iPad TaxiDrive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jecebn, Jun 6, 2009.

1. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG][app]TaxiDrive[/app] - $0.99

Has anyone tried this? Looks pretty interesting, the art style reminds me of Flight Control. Anyone wanna TOFTT?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    this looks really good, i am about to pick up a gift card. maybe after ill toftt

3. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Why does this look almost exactly like Flight Control? Sheer coincidence? ;)

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Looks interesting. I'm TOFTT. Downloading..................

5. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Looks kind of like a faster version of Flight control with a slightly different concept. I'm awaiting Danny's thoughts, it looks pretty good to me.

6. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #6 dannys95, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
    Before I post impressions, thought I would point out something hilarious. If you tap the girl, the stats page come up. But what happens is the sound fx of a car braking or crashing plays because her top.........well..........:

[​IMG]

I found it hilarious. :D

Anyways, impressions. The game is indeed like Flight Control. You are the taxi driver, and you must pick-up and drive your customer though the busy and crowded streets of New York. One thing I should point out is that there IS instructions. When you tap on the menu, just tap "Driving School". Anyways, Level 1 "Central Park" is where you begin. It starts off easy but turns pretty hard as you progress. If you crash, you die. But as you get more money, you get a new taxi (a.k.a a life). So if you crash you can continue. You must get enough money to unlock the next level (you need $300 to unlock level 2 (Midtown) and $500 to unlock level 3).

I've only unlocked the second map but it seems pretty different. It has more roads for you to go though but it also is harder / has more other cars in the freaking way:

[​IMG]

I'd give it the thumbs up. So far it's running smoothly and it's fun. The only "warning" I thought I should point out is something I saw in the description. It's $1 introductory price....................and an update will add new levels supposedly.........but it appears different cities will be added in new apps not updates. Still, at $1 it's good.

Oh forgot to mention controls. You can either tap little by little or just tap where the taxi is supposed to go and it will auto-plot it. I do little by little so I don't crash. :p

7. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Thanks for the impressions Danny. After reading that I just picked this. :D

8. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Seems a bit like pacman to me...might just have to give it a go! :D

9. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Looks fun, but can anyone confirm it's not compatible with 1st gen Ipod Touch? :mad:

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Caution

This game entirely lacks the elegant, fluid, and intuitive controls that [app]Flight Control[/app] provides. If you want to buy it because you think it might be a good game in its own right, go for it; just don't buy it with the expectation that it will be, "Flight Control with cars", because it's not.

11. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Damn, I can't resist. /goes to get

12. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So after a few more days with it, still good?

13. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Perhaps they've modified their description but it now reads:

So they're at least IMPLYING there is more coming in updates for this app.

14. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I couldn't wait and am having fun with it so far.

Enh, I still contend it's Flight Control in a Taxicab.

While it's very true they went to great lengths to make it practically LOOK as if had come from the same developer (the color palette, cell shading, style of control, lady standing by the menu, etc.) they did a really nice job of it and it runs crystal smooth on my 2G iTouch (maybe it's not as smooth on the 1G?).

You lose some freedom of movement, sure, compared to Flight Control since you have to navigate streets, and you really only control the one Taxi, but I like how the fares can need you to take them from any point on the map to any other point. Obviously for wacky gameplay purposes, maneuvering through the map is a lot like the maze of Pac-Man since all roads are one lane meaning you have to watch out for oncoming traffic. You also don't appear to have any control of your speed (it's full speed or nothing) which makes traveling behind a much slower moving car very awkward. I like how, even though the traffic isn't "out to get you", you really have no clue how the other cars are going to navigate through the maze (will they turn or go straight at that next intersection?) and so in some ways this makes things even nastier than in Flight Control to plot out.

I'm not sure how fare payments work other than those who need to travel further across town pay more. I have to ASSUME being a twit and giving them an unwanted "tour of the city" will not get you more money.

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Wow, a complete style copy.
    But you see in the video with a it's cheap details, that somebody just wanted to make some quick money on the firemint wave. Poor.

16. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So if they used similar gameplay mechanics but at least made a little more effort to not rip off the graphical style as blatantly it might have been a little better?

17. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    It was stupid of them to almost exactly copy Flight Controls graphics because I think the game itself is excellent.

I actually prefer it to Flight Control because it's more fast paced and has a different objective (get someone from point A to B instead of guiding multiple planes at the same time).

18. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    my high score is only $324

19. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Im trying to like this game, Im just really bad at playing it... I don't think Ive gotten higher than $200 so far :rolleyes:

20. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You just need to tap into your Pac-Man skillz!