Universal Tavern Guardians (by WOMBO TEST)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalwastebasket, Feb 23, 2017.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #241 LordGek, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    I also agree previous gold should not be carried over in game, but am cool with it still accumulating and being used for meta game stuff like stat upgrades. Although I'm okay with, as others have chimed in, losing the stat upgrade aspect and allowing players to used that saved cash instead for new modes, classes, etc. (but PLEASE no skins, I'm getting so tired of games including skins that have no actual gameplay effect).

Oh, is the GC stuff working in regards to Daily/Weekly/All-Time scores? It would appear that I can't get a Daily high score unless I beat my current All-Time score.

2. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I see there's been an update. Hints = off/on ? #

3. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Unfortunately no. That's the next update.

4. Chuckrogue

Chuckrogue New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Is anybody stuck on the tutorial level at the point where it tells you to swipe for the first time? My game seems to freeze at that point. :(

5. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    We knew this bug in Monday, we are now working on it!
    Perhaps we will ask you some question later.

6. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Can you check this video?--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJuQPamnAzk
    Did you operate like this video?

Thanks for help

7. Chuckrogue

Chuckrogue New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Makes sense now. It's working. Thanks. The way the hand was gesturing in the tutorial made it look like it was swiping from top to bottom. All is good.

8. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Nice! Sorry for the misleading animation!:D:D:D

9. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Hey, MacGyver

Did you operate like this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJuQPamnAzk
    Just to be sure, because after I showed video to the other 2 players who reported this bug too, they said it's working!

10. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    I know the length of battle animation is maybe a problem,
    but the speed up function what you want is not easy to make.
    So, I cannot promise you anything, but we will take a discussion about it!

11. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    #251 JIN913, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Patch1.0.1

We just released Patch 1.0.1
    Patch 1.0.1
    - Fixes the crash when starting the game under the Traditional Chinese system
    - Other minor fixes
    (Achievement notification bug)
    *Balancing issue、Hints ON/OFF function and mid-game saving function will be released in next patch.

And our game is featured on the homepage of App Store US now!!!
    If you like our game, please give us your honest review and rating again on App Store.

[​IMG]

12. Hey dev, I got a new high score yesterday but it's not showing up on GameCenter. Only my second-highest shows. :( Something to do with the latest update?

13. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    #253 JIN913, Mar 1, 2017
    Some questions from our programmer?
    - When you get your new high score, did you see it on your local High Score board?
    - If you saw it, did you lost your new high score at the local High Score screen too? (just like the gamer center one)
    - We released our latest update on 5:38 AM today (Japan time). When did you lost your score?

Thanks

14. Yes, it showed up on my local high score board and is still there. But GameCenter only lists the second one.

I know I updated the app before finishing that game.

15. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Thanks for you answer.
    We haven't touched any thin about online high score,
    but we are going to test and find the cause of the problem.

16. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    #256 JIN913, Mar 1, 2017
    Actually, I think you guys are right.
    But in our game, because some reason the iPhone save data and the iPad save data is a little bit different structrurally.
    There will be a lots of bugs if we try to synchronize between iPad and iPhone.
    We design this just for the situation that you might change the device or delete your app by a mistake.

Sorry for you inconvenience

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Oh don't worry, I was just curious.
    The game won't leave my iPhone anytime soon anyway :)

While I think that as it is the game can be exploited hoarding gold, I'm having a ton of fun anyway, especially with the paladin (the other characters are already maxed out but I don't like them or they are too easy).
    It's a great 'board control' game.

Making gold non transferable between games (but maybe giving you the choice to equip some items after a boss) and having separate leaderboards (different characters have very different difficulty) would make the game a great score chaser too, more 'pure' rogue like imho.
    But to be honest the game is great and ton of fun as it is already.

18. aux80

aux80 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    #258 aux80, Mar 1, 2017
    I've been playing for a few days now. There are some tips I feel would be valuable to new players, or potential buyers. This is NOT an RPG! Anyone looking for some kind of story, or really any story at all, will be terribly disappointed.

This is a match 3 game with character attributes you can level up. It doesn't take very long to get them to max level either, so that element of the game will be finished very quickly.

If you want to play on easy mode, play as the Mage. The Mage is extremely powerful. I started as the Paladin, because some people were saying the Paladin is so good. The Mage is much, much more powerful.

Whatever items you are awarded during gameplay, or items you purchase in the shop during gameplay, will vanish as soon as you are defeated. I would not recommend spending any gold on items in the shop until after you have maxed the attributes of all four playable characters. After that is done, you will only be able to spend gold on disposable items.

Tavern Guardians can be played offline, no internet connections is required. When you close the app, the game automatically saves the number of the level you are on. Your progress in the level is not saved, but you can restart that level the next time you open the app. So if you were on the 4th wave, you can start on the 4th wave again. But like if you were one turn away from beating the boss when you closed the app, you will have to beat him again. Hope that makes sense.

PS - I just tested it to be sure, and your gold count is only saved after you beat the boss and progress to the next level.

There's only one "mode", I guess you would call it continuous. This is more of a high score game than anything. See how far you can progress into it, if you can beat your previous records. It's a lot like Bejeweled 2 in that regard. There is no PvP of any kind, not even leaderboards.

---

I would rate this game 6.9/10, because of the item system. The item system needs to be changed. When you buy items in the shop, they should not vanish after you are defeated. Collecting items could add another dimension to the gameplay, and add replay value.

19. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    We found the cause of the bug!
    We made a small but stupid mistake in the last patch, we will fix it in next patch.
    Sorry for the bug

20. JIN913

JIN913 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Game Designer
    Japan
    Thanks for the compliment and feedback!
    I have to say all your advice is right!

> Making gold non transferable between games
    @AppUnwrapper mentioned this issue too. About this issue, making gold non transferable from now is very dangerous to this game. (It will cause a lot of bugs)
    So we are discussing about it now, hope we can find a good and safety method to improve the problem.

> separate leaderboards
    Someone gave us this idea too in this thread. We think it's a good idea, so we will add it into the game in the future.
    (but not the next patch)

Thank you again.
    And I want to say I like TouchArcade, there are many pro player here!