iPad TanZen - $0.99 One day sale!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Little White Bear Studios, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Hey everyone, I'm the developer at Little White Bear Studios, and I thought I'd let everyone know that TanZen is having a one day sale today, where the game is available for $0.99 instead of the regular $2.99. TanZen currently has over 200 puzzles, and growing. We also have TanZen Lite, which gives you a taste of the game, with 18 puzzles. So if you've ever thought about trying TanZen, now is a great time! Have fun!

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286331900&mt=8

2. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks, um... Little White Bear :)

I've really enjoyed the lite version, and you've been good with listening to what people have suggested (e.g., one-finger rotation). Definitely gonna pick this up for a buck!

3. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks, tosui! Hope you enjoy the full version!

4. crapz1967

crapz1967 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey LWB,
    thx for your TanZen sale, at this price i defenitely decided to buy it!
    Maybe you could divide the puzzles into different categories (maybe lettets, animals etc.) or difficulties, cuz it takes so long to scroll thru all of those pages...
    Still a great game, waiting for more ;) !

5. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback! We're working on a few scrolling related things, which will end up in future updates. Thanks for giving us a try, and have fun with the game!

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I got the Lite version and it's a well done game. The problem for me is that I've played these types of puzzles before and I think I've decided I'm just not that interested in playing them more. However, I think you've done a great job with it. The controls work well.

7. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    No problem, crunc! I fully understand. Thank you for trying out the game!

8. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    CRUNC! How can you resist a little white bear ;(

9. AznChaos

AznChaos Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Awesome game. I'm just cruising through the game.

Sometimes I find some of the puzzles too easy and others it takes me forever to figure out.

Anyways I also recommend to pick it up while its $0.99. Good value for the buck for sure.

10. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    That's the idea, AznChaos. You never know how hard the next challenge will be. Much like life. :)

11. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Hey everyone, thanks for checking out TanZen! The response to the sale has been fantastic, so we're extending the sale for another couple days. Have fun with the game!

12. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I bought it today, and it's a fun little puzzler. I mostly bought it because I remember making a tangram puzzle in wood when I was at school (the one that's the icon for the game), brings back some good memories. :)

For me, I'd like to see some more visual effects on completion. Probably as OTT as you can get without lagging the graphics too much, hehe. The other thing that's missing, I feel, is some nice ambient background music and sound effects.

Also, there does seem to be some issues with the scrolling through of puzzles. Is there any chance you could do a list view in portrait mode? Also, CoverFlow works well for music, why not something like that for landscape mode?

Anyway thumbs up and definitely worth 59p. Thanks very much.

13. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Excellent, glad you like it!

Both of your suggestions are currently on our list of possible future features. Although there are some sound effects already. There is a quiet "swish" sound, as each piece moves during the completion animation.

There are actually some very complex things going on in the thumbnail view, which is why it taxes the hardware a bit. That is currently being looked at. Coverflow has the benefit of pre-rendered bitmaps to work with, while TanZen is a vector based app. This requires more processing time, yet keeps the game very tiny, instead of multiple MBs. Using vector graphics also allows an unlimited number of puzzles to be included in the game, with almost no increase in application size. This method also keeps the in-game memory usage extremely small.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

14. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Too much processing for such a simple game, it will hurt the performance of the game more just for mere eye candy.

15. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Whilst Cover-Flow could be accurately described as eye-candy, where I've seen it used in other games, it DOES server a very valid purpose: with a Cover-Flow like setup, you can scroll through several screens with just one finger-swipe. Unlike, say for example, the method Apple uses to flick between Home-screens, where one finger-swipe only flicks through one screen.
    So on a game where you have dozens and dozens of screens to swipe through, being able to swipe through several at once is a great and worthy option, that goes beyond mere eye-candy...

But the developer of this particular game already knows my thoughts on this. ;)

16. different

Aug 8, 2008
    I figured that's why the scrolling view is a little slow. Mind you, it could be done with pre-rendered graphics without much extra footprint, if the images were only 1-2k (possible with todays codecs). I guess also that if TanZen were to have over a thousand puzzles, they could be like Labyrinth's level packs? So that users could download new ones and remove old ones.

This would have the added benefit of keeping the game leaner, if users could download puzzles at a whim and delete them when finished.

Personally I don't like the idea of scrolling through 1000 completed puzzles to find the 10 I hadn't. :)

17. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Wait, you had an opinion on this? :p

18. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    The phone uses pngs, which are crunched prior to submission, but certainly not down to 1-2k, yet still retain the quality level. I'm assuming you're talking about per thumbnail, as a single, compressed, quality level png that fills the phone screen is about 200-300k for a complex image. Now, even if everything were raster based, there is still a rendering cost, as well as memory issues as you're scrolling through collections of bitmaps after bitmaps, caching things as you go. Whatever path is chosen, there is a hidden cost. Let's not even get into the time involved in creating/maintaining 1,000 images vs. the current method of none.

Certainly one solution, but it seems like a brute force solution to a problem that could be solved via an alternate interface. Unless they're just trying to solve an ever increasing memory footprint problem.

Nor would I ship that scenario. :) Trust me, there will be a solution to this scenario, and it will be simple, yet elegant. A solution is already in the works.

19. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Thanks for extending the sale. Just grabbed it, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
    Looks nice, works well, and gets the brain going. What more could you ask for? :)

20. different

Aug 8, 2008
    Good to know you're working on it. :)