Tap Forms help needed

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by organerito, Feb 17, 2009.

1. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #1 organerito, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    Hi,

I just got Tap Forms. I have tried most of the features and I just don't know how to import files to Tap Forms. I exported a file and wrote some information. I I tried to import the updated file with Filezilla and it said that it can't because it is not an xml file. I converted the exported excel file to xml and didn't work either. Does anyone know how to succesfully import files to Tap Forms?

Thank you very much!

UPDATE

I got it. It ca import csv files. I wasn't right. The dev contacted me 30 after i wrote him an email and I got it working.

Thanks

2. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I thought it accept .csv file?

3. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    I also thought it accepted .csv files I tried and it didn't work the way I did it. The dev has been very fast to answer. I'll post his directions if you are interested. I suggested him to do it like IDB pro. It is a lot simpler and you use a web browser. I have to use asyncdocs for backup and filezilla for importing which I cannot figure out yet.

4. brendand

brendand Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Hi,

I'm not familiar with the way iDB Pro works. I have their lite version and I don't see anything in there for importing. But I will look into it. Essentially you just have to FTP a file from your desktop using whatever FTP program you have. I suggested FileZilla because that's the only FTP client I'm familiar with on Windows. If there's a better one for Windows, please chime in.

Once you've FTP'd your file to Tap Forms (e.g. My Movies.csv), then you simply create a new form, give it a name, then tap the Action menu where you will have the "Import Records" option. Tap "Import Records" and then select the file you wish to import. Tap Forms will count the number of rows in the file and present you with a big green "Import" button. Tapping the "Import" button will begin the import process.

Tap Forms will also auto-create the fields for you based upon the column names in the header row. Every file you import should have a header row with the name of the fields defined.

If you craft your header row using the following format then Tap Forms will also assign the field types for you before it starts the import. This way you can make sure things like dates are imported with the correct format:

Movie Name<text>,Release Date<date>,Is Great Movie<check_mark>
    The Dark Knight,07/18/2008,Y
    The English Patient,11/22/1996,N

Valid Field Types:
    • text
    • number
    • date
    • time
    • check_mark
    • contact
    • web_site
    • note
    • photo
    • audio
    • phone

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

5. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Hey Brendan, when can we expect the next update for Tap Forms?

6. brendand

brendand Member

Feb 8, 2009
    That's a good question! I'm really hard at work working on the next set of feature updates. Here's what I'm currently working on:

• Performance optimizations for the list view with large numbers of records
    • Sorting of up to 3 fields per form
    • Grouping list by one field per form
    • Emailing photos and audio files as attachments
    • Search bar on the list view to facilitate searching within a form
    • German localization

And I'm sure there's some other things going in there that I've forgotten. It'll be version 1.7 when it's finally ready. Unfortunately it's not quite ready for prime time as I'm still figuring out some stuff, like how to get more than one value to display on the list view. Not that it's hard to do, just that I'm working on the best way to let the user configure that.

Thanks!

7. brendand

brendand Member

Feb 8, 2009
    So today Tap Forms got featured on the App Store! Woohoo!

I wrote a blog post about my experience so far if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.tapforms.com/blog

Thanks!

8. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    It deserve the place. BTW the update is still not finished?

9. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    It is a great app! Brendand, do you have plans for other apps?

10. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I saw appsniper picked up the sale price: it's now $5.99.
    Thanks Brandan, just the nudge I needed to buy it! Really looking forward to using it alot :)

11. brendand

brendand Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

I am currently working on version 1.7, but it is not ready for release yet. You'll know when it's ready of course as it will show up in your updates. Some really good stuff coming in 1.7!

Thanks,

12. brendand

brendand Member

Feb 8, 2009
    You never know! :)

13. organerito

Nov 24, 2008
    Is it possible to make a expenses form? A form where you write how much money in, how much money out. then it calculates the total. I guess that's a very different app, but just in case.

14. brendand

brendand Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I have an outstanding request for calculation field types. But I haven't had a chance to even think about how to implement that yet. Very busy on lots of other areas of the app. I'm sure I'll eventually get there though.

Thanks!