Universal Tavern Guardians (by WOMBO TEST)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Feb 23, 2017.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes I have and it was not good for me. You do not rebuild your wall at all, not even when there are no monsters on the board. I pretty much spent that whole (very short) game on the defensive trying to stay alive.

2. Thanks for confirming! I hope it is indeed impossible to get it as a drop, as that could kill a good run.

3. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I agree with your concerns. I don't like the grinding/hoarding aspect but afaik it is currently required if you want to remain competitive... I wish they could get rid of it and let us jump into the game without worrying (grinding) about it...

4. My game finally came to an end at Tavern 18. Took almost two hours of actual total play time. I'm not sure I'm going to want to try and beat that. Maybe a little at a time. Will see.

5. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Once you have maxed out all of the characters the power ups are the only thing you can spend coins on. At that point your coins are going to start accumulating regardless. So at some point everyone is going to have the ability to buy everything that comes along with out having to grind or hoard. Then the scores will even out with those of the people who were grinding and hoarding in the beginning. That's how it plays out in my mind anyways.

6. Not really. No matter how much you play, you will only amass coins if you don't spend them too often. The strategy becomes -- play for a while without spending so you have a nice chunk of change to spend on a game and go all out, trying to make it as long as possible. So the more time you're willing to waste making and saving coins, the better chance you have of hitting a high score. Obviously there's more to it than that, but I see this as a huge imbalance. It's what made me stop playing Dungeon Tiles, despite really enjoying the gameplay. If the coins you can spend were limited to the coins you earn on that game, the choice of whether to buy something or not would hold much more meaning. "Do I buy this now or save up for something better that might come around later?" With potentially unlimited funds and unlimited storage, you can buy everything that you see.

7. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I agree with you about the storage but I don't know about the coins. This is a very rogue-like game mechanic, however most rogue-likes don't have competitive scoring to worry about so... I don't know. Ultimately I'm fine with it because I'm not comparing scores and just want to see how far I can push it.

8. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    At that point one hopes the Devs release more characters to spend the coins on or even more stats that can be enhanced?
    Another thought could be to introduce sets of armour or legendary gear as a money sink.
    All depends what vision the Devs have for this game.

9. Trying for a high score is the money sink, though. I don't think more of a money sink is necessary, so much as some limitations on how it can be spent. Maybe I'm just too much of a purist, but when a game is a high score chaser, I like each of my attempts to count, not just be a means to an end.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I read through all the comments.

For the hint haters(me included), realize the hints only match 3 tiles, even when there are 4, 5, or more tile matches available so I never use the hints.

Interesting discussion between AppUnwrapper and sobriquet in the last page or 2. I have just played Paladin, got to Tavern 9 on my first run and have not yet reached it again. Thought about gold hoarding and decided that was more hardcore than I wanted. I like the casual nature in the levels of deciding between 1 expensive thing, or several inexpensive things. I only upgrade my character upon death. So, I think that improving the "balance" for the hardcore players will make things decidedly more difficult for casual players that play like I am doing.

Just food for thought for the developers as they might have to chose to make the much more experienced, hardcore players happy, or make the more casual players happy. Maybe there is a good middle.

11. Hmm... I'm pretty sure I got a hint for a 4-tile -- and I most definitely used it.

12. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Ok, that's it. This game is receiving a lot of hype, so I'm taking the plunge.

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    In that case, trickle on down! (Apologies, but I could not resist.)

14. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This game is brilliant.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You have a LOT more hours in than I, so I will take your word for it. I have only seen 3 block match hints. No matter though, as I think the vast majority opinion is that we don't need no stinking hint system (said with the appropriate accent of course).

16. TZimmerman

TZimmerman Active Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Ok....I bought the game got to the 5th Tavern and had to go back to work. I had a break went to play and back like I never played before. What exactly did I do wrong?

17. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    What is that red line that keeps making a rectangular motion around the top of the grid when I'm using the gunner?

18. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #158 sobriquet, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    One of his abilities does increased damage when there are no enemies in the first three rows. That outline circles everything behind those first three lines. My guess is that the red line is a visual cue for easy recognition.

On a similar note, does anyone know what the glowing red swords that flash above the enemies at the beginning of some turns means?

19. I think that means they got an attack boost.

20. Mrwubbs

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks a lot! This game is amazing!