iPad Taxiball Promo Code?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by selfawaregames, Jul 31, 2009.

1. selfawaregames

selfawaregames Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Making games. Really, did you have to ask?
    Redwood City, CA
    #1 selfawaregames, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    Alright - so, one of the things that I'm finding sort of odd is that while Taxiball's gotten a lot of pretty great reviews (one of Offworld's 15 games you need, one of GamesRadar's best Free iPhone games (for the Free version), etc.), and response from people who've played the game has been really good, and the free version of the game's been accused of having too much, rather than too little...

Why hasn't the Free version gotten more downloads than it has?

If you haven't tried it yet, why?

(I'm asking because it's going to be relevant for the next thing we're working on. I hope this doesn't come off as I'm whining - I'm trying to find out how or why a Free game picks up momentum, since so far it hasn't happened for TB Free)

I have a number of Taxiball codes that I'll give out. Won't tell you how many. But I'm looking for thoughtful, insightful feedback. Bring up something that I haven't thought of, and you'll be in the running for a code!

Thanks!
    seppo

2. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    #2 RobCRX, Jul 31, 2009
    Wow this is a great game! the graphics remind me of Habbo hotel, and the music and sound effects match the gameplay perfectly. The thing is, I have never heard of it. Have you guys publicized this app alot? Because I've never heard anyone talk about it. Another suggestion is a scoreboard. I don't see one for online scores. I think that's another big deal in most games. I usually look for rankings when I go to play a game. Good game + Good Ranking System=Great game.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #3 drelbs, Jul 31, 2009
    Bought this one when it was on sale.

I think I am guilty of not going back and posting reviews on Lite apps that I have bought the full version of, I'll check for Taxi Ball...

It is interesting to see the difference in reviews between lite and full versions of apps, I usually check them both out before buying a game (and of course reading the forums & reviews here!)

EDIT: Submitted a review for the lite version. :cool:

4. Krispod

Krispod Well-Known Member

May 19, 2009
    Many people dont wont to have lite versions, they wont the real stuff you now.

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I'll give my reasons for not trying it out, but you're right. Everything I've read about the game has very positive feedback/reviews. I've personally stopped trying lite versions unless I'm genuinely interested in the game. There have been way too many games I've tried and just wasted my time and have just become extremely picky when trying lite versions, and likely missing out on some gems....

There are 2 things that stand out for me.
    The graphics. It just looks like a cell phone port, and most of the time, they play like a cell phone port....could be wrong but that's the first and only thing I see from the screenshots. They just don't do it for me.

Other thing is since it's an accelerometer based game, I need to know I can configure it to play in bed (which is where I play most of my games). You say "intuitive controls" but I need to know that I can configure them to play in a lying down position?

It's probably not fair to judge it by its looks and as you've said and I've read...glowing reviews, but just unable to take the leap as sad as it sounds...
    Just my personal views, take it for what it's worth.

6. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    Yea a joystick would be cool, but I think the purpose of the game is to be innovative and use the ipods hardware.

I personally like the graphics, Fancy doesn't always mean better. The game plays well too.

7. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    The reason I haven't tried out Taxiball yet it because I'm too lazy to download the lite version.

I rarely download lite versions only because searching for it, downloading it, playing it, then deleting it takes a painstakingly long amount of time on my 1st gen iPhone. I would rather use that time playing another game rather than demoing a game that I'm not that interested in. Sure, it got great reviews and all, but I have no clue what the game is about. The lite version will, of course, show what the game is about, but for now I'm too lazy to download lite versions.

Don't flame me for being lazy, most of you are lazy at times.

Oh, and I barely have space on my iPhone for a lite version of the game.

8. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    Yea I tend not to download lite versions of games I've never heard of. When game is publicized it gets recognition. Those games are the only ones I download the lite version for.

9. elrey117

elrey117 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    "lite and free"

i like the game,reminds me of habbo but i think people dont want lite versions because they are usually very short like gamelofts lite version

usually u need to advertise the lite version a little then it wil get more people but i guess people dont want to have the word "free" or "lite" in the games or in the icons

10. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    Exactly, advertising sells games.

11. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    Definitely won't flame anyone for being lazy - my personal experience is exactly the same. "Free" at this point may mean that you don't pay $$ for the content, but you do pay in *time*, which is becoming increasingly important on a platform like the iPhone where you could download free stuff basically all day.

That was one of the reasons we wanted to make sure that your progress in the Free version carried over into the paid version - but we didn't account for the shift in mentality - when we started building Taxiball, "free" versions of the game weren't completely, totally over-saturated yet. By the time we released, several months later, the landscape had clearly changed. :p

Thanks for the insight!
    seppo

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Coz I already bought the full version..

And like other said. With so many games available for iPhone, I dont have enough time to play the ones I already paid for. Who has the time and energy left to try out the lite version???

I think only those who buy just a few games a month try out the lites. Most of us never bother. We look at the reviews and if the game is interesting enough, we buy it. No time for any lites here.,.....

13. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    I DID try the lite, on the back of the excellent reviews you mentioned, I gave it a go, and deleted right away. I can only repeat what was said above...:(

14. selfawaregames

May 20, 2009
    Redwood City, CA
    We've publicized as much as we can afford to. Probably placing ads on sites like TA, and other specifically-iPhone sites would be sensible, but our ad budget is... well, nothing, at this point. It's interesting, because again, like the issue with free games, the landscape changed in the months it took to build the game. Free versions when we started were enough to generate the hype - that *was* your ad budget. Now, it seems like with so many games, and with so many big players, you really do have to get eyes on the game to get people to give it a shot. The momentum's definitely shifting away from the small developers, and more towards those that can pay to advertise. :p

Thanks!
    seppo

ps: There actually is a very tightly integrated online leaderboard system - you can either check out global ranks, compete against your friends, etc. After every level, your score's posted to the leaderboard. So I'm curious - was it just something you weren't able to find in-game? Again, not meant as an "accusation," I'm just wondering why, so we can address it moving forward. :)

15. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Alright, I just went over and looked at the iTunes description for the Lite version and here's my take on it.

You start with:

Try out Taxiball with Taxiball Free, priced at a bargain basement cost of NOTHING! Take a spin through the Tutorial level, and try out your skills in a complete city of the full game! Earn Awards, post your scores on the Global Leaderboards, and add people to your Friends List! Best of all, once you've mastered N00bsville and are ready for a real challenge, all your progress, scores, Awards, and Friends carry over seamlessly to the Full Version!

Honestly, while that sounds neat...it really doesn't tell me anything about the game at all...just stuff that can happen if I do really well at it. As a prospective buyer, I would read that first paragraph and move on...it is not until a long list of glowing reviews that you actually start telling me what your game does and that's too late. I will have read the first paragraph and moved on. Your app description is too long.

I know you want to let everyone know how much people love it and how great the reviews have been, but it takes waaaaaay too much reading to get there and I have to really hunt for it that info.

Everyone's got somewhere to go, and only Taxiball can help! Use intuitive tilt controls to guide the Taxiball to pick up and drop off fares to earn as much $$ as you can before the clock expires!

That stuff needs to go at the top. Once I have an idea of what the game is about, then you can tell me why it will be fun, challenging, and rewarding, and then you can tell me how much other people have loved it.

Also, +1, I can see the graphics being a turn off for some...but that would apply to both the full and Lite versions.

16. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Man.... I got a phone call as I was about to type my response and Mr. Charley took the words out of my mouth. The graphics are not great. It's like rolling a ball through SimCity. There's no real appeal, especially at the $5 price.

Also, it feels kind of labyrinth-like, which limits your audience to those who play games in a stable, upright environment. People who play in bed or on subways or whatever might not be as likely to buy.

One of my big issues with lite versions is that I don't want to get hooked on a game that is very costly, so I usually avoid lite versions of games that are pricey ($5 or more). It's one of those "don't know what you've got til it's gone" kind of situations. Better to not play at all than get hooked on a lite and crave the expensive full version.

Also, outside of seeing your threads on TA, I had never heard of it and haven't come across it in the App Store. Have you sent copies to review sites? I learn of a lot of games through those.

Otherwise, it's hard to say why the lite doesn't get downloaded? Could just be the fact that there are now 60,000 apps in the store, as opposed to half of that in the spring. Lot of high profile games really steal the spotlight.

17. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I have to agree. I haven't seen much, if any, publicity around this game. My suggestions would be to get on forums like this one and talk about your game more. Make sure you show a good quality video with your screenshots to really showcase your game. That attracts so much more interest than just static pictures. Announce updates and ask for suggestions on future updates. Everyone likes a developer who is directly involved with the community and continues to support their game(s). If you decide to give out promo codes, don't just give them out because then people won't usually leave reviews. Make it a fun contest or a discussion (like this) so that it generates more interest. I would then recommend following up through out the thread. Respond to people's ideas and answer their questions. Again, this shows developer's support, but it also keeps the game on the front page of the forums and reaching a larger audience.

18. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    I see my stats...but is there an online scoreboard in the lite version? Or is it full version only?

19. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    #19 PureSkill, Jul 31, 2009
    I just tried the lite version and think it is good. I beat the tutorial and got quite a few awards. The graphics fit the gameplay and all of the necassary functions for a game are there, like resuming where you left off, and calibrating the accelerometer.

I havent tried the lite until now because I havent heard about the game yet. If it was already featured here on TA, then I must have missed it and so I never really knew about it.

The reason why I think that the lite version hasnt gotten more downloads is because most people are avoiding lite versions and the game just hasnt gotten much attention, But I could be wrong. I personally try many lite versions and keep the ones that I like.

20. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    I agree, videos also get me. Sometimes if a game doesn't look good from a picture, I overlook it completely. Videos usually sell me if the gameplay and graphics are good.