TA's new look

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by killercow, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There's a search box at the far right of the new top banner. It works when you are not in the forum, but it is still shown in the forum and is nonfunctional. It should either not be shown there or should work. A box that would search both front page articles and forum threads would be great btw.

2. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I go to appshopper now to see the new games. That was one of the main reasons I searched Touch Arcade. The comments about the new games on the
    right side of the screen was another easy way to read peoples impressions
    of games.

The new look does not work for me.

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    The main reason to visit TA !

Overall i really like the new look and i'm convinced that with some tweaks over the next few days, we soon feel home again.

4. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    Not sure why you guys canned the 'new games' section for a useless 'hot games' section.
    If I want to see hot games, ill go to the App Store charts

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    App Store customers generally like a lot of... how do I put this? Generic, boring and repetitive games. Probably because the majority of them aren't really into gaming as a hobby. TA members are, however, so if you consider yourself a fellow gamer it'd make a lot more sense to view their recommendations over that of Joe Public.

6. forrestbro

forrestbro New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    I don't like the new look.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The new look is awesome on the real Touch Arcade page, but when you get to the forums, the illusion is destroyed.

The forum just looks really ugly compared to the slick and minimalistic new look, in my opinion, though that could be an issue with the message board program.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough. Explaining why would help though

9. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm having a problem. It's been a day and whenever a new notification pops up this notification is along with it.
    Pudding Monster have been updated
    So its been I think 10-15 times so far!
    Is it related to the tweaking the forum!

10. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Looks great

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #91 bigrand1, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    I'm so bummed with what's happened to this, my very favorite game site. They should just realize there was nothing wrong with it in the first place and the way it was was the reason we love it so much. The simplicity with which everything was presented was so great because it was so convenient to scan the home page ALL AT ONCE there on the right side and whatever you want to see was a click away going from there. The new releases were plentiful and there was so much content you could access RIGHT AWAY to get to the meat of your interests fast. It sucks now because you're bombarded with a bunch of crap and ads and a bunch of pages that you have to deal with scrolling and scrolling, and is so time-consuming, and also confusing. The huge fonts and individual pics are nice, but they should be on a secondary page , not the first page, for you to click on if you're interested in whatever. My thumbs are tired and my eyes are burning. Keep it simple like it was so we can just get it now! I can't even find what I want to see now that everything's so discombobulated. I'm afraid that a lot of us will begin searching for other sites to scratch the itch now, but that's the way it goes. When you want something, you stick with that because that satisfies you, is what you desire. When it gets taken away from you, you look to fill that void. I'm sure some of these other guys on other sites are high-fiveing each other laughing, saying TA blew it, and now they can reap the rewards by giving serious game enthusiasts the content they want the way they want it, and I hate to say that. Maybe, after they polish the new format it'll be better, but for now, I gotta say, I'm in mourning, feel like I've lost a great friend, like my dog died even! I just don't believe it! One step forward, and two steps back sums it up for me! :(

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Jesus son, calm down.

13. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Also wanted to chime in with a 'totally agree'. Video -> actual title -> article text makes the flow jumbled, and the lack of a visible dividing line doesn't help.

I have no issue with the amount of ads, but I do agree with the issue of accidental background clicks, particularly in the margins after you've scrolled past any recognizable ad image. Sometimes I click around when I'm reading, and sometimes I click the margin to bring focus back to a window in my OS, and in either case I now completely lose my place.

Other than those two things, though, I think I like it.

14. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Dont really visit the front page (just rss and the occassional forums visit now) so dont care much but certainly not a fan of the new layout. My main problem with the layout is that the articles arent separated clearly. Feels sort of like its all one big article with lots of images and videos. Also not a fan of media (screen shot/video) before the article headline. Category logos looks neat though bit too small imo. Just my 2 cents. Once again, dont really care personally as I haven't visited the front page in forever and dont plant to anytime soon.

One thing (actually the only thing personally) I'd like to get implemented/fixed is review scores (star ratings) in rss feed. Worked fine in google reader but in feedly, you couldn't see the ratings anymore. New layout seems to have done away with star ratings totally in the rss feed. I wont mind truncated reviews in rss even as long as star ratings are displayed. Please add these if possible.

Front page currently has 8 videos but no problems with my 3rd gen ipad. Loads fine and scrolls as smooth as possible.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 with a 60 Mbit connection and it pauses while it access the YouTube servers. It's only a couple of seconds at its worst, but still annoying when I'm mid-scroll and the screen halts.

16. bhavukjain1

bhavukjain1 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    The signature thing doesn't appear if you're posting something from the Toucharcade's iOS app.

17. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Never has.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've got something of a sore point to raise...

The Watchlist page doesn't display correctly for people "opting out" of viewing ads. I know you guys would rather they just disabled blockers, but realistically a lot of people aren't going to and it might not be worth giving a chunk of your visitors a buggy experience.

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

For what it's worth, I've been enabling ads on the front page for a while now ;)

19. bhavukjain1

Jun 14, 2013
    That's where Toucharcade has to work upon.

20. bhavukjain1

Jun 14, 2013
    I don't get a feel of buggy experience at all. And if you use an adblocker then you should expect this not only on this site but on most of the sites.