Universal Tavern Guardians (by WOMBO TEST)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Feb 23, 2017.

1. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    impressions please, please!

2. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I was seriously craving some "Puzzlequest"-type games and then this appears today. I'm swooping this up. No questions asked. I'll leave some impressions tonight or tomorrow after I get an hours worth of playtime.

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Yea I grabbed it too but no wifi at work so will have to wait till I get home.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I played the demo for a good few weeks.
    As said above, I personally think this game is Dungeon Raid-level classic.
    If you even kind of like match-3, just buy it. You won't regret it.

5. libtroll

libtroll Member

Nov 13, 2014
    I keep going "home" to upgrade my hero and when I return my progress is lost :-d

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Same here. I had asked about that earlier. Wish it would save your progress even just for the sake of wanting to play later.

7. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Seeing the trailer in my app store, wow, my expectations went sky high...must own this. And if it plays only half as good as Hero Emblems, than i'm a happy gamer.

Some quick imps and starting with an unbeloved (and in this case: hated) issue...

Please dear Devs, give us the option to STOP THE HIGHLIGHTING OF THE TILES! PLEASE!

Looks, feels and sounds nice. Very nice, actually. Unfortunately (for me) no volume slider for the music.

You can't continue to make matches, you have to wait until the board settles.

The enemies have those attack numbers. If they reach zero, they attack you. Strong!

After a level you'll have five options to spend your earned cash for some buffs during this game (if i'm right). I'm not sure yet how to acctivate them. Probably passive buffs?

No story, and a highscore chaser only?!?

There seems to be quite some strategy involved, also depending on which of the four heros you're playing with, once you unlocked them.

Nitpicking: Tavern Gua... under the icon. Not thought out until the very end of the developing/appearance process.

Difficult to recommend after only 30 minutes. Maybe some match-3 Pro's will tell you more and better. But i'm happy i bough it.

8. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    There's no story but I'm not sure it's a high score chaser. It's level based so I'm guessing there's an end.

To me it's similar to Solitairica in that you can play through the game with each class and I *think* try to get to the end.

I'm honestly loving it. The enemies are fairly challenging even in early levels so I don't know how tough they get later.

It's different than other match 3 RPGs in that your trying to prevent enemies from getting to your tavern rather than simply killing them. Kind of like Plants vs. Zombies in that regard.

Tons of replayability with different classes having different attributes. Start with four but unlock more as you go on.

Yes, it doesn't have that true RPG feel like Hero Emblems but it's addictive. Honestly the comparison to Solitairica is probably the most appropriate in replay value.

Only thing I have an issue with is it not saving progress if you go to the home screen (doesn't even warn you).

9. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Hello everyone,

I'm Jin from WOMBO COMBO GAMES, the developer of this game.
    We are very glad that you guys are interested in our game!

If you have any question or feedback, please feel free to tell me in this thread.
    I will reply you ASAP. (We are in Japan, so due to the time zone difference, we may not send you an reply immediately.)

Many thanks!:)

10. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Thanks for joining! Awesome game!

As I mentioned in my previous post, my only complaint is that it doesn't save if you quit mid-game. Any chance that could be added?

And is there an ending for each class?

11. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Thank you for playing our game.:D

About your 1st question,
    I need to have a discussion with my partners later and then give you a reply.(It's 8AM here, so I will reply you 1 or 2 hours later)

About your 2nd question, there are no ending for each class.
    Just a highscore chaser like Dungeon Raid.

12. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Oh, ok. It seemed to be stage based so I wasn't sure.

A story mode would be awesome ...hint...hint... and I'd be more than willing to pay for it!

13. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    #33 MintCity, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    I bought it earlier today and I am LOVING it. It doesn't have a story mode like Puzzlequest. It is set up in a format consisting of levels that you go through. Each level has a boss at the end. The goal is for you to try to go as far as you can without dying. It's set up similarly to Dungeon Raid in this aspect, except I think there may be an ending.

You can choose from 4 classes that each have unique abilities to help you on board full of coins, stone, arrows, meat, and mana potions. You match stone in order to armor up the place your defending. Enemies have to break away your armor in order to get to your health. You match arrows to attack enemies. You match meat to restore your health. Matching mana potions reduces the cool down of your abilities. Matching coins gathers you money to buy items at the end of each level in order to gain attributes to help you in your journey, such as gaining a chance of inflicting poison every time you attack. You can also spend the money you earn on leveling up attributes of your character once you die.

Occasionally treasure chests appear. You obtain them by causing them to fall to the bottom of the board through matching other things beneath them. These treasure chests contain random items to help you out (of course).

Enemies slowly move down the board towards your "tavern" and attack you once they reach the bottom. Some units can attack from a distance (a couple rows from the bottom) and/or effect the board in different ways. Enemies hit pretty hard if you let them get too close, especially the bosses. Bosses can traverse the board in different ways than just slowly moving to the bottom. It really makes you strategize whether making a match below enemies is worth it, since it will cause them to get closer to your tavern. You can also match items near enemies to inflict damage to them.

All in all, this is totally worth 2.99. It's incredibly addicting and has a ton of replay value. I love it. Good work devs! Hope my impressions helped!

14. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Thanks for your hint.:D
    We will have a discussion about your advice later,
    perhaps we will add it in a update.

15. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for the imps! This alone will stop me from buying the game unless and until it can be toggled. Stresses me out trying to beat the spoilers!

16. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, not a big fan of the hints either.

JIN913, is adding a toggle to turn them off something else you could consider?

17. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    #37 sakara214ever, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Due to low budget this week i have to choose between this and dungeon rushers. Tough...

18. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    weird, and kinda funny.. thanks..

19. TZimmerman

TZimmerman Active Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Well I was going to buy it but if there is no way to save your progress....then I will wait. It be nice to play a few levels or so then come back later...not lose everything every time. That way if you play on a lunch break or here and there.

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    What do you mean? I just beat level one and closed it out and when I re opened it I was on level 2. Maybe there is no saves mid level?