Universal Tempest: Pirate Action RPG (by HeroCraft Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by HeroCraftGames, Apr 18, 2017.

1. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    There is a manual on steam

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580868985

Im on the fence here, might buy it if it's relaxing to sail aimlessly through the sea

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Nobody? I think several of us are on the fence because of this.

3. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Reviews of the Steam version: http://bfy.tw/BIlH

4. iJudge

iJudge New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    #44 iJudge, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Great game so far. But I have a major problem:

After a few in game days there is a message to pay you crew. If I choose to pay the game resets himself to the start, I'm unnable to continue my game.

Anyone got this problem too?

Thanks!

5. HeroCraftGames

HeroCraftGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 2, 2012
    #45 HeroCraftGames, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    It's a bug, we'll fix it soon. Thanks for the report! =)

6. CzarBrain

CzarBrain Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012

Well damn.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #47 VirtualBoyFreak, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    I'm looking for player opinions HERE, I know how to search the Internet and I've already read reviews... Is the storyline CLEAR or is it just linked missions... The description itself says there's a storyline, but 148Apps say it's just a bunch of missions without any link between them/a deep story behind them.

8. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    This or the pirate: Caribbean hunt?

9. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    Is this entirely naval focused (I.e. sailing and ship to ship combat) ? Or when you dock at a port, can you disembark, and explore the islands?

10. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    have you read my post on page 2?

imo TPCH is better, more accurate in many aspects, mostly if you want an historically based game (it starts in 1760) and growing up as a pirate, in the caribbean and brazilian area, through the years.
    forget the iaps, they're optional if you really have the patience to sail in open world an board/conquer better ships to extend your fleet and domain.

oh, there's also a great FB community 'cause the game has a cross platforms server, so you can get it free and play also on Steam and Android.

11. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Based on the reviews for the PC version, I am out at this price point.

12. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    It's actually pretty decent game
    Im enjoying sailing along the map
    The flaw of this game is not all of the mechanics are explained clearly
    So i have to resort to a guide from steam
    For half the price on steam it's pretty decent
    Loss my first battle - destroy enemy sail board the ship but lost the fight oh well

13. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    It seems a lot of people who have never played the game have a lot to say about it including a lot of negative
    and all I will say is I paid 8$ for this game the minute I saw it on the App Store and I have zero regret and love this game. Maybe it's not for everyone but please don't judge it until you have actually played it. to me worth every penny

14. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I took a punt on this and I don't think I've progressed to the point where the bug - discussed earlier in the thread and already under investigtion by the dev - could become a problem. Mainly because I've been distracted by the wealth of things to explore and do.

Zero regrets so far. Having a blast and looking good while doing it. My new number one game to play during business travel. Reasonably intuitive. Combat is fluid and satisfying. Did I say it looks good? :D

15. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    The negative point in this game is that not all aspect of the gameplay is covered
    But we got steam online guide for that

I love the first person view from onboard the ship and take my time sailing the sea

If only they could add more animals (sea gull, dolphin, whale erc) it would be lovely

16. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #56 odi0n, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Morrowind meets Pirate Life!

Beautiful game. Took about 10 minutes to understand what's going on. But I'm old school gamer. I come from non hand holding background.

Dev, you need to cater to this new gen, 10min probably too much time for them to figure stuff out.

Anyways, wonderful, beautiful game. If you into call of duty, bang bang and bang, then this is not for you. Definitely some tactics in battles, strategy before battles, to set you up for the ballad of tactics within battle. Example moving your crew around within your ship. Speed, Boarding, Cannon Reload. Take your pick for your style.

Do you Like:

Rome Total War
    Monster Hunter
    XCOM
    Soul Calibur
    Stellar Wanderer
    Jade Empire
    Star Wars KOTOR
    Warlock on top of Fire Mountain

Well, this game will satisfy you. Has bits, chunks or pieces of all these games within it. Why do I add fighting games as a reference to this game? Tactics and the ballad of battle. Has it in the ship battles, and I'm only in the beginning, look forward to getting octopus to attack for me or launching meteors from space.

And it has multiplayer? This game has earned staple in my iPad alongside the ones I mention above. Gorgeous, lucious graphics!

Thanks Dev! Good job. Will gladly buy DLC as long as it's meaningful and adds to the already stellar content.

BUGS I RAN INTO DURING MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH (Unless someone can enlighten me otherwise)
    1) While out at sea in 3D mode, if I enter map, then exit map, game turns me around 180?? (going backwards from where I was heading)

2) Main quest and side quests not noticeable in the compass. It's just icons. Put a BIG color ring around the MAIN quest and put another, but different color for the side quests. So we can differentiate at a GLANCE when looking at the compass.

I personally don't mind going back and forth from the 3D ship into the map overhead, as a my own way of being on the ship and pulling out the map when I need direction (my own hardcore mode) but every time I do that, it keeps turning my damn ship around. Hope you guys fix this or tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Aside from these non game breaking issues, definitely, Morrowind meets Pirate life.

17. HeroCraftGames

HeroCraftGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 2, 2012
    Hi, guys! We start sending the keys for the game. Keys will be sent out over the coming week, so don't panic if you don't get one right away. Thanks for your patience!

18. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    Day 2. Still haven't hit the payday bug mentioned earlier (though have had to pay my crew a couple of times now).

I am still having a blast. There are LOTS of ways to play and each method I've tried so far has been rewarding - though I have tended to favour sailing in realtime, exploring (lots to explore) and simply sinking my enemies. I may have a go at capture as I suspect the loot rewards may be a little higher.

And an incredibly attentive dev who has already replied to concerns raised in the thread and - a first for me - provided dev feedback to my positive AppStore review.

Based on my experience so far, this is well worth the price of a couple of beers and certainly has greater longevity. The price point is fine. The presentation is great and the ARPG gameplay is paced about right.

My only surprise is how comparitively little attention this is getting in the forums and the surprisingly low rating. It's 5 stars all the way for me on my iPhone 6+.

19. oftheheavens

oftheheavens Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    wish i would have read more of the comments before wasting 8 bucks. Seems like a great game but as soon as you have to pay your crew, and click the pay button, the game starts you over at the beginning. So my question is how are more people not complaining about this? If you don't pay you lose 1/4 of your most experienced crew, if you pay them the game starts over.....

20. oftheheavens

oftheheavens Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Do I have to wait weeks, months for an update so I can play this game? I don't know how submissions work, can you do it over the air and fix it like tonight? Hate to contact apple for a refund this seems like a really good game.