iPad Tangram Puzzle Pro: Holiday Edition Free!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Lab, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I just downloaded this bad boy. Little Kuriboh errrrr Little White Bear's game looks better though, but at least this one's free...

2. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
  3. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Ha, i was just going to post that. Downloading now...

4. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    oh snap! im more of a tanzen guy though.

hello mr LBWS!

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Agreed. Tanzen is much better in my opinion. I prefer Tanzen's interface

6. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Tanzen is definitely better...

7. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    i just tried the games out so here it goes... LBWS please dont shoot me

tanzen pretty much nailed down the controls and the tiles laid down in front of you

tangrams pros:
    background music
    magnetic tile recognition/snap tile to silhouette
    effects upon puzzle completion

tangram cons:
    the stupid tiles are hidden at the bottom
    i have to drag all the tiles out of the bottom screen

if i want flashy ill go with tangram, if i want simplicity and efficiency, definitely tanzen

conclusion: tanzen still has the upperhand because of CONTROLS alone.

8. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the praise and support guys! As has been pointed out to me by a few other players when this game came out a month or so ago, it seems to have taken more than a few design cues from TanZen. I suppose that's flattering, in some fashion. :) However, both games do things differently, and are going to appeal to different sorts of players, just like the other tangram apps do. TanZen was designed to be a very natural, freeform game, and very intentionally veers away from trying to feel like a computer game. If you fell in love with TanZen's gameplay, then I feel like I've accomplished that goal. And I thank you guys for making it such a success!

On a side note, TanZen will not be going the paid to free to paid route, as I consider it cheating other developers' hard work, by using the free download count to raise your paid rank when you switch back. If you haven't tried TanZen yet, I suggest trying the Lite version, which gives you 18 puzzles to play for free. If you like it, the full version has 360 (more soon!) puzzles, for only $0.99.

Again, you guys are great, and thanks for your support! I was working on an update to TanZen for a few hours tonight, which includes more puzzles, and a small feature tweak, so it should be up around Sunday/Monday, given the holiday schedule. Happy puzzle solving!

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Little White Bear Studios is a great dev. They made a great game, with good controls. Personally I would've done a rotation with two fingers rather than the circle on the outside, but overall a good game. It is a lot better than tangrams. I await the next LWBS title. If any.

10. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    That's how it originally was... but everyone wanted 1 finger rotation... It was really difficult with 2 finger rotation and I personally like 1 finger much better... Maybe there should be an option for 1 or two finger rotation...

11. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    #12 Little White Bear Studios, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
    Thank you, that means a lot!

Funny you should mention that. The original version of the game used two finger rotation, with a smaller ring, which you could use to move the piece with one finger, without having to have your finger directly over the piece, so you could see where you're placing it. Add a second finger to the ring, and you could rotate. Players didn't like it, and wanted single finger rotation, so I switched it to have a bigger ring, to still allow moving while not directly over the piece, yet still rotate with one finger on the edge of the ring.

Thanks! One of my kids will be going to college in four years, so TanZen will hopefully pay for some of it! :) And the next LWBS title is in development right now! If you're a fan of TanZen, I think you will like it!

12. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Yeah, it was designed to be used with two thumbs, as if you were twisting a real tangram piece. The design passed testing with many age groups, even my five year old, so it was a bit of a surprise that it wasn't liked. But I think many people were trying to use two fingers from one hand, which would be difficult to control. Perhaps my explanation in the tutorial wasn't clear enough at the time.

Switching between the two would be a challenge, as the two methods are very different under the hood. There'd have to be a fair amount of demand for the old system to be brought back as an option.

13. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    i just got tangram cause it was free and while i like the game alot the controls suck. i hate how u cant use 2 fingers to rotate an object. i have to select the object and then use 1 finger. it should be set up like enigmo has it where u rotate with 2 fingers. other than that i really like the game a lot and its fun and challenging. i bet tanzen is the better game but i dont have money and this will have to do for now

14. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    tanzen has a similar smoother one touch control.

15. brewstermax

I advise to give an option in the settings. I'm not sure which i'd really like better. I guess it would depend where i'm at. If i'm at home or somewhere the two finger would be easier, but it would be difficult to use two fingers say in public or a place where you need to have a free hand.

Just design an option. Yea, it must've been a misunderstanding, since i'd see that as being the best way to do it.

16. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Tell you what, I'm going to add your request to my list of future feature possibilities. Right now, as we're working on a new game, and LWBS is just my wife and I, with me being the only programmer, this feature probably won't have a chance of popping up for awhile. But we will seriously consider it when our time frees up.

17. brewstermax

Well, thats nice. Most devs just blow people off, and let their app miss features, have bugs, and just don't support their software. Its shocking, but most of the devs who actually make changes and help their product, frequent these boards. Odd..

18. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Yeah, I think the group of devs around here are great, and care about the customer, which goes a long way. I personally answer all email/messages we get, usually within an hour of people sending them, if I'm awake. I figure customer service is about equal to the game experience itself. Plus hanging around here is lots of fun! :)

19. brewstermax

yea. well i agree that customer service is really important for the game to develop into something that is really worth the money. Any hints on the content of the next game?