Apple TV Tap Tap Party - the first Mario Party style game for the new Apple TV [+Promocodes]

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by jorgemoag, Nov 12, 2015.

1. jorgemoag

jorgemoag Well-Known Member

Let's start the party! Invite all your friends to play the new and exclusive party game for the new Apple TV!

You will need to jump to avoid ninja-bull chasing them, confront zombie bears, run on a circuit, dodge a rocks rain on a castle or play hockey in the artic against snowmen.

Some of the main features:

- Up to 4 players
    - Players can use the Siri Remote, and an iPhone or iPad as controller
    - The Apple Watch can also be used as a controller
    - Choose among more than 10 different characters, like chicken-egg or little cocodrile
    - Local multiplayers or single player mode
    - Support for MFi gamepads
    - New minigames will be added with regular updates.

You can find more videos and screenshots on the web: http://www.appletvpartygames.com

To celebrate the release of Tap Tap Party, here are four promocodes you can use on App Store:

HENMK6MRAN33
    L69M7KWFJPX6
    4RPA6L6A4YXH
    EFL747FAPJR3

Download now and start having fun with your friends and family!

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    All codes redeemed.

3. jorgemoag

All codes redeemed and zero feedback? :confused: well, here are more promocodes, please report back which one you picked with a comment.
    http://www.partytapgames.com/jma_kjnsdfa.jpg

If you play the game or have any question, please write a comment! I'll be glad to answer!

4. Showmelater

Showmelater Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Hi

Used the one started with AFN...
    Be right back with comments #

5. Showmelater

Oct 6, 2012
    You could use some description on the event so u know what to to. Like in the Animalextric should u just use the Siri control to make him run or is there more to it. But overall i fun game, need to try it with the kids for multiplayer

6. Showmelater

Oct 6, 2012
    In multi. Can u choose if u want to play together or in different teams? Seems like it was random?
    One thing i notice is when u played in different teams in Artic hockey and the 2 ai users that was in front they seem to get stock and play back and forth and didnt move at all.

7. jorgemoag

Thank you @Showmelater for the feedback,
    I'll study incorporate your comments in the next version. I hope you and your kids enjoy playing the game :)

8. ILikeTacos

ILikeTacos New Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I need an apple tv lol

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Hey Jorge, I'd suggest asking who wants a promo code and who will commit to feedback, then send only those people who reply promo codes through private message. I think you will get more feedback that way!

But this looks like a fun game and worth the money. I will go buy it tonight and reply with my feedback :)

10. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    @jorgemoag Purchased the app earlier but not fully sure how friends can play multiplayer via their iOS devices. It says for them to download the app too, but there's no free version. ...Surely you don't intend for them to pay to download their own copy of the app just to join in? :confused: Beat Sports simply uses a free remote app for multiplayer.

11. jorgemoag

Thank you! The iOS app is free if you buy the TV version. Thank you! The iOS app is free if you buy the TV version. Are you sure you're logged in with the same account on both devices?

12. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I didn't want to enter my account details on my friend's device. I don't think other people will either. I really think you should develop a free remote app for multiplayer, similar to Beat Sports.

13. jorgemoag

Oops, sorry I misread that. I didn't read the word: "friend". Thank you very much for the idea. I definitely will move in that direction.

14. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #14 EssentialParadox, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Generally a really nicely made game with high production values. The art especially is near flawless and I think is very suitable for this type of game. There aren't many Mario Party style games on iOS so I think this is a great idea for the Apple TV. I have some feedback for the game, I hope it helps with future development.

GENERAL NOTES
    - It really surprised me that there wasn't instructions before each game. We had to figure it out ourselves. You don't have to explain every thing about a game, but there should be a little intro screen showing the controls.
    - Speaking of controls, I found them quite poor on both tablet and Siri remote. I encountered lots of issues with the virtual stick. You should not use a virtual stick but simply use swiping for movement. The movement should also be tweaked, it felt slow on the Apple TV and was very bad on the hockey game. Also the A button was too large and distorted on my iPad when playing on the TV. (Controls are smoother playing the iPad game, but strangely feel slower on the Apple TV.)
    - Menu screen should not use arrow controls to move between elements but should be a swipable menu. I would try swiping then a game would accidentally begin.
    - I kept accidentally disconnecting my iPad from the TV because of the 'X' button I thought would just take the game back to the menu. Once disconnected I didn't know how to connect back to the TV. Hopefully this will be resolved once you create the separate TV Remote controller app.
    - I think there could be some non-animal characters, like cartoon humans or cute fantasy creatures, or robots. Also, there's a lot of characters, possibly too many of a selection to start. You could start a game with just a few characters and make all the others locked, becoming unlocked after playing certain levels or difficulties or doing particular challenges.
    - I think it would benefit a lot from 'tournament' style modes that would include playing several mini games then totalling the scores, like 'Boards' in other party games. Board Game Island from Wii Party would be a good choice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5lH6Isw4s - You need at least one board, in future you could add several different ones to give more replay value.
    - It needs more mini games. I generally consider Wii Party and Wii Party U as being two of the best party style games. Wii Party has 80+ games. I know you won't be able to make as many, but perhaps 20-30 would be a good number to eventually build up to. Perhaps you could investigate the Wii Party games to see which modes you could get some easy ideas from. Easy examples are timing games, memory games, or counting games. These are easy mechanics but can easily be re-styled into other mini-games to feel like a different game.
    - Another idea is to use the remote and tablets more creatively, like in Wii U Party they use the touchscreen and accelerometers and microphones for certain games.
    - Best games for research: Wii Party, Wii Party U, Nintendoland (some incredible games including Mario Chase or Animal Crossing but these may be too complex to add to a small game), and Game & Wario (this has four excellent multiplayer games).

RUN CHICKEN RUN
    - Generally a fun game but I think it increases the difficulty too quickly, so the game is over very fast.
    - Confusing when playing as the cow character. I think you should not use enemy characters as playable characters, to avoid confusion.
    - I think this game should end when there is one player left. I understand they might want to get a high score, but the goal should simply be to be last man standing, otherwise all other players are waiting for the winning player to finish. This applies to all games.

SMACK MY ZOMBIE
    - Art is very good here, especially the ghost cauldron effect.
    - Very simple game. I think it could be improved with more depth. You could have items you're trying to collect, or items you should NOT swipe or you'll die (e.g. A bomb or different type of zombie.)
    - Similar to the last game, the difficulty is very hard early on. The zombie sometimes would begin very close to the player. It should start far away then steadily get difficult.
    - You could take these assets and make many more creepy styled mini games. E.g., Wii Party has a great zombie game where players are trying to run away from zombies, this would be very fun.

ANIMALEXTRIC
    - This is one of the better multiplayer games, and we laughed a lot playing it. However it was confusing to get the hang of without instructions.
    - Art of this level is also very good.
    - Seems odd that it's on a timer. It should be based on first player to finish a number of laps.
    - Only suggestion is perhaps you could have a set of randomly selected different tracks though.

CASTLE ROCK
    - Another good game. Could perhaps add collectable balls for bonus points. Or make the purpose of this game to collect as many points as possible while dodging the rocks, with different colored balls being more points.
    - Could be easily made into a second type of game with a larger movement area (and higher camera) where players can push each other into the oncoming rocks!

ARTIC HOCKEY
    - I think it's supposed to be spelled 'Arctic Hockey'? :)
    - Art is good again, but unfortunately this is one of the least enjoyable games. It's a bit boring. Perhaps something could be added to improve gameplay?
    - The controls, like mentioned before are not enjoyable. I think this should be improved a lot.
    - Playing two players is odd. We were put on the same team against AI, but would have been more fun and more sense to have been vs each other.
    - I think the game would be a lot more interesting if it was a 4-way board.

I hope my comments are helpful. I'm a big fan of party games and think this could be very popular on the Apple TV, on a similar level with Beat Sports. You have a head start over other developers, so if you can improve it you could have a very good chance at a great game.

15. Erik Veland

Erik Veland Active Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I'll definitely check this out

Love this idea. The AppleTV is ripe for a Mario Party clone. Great feedback so far in this thread and it does seem like you are on the right path and have some way to go.

The best thing about this platform is updates, so new games and improvements can be added over time instead of having to ship a fully formed game all at once.

16. jorgemoag

I read the feedback carefully and I'll try to add it in next updates. Thank you seems small , but I will say it again, thank you for giving me a great feedback!

17. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    You're welcome! I took my time writing it as I think it could be a great game. I'll look forward to future updates and games! :)

18. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm looking forward to seeing updates to this! I think I might pick up a copy :)

19. Erik Veland

Erik Veland Active Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Have had a go with this now, and it seems to be a good sketch of a mario party style game. As above we greatly enjoyed both animaletrix and castle rock.

1) Are you going to do a meta-game, like the board game trappings of Mario party? Just playing each mini-game in order isn't very engaging
    2) Games should definitely finish always with last player standing. I see where you are going with high scores on each level, but it isn't appropriate for a party game. No one likes to watch the last player keep on going, nor does the last player enjoy keeping on playing in our experience.
    3) The AI, sucks. You are at a tremendous disadvantage if you are stuck with an AI on your team in AR(C)TIC HOCKEY.
    4) Controls that are not MFI controllers (iPhones, iPads, Siri remote) needs a lot of work
    5) It needs more meat all over. Fill in more mini games, add randomisation.

All in all, would really like to see this fleshed out to be a "proper" game. The art style is great, and the mini games so far are pretty fun.