TaniNani - A Cute Puzzle Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AnderssonKev, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    #1 AnderssonKev, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    TaniNani (January 23 Release)

[​IMG]

TaniNani is a puzzle game where you move parts of the level around to make the characters meet.
    In order to unlock new worlds you need to collect the crystals and if you want a bigger difficulty you can attempt to complete the challenges on each level.

-Key Features-
    • 120 Hand designed levels.
    • 120 Optional challenges for extra difficulty.
    • Unlockable outfits.
    • A catchy cute little soundtrack.
    -Links-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guillaume Sempe likes this.
  2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I love what I see! It’s like a cross between Splitters Critters and Framed wrapped in a pixel art visuals. Looks fantastic. And I’m already hooked to the game mechanics just by looking at the animations.

I didn’t find release date on your site. It says, to be announced. Would you be so kind and give us a hint or an outline if it’s at least coming to the end of this year? Also, I REALLY hope it’s gonna be a fully premium app with no free to play shenanigans!

Anyway, I’m so looking forward to this game. Can’t wait to put my brain into works to get those puzzles solved. Thanks for sharing with us and welcome to the TouchArcade forums.;)

AnderssonKev likes this.
  3. Witlogic

Witlogic Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I like this too!

AnderssonKev likes this.
  4. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    Thank you @macplash

I loved Splitter Critters, still amazed about that mechanic! First of all, thank you for stopping by the stream! About the release date, I'm aiming toward the end of January and beginning of February, but this can change due to various unknown reasons :)

Thank you for the welcome as well!

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @AnderssonKev yeah, no problem. I was just checking information on your site, so from there it took me to Twitter and imagine my surprise, there’s your announcement you’re streaming on Twitch like right now. Coincidence? I don’t think so. Fate? More likely!:) And during watching your stream I learnt you also got a Discord channel, so I joined that as well, obviously.

Anyway, thanks for sharing all the information about the game during the stream as well as showcasing your multiple skills in Unity, pixel art and whatnot. Very impressive! Also thanks for the release date estimate. I’ll be following the development very closely. Hope you’ll keep sharing all the good stuff with us. Keep up a good work and good luck!

6. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    I made my own little editor for this game with the idea that it would go a lot quicker to iterate on levels and keep it interesting when I did level design during livestreams. So I've been thinking if I should make a youtube video where I went through and explained how I created this. Not necessarily the best solution but it might be a start for someone who's wondering how it's working.

I can quickly jump between all 120 levels across 10 different worlds within seconds which is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

7. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    The game is getting close to being finished and I'm currently iterating the minor things before I'm going to add external beta testers on iOS. So stay tuned for that if you're interested!

Some things I've added based on previous tests is a grid that can be toggled and the current level number in the lower right corner.

[​IMG]

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @AnderssonKev how did you solve “zoom issue” on iOS devices in comparison to Steam version? Do you have any screenshots how the game looks like on iPhone/iPad? Which also reminds me: is there going to be just one Universal version? I’d love to see you taking advantage of iPad’s big screen and 3:2 ratio.;)

9. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    Here's a comparison between the Steam and iPhone version at this current state.

Steam screenshot
    [​IMG]

iPhone screenshot
    Forgot that I had the grid toggle on. And I double checked about the grass pixels that float, it's one or two frames in the animation where they do that and I managed to grab a screenshot exactly on those frames... :)
    [​IMG]

I'm going to try and make the iPad "zoom" more like Steam, we'll see how that works. I've just got familiar with the developer portal for Apple with Testflight etc.

macplash likes this.
  10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @AnderssonKev sounds, but most importantly looks amazing! As I’m barely using my phone for gaming, I’m so looking forward to how the game will feel on iPad. But I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be great. Please, keep sharing the progress with us! TaniNani looks so yummy.:rolleyes::oops::D

11. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    During this weekend I've worked on the iPad version of the game. So very soon I'm at a point where I need to test the game on different iPad devices. Myself I've got an iPad 2 which is very old (it's still running though) and I've got a friend who own an iPad Air.

So if you've got an iPad and want to help, reach out to me on Twitter or message me here.

New touch input controller
    I updated the input a few weeks ago and it feels a lot better than the previous way of playing on touch devices.

[​IMG]

macplash likes this.
  12. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    I've just announced the release date for TaniNani! January 23 so mark your calendars! ;)

Here's the trailer:

macplash likes this.
  13. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    Thank you everyone who helped out with the iPad resolution test, this community is really great and helpful! Now I only need to make sure that the iPhone X looks good as well.

I did a full playthrough today and it took me 5h 30m to grab all crystals (you need crystals to unlock new worlds). Now I only need to complete all challenges as well!

[​IMG]

14. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    #14 AnderssonKev, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    As I look at the finished game I remembered that I had saved gifs from the entire process. Not the best quality of the gif in general but it's fun to see where it all started. What's left is generally some translation fixes on a few languages.

[​IMG]

15. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    The game was approved on App Store so everything is now ready for release. I'm so excited for this!

Thank you everyone who's helped out from the forum here. Powerful for an indie dev to have the opportunity like this with kind people to test stuff.

[​IMG]

16. The game is so brain twisted lol

17. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    Haha thank you! I had a colleague who had some trouble to figure out how to think when solving the levels, but once he got the game on his phone and could play at home in his own pace he started to understand how everything worked. He's now the tester who finished the whole game first and really enjoyed it.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Btw, the game plays great on iPad using Apple Pencil. Just saying... :)

19. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    Wow I never thought of that! Makes me happy to hear that it works! :)

macplash likes this.
  20. AnderssonKev

AnderssonKev Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Male
    Game Developer
    For those who want to know, the game is available for pre-purchase on the App Store.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/taninani/id1489082298?ls=1

At the moment I'm just waiting for the game to release. So far it's been the most relaxed (still nervous for the reception from players) release of my career, not sure if this is the best forum to discuss these type of things but I've learned some new ways of preparing that would be good to share somewhere.

Also a thing that I'm very proud over is the amount of supported languages at launch!
    • English
    • French
    • Italian
    • German
    • Spanish
    • Brazilian-Portuguese
    • Swedish
    • Danish
    • Japanese
    • Simplified Chinese

macplash likes this.