Universal Tavern Guardians (by WOMBO TEST)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Feb 23, 2017.

1. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Hey guys,

We are very glad that you like our game!
    Give us a honest rating in this thread at your convenience will be very helpful to us:D

Thanks for playing!

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, this is just fantastic. Really nothing to add to the thread. I'm sure with the current feedback, it's only going to get better and better.

Also, there's no need for "TavernGuardians" when you can fit in the whole thing. ;) When "Binding of Isaac" fits, Tavern Guardians can too. Just have to make the text smaller, I guess?

3. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Interesting information about the icon name! We will try!
    Thanks!

4. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I think you'll love it #

5. I was recording and got to tavern 16, but needed to take a break. 1.5 hr game so far. I like the mage.

6. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Great game, definitely worth the 3 bucks!

7. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    It plays like a match 3 game but every turn is about attacking, defending or rebuilding/healing. All the tile represent something relevant to your character. Stones build up defenses, food regenerates health, coins go in your pocket to buy power ups during the game or to permanently upgrade your character between games, potion bottles (mana) somehow effect your cool down timers for special attacks (I haven't figured that out yet) and arrows call in archery support. Machine three tiles attacks all monsters next to it. Each level ends in with a boss fight. You play until you loss and then start over with whichever upgrades you can afford. The game really shines in variety of monsters and the way each type can effect the game tiles or other monsters. Your characters are unique from each other in almost every regard and each needs its own strategy. There are tons of power ups. I see new ones almost every game and they are actually pretty useful. I don't know what else I can say, this game is really neat and a bunch of fun to play.

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    An honest rating? Lol even if i was trying hard to be dishonest how could i possibly rate such a game below 5 stars? Impossible

9. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Okay I went ahead and bought it despite the hints since the dev has been so responsive and said they'd look into fixing this and other issues.

I have to say that the hints don't bother me at all because I can easily ignore them. They are not optimal moves, so they are pointless and the animation does not distract at all.

10. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Mage is awesome. Keep matching 4 or more tiles and she gets a buffer zone which means armour and health can't be touched......so important on boss battles. My longest run is with the Mage.

11. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I was wondering how and why that ice block kept forming!

12. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #113 sobriquet, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Not sure if you guys are aware but if you tap the little circles next to the image of your character on the character screen it gives you the details of each ability. Each character actually has 5 abilities 2 of them being automatic. For example the paladin gets bonus health, that can go beyond his max, if he matches 4 or more tiles and the mage's ice barrier which in addition to being armor can also be stacked up to four time.

This game blows my mind!

13. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Nope. Very helpful. Thanks!

14. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I guess it is all just a matter of opinion then.
    Like you I went ahead and bought the game despite the hints. Whereas you don't mind them I find them very distracting, even irrating.
    I just cant help but focus on them. I find myself rushing the game so they dont start vibrating.
    I still hope the dev will give gamers an option just to turn the buggers off.

Oh and one more small whinge.
    The music is horrid. At least I have the option to turn that off. #

15. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    We are working on the on/off function of hints now!:D

16. ZombieCurt

ZombieCurt New Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Having an incredible time so far. I would love to see some new game modes (maybe a mode where you can permanently buy or start with upgrade items). Or increasing the maximum upgrades per character (more than the 4 available so far).
    Other character classes would be great, too! What about a "Joker" class character that can rearrange pieces on the board or rotate the board180 degrees to put enemies back at the top of the board? These are all ideas that might be silly but might also expand an already fantastic game.

Anyways, not regretting spending the 3 bucks. This game is great!

17. There is an item that lets you swap the two sides of the board. But yeah, you can't just start the game with it.

18. ZombieCurt

ZombieCurt New Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Awesome!! I haven't found that particular item yet. Thanks :)

19. Actually it might have only swapped a few rows. I forget now. But it was similar to your idea.