Universal Teeny Titans (by Grumpyface Studios & Cartoon Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 23, 2016.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Nailed it.

2. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Is this game release globally or in the US? Can't find it in SG store

3. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I hope this game becomes challenging at some point. It's way too easy so far.

4. Enker

Enker Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Deffinatly out in the UK.

Few hours in and 30/70 characters found I am LOVING this game and it's sense of humor. Item system is great and character modification is brilliant.

Looks like we will get some expanded DCU for later characters too. Pretty sure Clark Kent and Darkside are in there :)

5. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Does anyone know if the multiple Raven personalities from the colors of Raven episode are in this game as figures? If not please for love of God I hope they are added in an update! That was the best episode so far. HILARIOUS.

6. rabidsnork

rabidsnork New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Is it possible to see the rarity of a figure once you own it? I've unlocked a few through the mystery packs that I can't find in the store, so I'm not sure how many stars they have...

7. Bliquid

Bliquid Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for all the kind answers.
    Yes, it's mainly a principle thing to not buy premium stuff with ads.
    Bought.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Out worldwide folks!!! :D

9. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Alright Metal, what's your assessment? You've never lead is astray....

10. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Already? That doesn't bode well. :/

11. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I guess... how do you know those 30 aren't the most common of commons? The Rattata of the game? You don't.

Maybe I'm having a reading issue... is this cross supported? Can I play on my phone and then switch to the same game on my iPad? Or am I going to have to jump through hoops to do so? Or not at all supported?

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Amazing game. I believe it catches the TV show's charm and humor, while giving it the Grumpyface touch of quality gameplay. From visuals, sounds, gameplay, and the sheer addictiveness of character collection, Teeny Titans nails it.

This is hands-down the best Pokemon-ish game on the appstore, and the best part is that it isnt trying to be a clone at all with all its unique gameplay mechanics and Teen Titans charm. Sure the specific anatomy of the game may have already been done in previous games, but the combination of the core mechanics of the game makes this different. For example, the battle system isnt totally turn-based, but more similar to the ATB system of Final Fantasy, somewhat closer to FFX2 specifically if i remember correctly. It also reminds me of Monster Rancher's attack bar with the skills tied to specific parts of the bar.

Control scheme is perfect on mobile, and it utilizes a couple options without having to switch between them. One is similar to pacman games, where swiping in a direction makes you moves in that direction until you decide to stop or swipe to turn, and you can also just use tap-to-move-to-that-spot if that feels more natural. Tap on NPCs to interact with them (talk and challenge to battle), and the rest are visual-oriented tap-on menus.

One thing i want to highlight, is the sheer polish of how the character shop is implemented. You have to experience it to understand what i mean when i say this is a shop-system-with-physics, but man, these devs know quality, that's for sure. Browsing through the shops just feels amazing, and i find myself spending time just browsing through the displays, checking out each toy, and the specials they have available. That, and that your character keeps making side-comments on the actions you make.

I mentioned an ATB battle system similar to Final Fantasy games, so here are some battle-system specifics. You have a bar filling up on its own for your current active character. Your character's "moves" are in certain parts of the bar, and using up that much from the bar when you tap on the skill icon to use it. These "moves" vary from attacks to defensive skills, to debuffs, and buffs, which also may affect your entire team. Tons of strategic choices to be made by creating your team based on your own playstyle. One thing i like to do, is switch to a tanky character while i let the bar fill up, switch to the different characters to use buffs and attacks, and switch back to tanky ones while i let refill again. I also love using Cyborg's skill which fills up the action bar a significant amount in exchange for a few points of HP.

At the end of a battle, your characters gain experience, and on level up may either gain points to add to a stat of your choice, or gain skills which may be active or passive.

$3.99 is amazing for this much quality in a mobile game, and there is no IAP to be found anywhere. The currency balance is PERFECT, as it is a perfect reminder of how classic premium console games are balanced.

So if it isnt obvious yet, this gets 9 thousand thumbs up from me, and is highly, highly recommended if you love RPGs, character collection, the show or just mobile gaming. It's games like this on mobile that made me abandon console games, and im glad i made that decision. 5-stars all the way.

Oh, and i cant find anything wrong with the game, not one bug encountered, or any game mechanic that i thought weak. None. Maybe i could find something if i nitpick, but i have zero issues in the game at all so far.

13. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for playing, everyone!! And yes, the game is now out worldwide! Sorry for the wait!

Though there are spots and later tournaments that can be pretty challenging, we did try to keep a wide audience in mind when it came to our difficulty progression. However one thing to think about: you can actually control the degree of challenge based on what team you roll around with and how often you try new figures.

So if you level up and upgrade a core group like crazy, you're definitely going to do well and the game will definitely become easier, but try swapping to newer/lower chars and you'll face a bigger challenge and have to think more strategically to survive. (We hope people do that anyway, since there are so many chars to try, many of them with different play styles!)

Getting new chars is a bit front loaded -- the more you get, the harder it will become to track down the remaining ones.

But to set expectations: we've seen that beating the story mode takes on average 10-12ish hours, and getting 100% overall takes on average 14-18 hours or more. We're pretty proud of that length for a mobile game :)

Happy to answer any questions you guys might have!

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm still waaaaay too early in but I can see this being totally Game of the Year worthy. :) Honestly, this may top Attack the Light as my favorite Grumpyface game.

15. GrumpyfaceChris

#55 GrumpyfaceChris, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Wow, thanks so much Exact (and metal casket)! Definitely passing your post on the team and can't tell you how excited it makes me to see someone enjoy the game this much. Thank you!!

P.S. Your note about no bugs... Love reading that, but I can definitely think of a few lurking in there, haha! We actually have a fast follow patch coming to address some minor issues. If anyone sees any problems, please feel free to report them and we will be on them.

To those who have asked: yes the game has full iPad support. To ensure the save carries over, try exiting to title screen and then closing the app when you are done playing on one device, and make sure the game is closed on the other device until you are ready to play there.

16. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That's fair enough, I guess. Sometimes we do have unrealistic expectations about the lenght of a $4 mobile game. 10-12 hours is more than fine.

That said, any chance on implementing harder difficulties?

17. GrumpyfaceChris

One thing we'd love to do is a very difficult optional/secret tournament, as well as some sort of randomized fights feature (maybe in a special arena) that's more challenging.

If the game does well, we'd love to update and add more. Tons we could do. We will be keeping notes of all suggestions and requests, and always try to keep those in mind anytime we can go back and add more to a game.

18. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Are the colors of Raven characters in this?

19. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Dammit, EP. Now I HAVE to get it!

20. GrumpyfaceChris

Nope -- they were considered, but we ended up choosing 4 other variants. So there's 5 types of Ravens you can collect, like 80s Raven. One of those five is a new costume made for the game :)