iPad TanZen: $0.99 Forever!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Little White Bear Studios, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    #1 Little White Bear Studios, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
    Hey everyone, our $0.99 sale awhile ago was a great success, so we've decided to drop the price of TanZen permanently to $0.99! If you've never tried the game out before, please give our Lite version a try, which has 18 puzzles to solve. You can get over 288 puzzles in the full version!

Note: The price was changed at 1pm Pacific today. If the price hasn't changed for you yet, please try again later, as Apple's servers haven't updated your region yet.

2. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Will there be a TanZen 2?

I've purchased many games but I keep coming back to TanZen - it's great fun. I've almost completed all of the puzzles so was wondering if there will be a TanZen 2 in the future? - I sure hope so.

3. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I bought TanZen a while ago and like it in a way but whats missing is a snap to grid feature :(.

4. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Not to worry, an update with more puzzles is going to Apple for review in the next day or so. It is currently going through testing, as the scrolling puzzle viewer has been improved, and there is another new feature. Thanks for playing! It means a lot to us!

5. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion, Oliver! I will add that to our list of possible future features. :)

6. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Little White Bear,
    I'm giving it a try.

TTT.
    for a developer.
    :)

7. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks, networkman!

8. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I've been on the fence about getting this app for a while now, but I think it's definately worth it with the price drop. I'm just going to hold out for the update.

9. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks, sirisaacx. We've got about 3-4 more hours of testing left on the update, so it should be submitted to Apple late this evening. So, given the previous review times for TanZen, you should see it seven days from now. If you do decide to buy now, your progress in the game is carried forward in the update.

10. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
  11. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
  12. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah, they tend to do that for free apps. I guess that they deem it a better value. I purchased your app long ago, but I thought that the review was great. And sometimes iLounge tears apps apart. I laugh at some of their reviews because they really point out the flaws in some of the apps from big-name companies.

13. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Then I feel lucky! I did add a note in the comments, that the game does have sound. It's just very subtle, and can only be heard when you complete a puzzle, or the entire game.

And thanks for getting TanZen! Hopefully Apple will finish reviewing my update in a few days, and you'll have some more puzzles to play with!

14. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I ended up buying it, and I'm very happy. A good deal for a dollar. Are there any other features in the new update or is it purely levels?

15. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks, sirisaacx! Glad you like it!

The update includes:
    - new puzzles
    - redesigned puzzle picker, which allows you to navigate all the pages of puzzles more easily, and shows you what pages haven't been completed yet
    - another small, yet useful feature

16. Yes please implement snap to grid (tangrams latest update got that) and perhaps an option to turn off rotating circle if one wishes to just tap to rotate piece like I do.

17. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Actually, a very early beta version of the game worked this way. All the testers found it to be very annoying, as you could only rotate in one direction, and if you tapped one too many times, you'd have to go all the way around again. Also, tapping too fast would cause a flip to happen, as there is a fine line between two quick single taps, and one double tap. However, the selection ring is a very big hit with the majority of players, as is the freeform nature of the pieces. But I do understand why you'd like it to be the other way, and I certainly am not ruling that possibility out in the future.

18. Ok sounds fair enough. How about an option with that rotating circle when you turn it it'll rotate 45 degrees. From a programming point of view this might be hard to implement as you'd have to specify how much rotating would be required to rotate it 45 degrees. Or it might be simple...honestly have no idea. In other words, just want a quick way to position it without having to micro-rotate it just right. Having said that, the snap-to-edge would be my main request though as that'd really speed up puzzle solving. Also advertise you have 288 puzzles not 200 anymore on app store. Don't short sell your app...hehe.

19. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    This is actually something I've looked into a bit before. There are a couple issues here. One, jumping to 45 degrees changes the smooth feel of the game, which is one of our main selling points. Right now, it simulates a freeform movement by jumping at 15 degree angles. This gives the feeling of free rotation, yet it will still lock when it needs to. If you switch it to 45 degrees, the jump is very jarring. Also, there is a user expectation problem, because how far do you have to move your finger for the jump to happen? If you wait until 45 degrees, people will complain that the interface is sluggish. If you do it at say 15 degrees, the rotation is too fast, and it'll be hard to know when to stop moving. As I said, I have looked at this before, but I've yet to find a happy medium that fits the theme of the game and user expectations.

Yes, this is a stickler for a very small percentage of players. As TanZen is meant to be a very casual game, speed really wasn't a factor in the original design decisions. As with all feature requests, I do add it to a list, and when it's time to work on an update, I weigh the feature against several things: technical feasibility, fits with the game theme, cost of development vs. sales vs. playing with my 3 kids. But I do take all suggestions seriously, and I never say never, as you never know what the future holds.

Right you are! Forgot about changing the post. Thanks!

20. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    This is one of those games that you keep coming back to. I would only change one thing: for it to let you see your finished puzzles if you go back to them instead of asking you weather you wanna solve it again.