that and just enjoy getting extra rewards when playing my games! ;)

Otherwise, keep up the great work. You can see this game is a labour of love

10. Rutter1984

Rutter1984 Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    When I first started playing this, I must admit that I found it hard to get into and understand what it was about. It was only after I watched the tutorial a few more times and put a solid hours playtime in, that I appreciated for what it is.

The more you play, the more powerful your character gets and allows you to progress deeper into the game. I feel that this is a very satisfying progression system and makes you want to keep playing. The variety of monsters and backgrounds on offer is impressive.

I quite like the graphics as they suit the game to give it that real old-school vibe to it.

My only criticism of this game is that it's quite hard to understand at first. It may be useful to have an option where it explains what your items/powers do as your playing the game. Just basically explaining what they are, as I had to do a few try's of the tutorial to get a grasp of them.

Also Gamecentre would be much appreciated, such as achievements and leaderboards. This would defiantly keep me playing in the long run.

Hope more people take notice of this game.

11. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Thanks for the Feedback

Hello, I am glad you are enjoying the game. GC leaderboards are going in the next patch with 100% certainty.(hopefully around christmas before itunes connect closes). I was thinking of adding achievements, but have not really looked at how long it is going to take to implement. Mainly focusing on leaderboards, and other areas. Achievements are pretty fun so I it is very possible they will be added down the line. I have a list already(forgot were I put it), but I remember it included crazy things like drink X deadly poisons, be devoured by the hell beast X times, etc.

As far as the graphics/animations they will be improved. I am working with the artist as stated on posts before to improve the graphics and add basic animations. Have the templar run off the screen when you move, shoot arrows, fireball explosions, etc. Trying my hardest to cram all this in, but being a 1 man team it is quite a lot of work, with a lot of testing to make sure everything is ok.

Please feel free to leave more feedback as you find appropriate, and if you have any gameplay questions please let me know.

P.S. as always if you enjoy the game please mention it to other people who you think might enjoy it. Need all the exposure I can get.

12. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Promo codes

Have a few codes available. If someone wants one please post here.

13. kittenwizard

kittenwizard Member

Dec 4, 2014
    game designer, ost composer
    nyc
    Hi i would love to check it out and tell my friends. we have been designing games and love seeing different ideas. this game sounds cool. Congrats on publishing your game : )

14. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I'd like to try this one out if any codes are available still. Always had an interest in the Templar. Good to see updates are incoming. Game Center sounds like a fun addition. Always good to see leaderboards and achievements IMO...

15. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Promo codes

Hello again :D, Sent you both Promo codes. Snoop I do have to say the game is "Templar" only in name. Hopefully you will not be disappointed. Kitten,thanks for the support. Please tell your friends if you enjoy the game.

Please post questions and feedback here.

16. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Game Impressions

So bought and downloaded the game yesterday, have given it over an hour of gameplay. So first impressions:

A tutorial!! While for games this isn't always a must, it does help people who may not play a game they can't understand. Tutorial was quick and interactive, letting me know what exactly to expect and how to play. A little more indepth on leveling skills, but otherwise good.

Graphis/art: Dev I know your going to update, but at this point going to talk about how the game currently is. Which is rough, both the characters and background are either over pixelated or kind of washed out. Which is a pity, I feel like were missing out on some cool art. Also no real animations, not a deal breaker for me. Dev has stated this will be improved over updates.

Gameplay: My favorite part! Think of it as a endless runner dark souls RPG endless. You randomly get paired up with an enemy in some random environment. If you win you move on, if you dont...well you die. But alas, not all is lost, except all those weapon and armor upgrades. Whayever money you made on your run you can spend on health, skills, magic, or the very much needed the identifier (probably not its real name), which lets you see what the creature is and HP. Useful to try and run or gun (well sword anyways). You'll also come across random loot and equipment that may or may not be booby trapped, but could positivelly boost your stats. Eventually through multiple multiple deaths you'll run into a boss, which will probably kill...over and over until your skills are on par. And thats the game, I could potentially be missing futher gameplay that occurs later, but there you have it.

For the stat connoisseurs who love to track everything from rats killed and poops taken, your covered. During gameplay touch the screen and see all prior actions. After death you'll see how far you've gotten, what killed you, and other highlights. Leaderboards and game center are in the works but not in the current build.

Boy, if I was you I would have skipped to the bottom here, sorry for all that above. I'd currently recommend this game for short jaunts on the bus, during a break, or sleepless nights. Its a fun, grinding RPG, You'll keep at simply because its fun and doesnt stop. If the dev could add random quest I could see this staying on my Ipad for awhile. Worth the asking price.

17. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate the feedback. Got lots of plans for the game. The quests you mentioned sounds like certain challenges I was thinking of putting int he game. Working on adding leaderboards ATM. Probably submitting update to apple mid next week.

Still have one code available for today. Next poster get's it. :D

18. Dr_Nachin

Nov 12, 2014
    iOS developer
    Santo Domingo/ Dom Rep.
    Promo codes

Got a few more promo codes for today. Post here if you would like one. Old school RPG fans will love this. Read the reviews by other posters. :D.

19. Brunner

Brunner Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Ok I've been able to play for about a day now, so here's some early impressions. Understand that so far I've only played on an iPad 4, so ymmv... The tutorial is a nice touch, certainly goes a long way toward explaining the meat of the game without keeping you from the action for too long. The graphics work for me, yes they could be cleaner, but I remember a time when this kind of pixel art was a technological marvel so it has a certain nostalgia for me. The game itself is great for short burst gameplay, easy to pick up, knock out a crusade or two and be on your way. There is a minor, but noticeable increase in almost all abilities as soon as you increase them, which is great at providing a feeling of progression even when random chance is against you. I'll update after playing more but right now this has a lot of promise.

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i would like a code if possible... thanks a lot!