iPad Tangled 1.3 ($0.99c)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rudy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    #1 Rudy, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    [app]Tangled[/app] 1.1 is a simple yet mind bending puzzle game. The goal of the game is to "untangle" the lines and make sure they don't overlap. Touch the dots and drag the lines to untangle them. You can now play the famous Planarity / Untangle game on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

The 20 carefully designed puzzles provide a smooth learning curve. Once you've finished all 20, you can have unlimited fun with the randomly generated puzzles.

Features:

- Set of 20 puzzles carefully designed in increasing difficulty

- Unlimited randomly generated puzzles with 10 difficulty levels

New Features in 1.1:

* Improved graphics
    * Reset Button
    * Home Button
    * Increased the difficulty in the Random mode
    * Improved performance and stability

[​IMG]
    I just wanted to let touchArcade know about a game I made for the iPhone / iPod. I would also love to get some feedback to see what I could improve (positive or negative).

There's also a new Lite version to try out before buying:
    [​IMG]

Thank you

Billy Lavoie

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Hi Billy, and welcome to the forums. :)

I recently e-mailed the dev of The Plateau if he could e-mail me some screenshots of the harder/hardest levels, since I've known this game from the Pocket PC and was quite good at it. So if I'm getting this game for the iPod Touch, I want to be challenged. :)

The dev didn't reply yet (I e-mailed him/her Saturday and I don't expect devs to reply in the weekend, so I'll give him/her some time), but I'd like to ask you the same question. Can you show me a few screenshots of the random puzzles in level 4 and 5?

Thanks for starting the thread this way, with screenshots and a link. If you'd just put the price in the title (not sure if that's possible) or in the post, that would be perfect. :)

3. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    well the forum won't let me change the title so I can't add the price. I'm selling it for $0.99.

As for the level of difficulty, the final puzzle has 35 points and 79 lines it should be pretty challenging. As for the random puzzles, right now the hardest level generates about 50 points and a lot of lines ;)

I am planning to keep working no the game (more puzzles, tweak the random algorithm etc) and I would love to get user feedback (on top of the feedback I got from the pre release testers)

You can have a look at the official blog for some better pictures http://billylavoie.blogspot.com/

I will try to make some new pictures for you tonight (unfortunately I am at work right now :()

4. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. :)

35-50 points sounds good, I think I've played puzzles with a few more points on the PocketPC but there I can use a stylus, for the finger it's probably better to not have too much points on the screen. I look forward to the screenshots of those harder levels. :)

Is there any visual feedback on the status of the points/lines? It looks like lines that are no longer crossed by other lines turn from blue to white, is that correct? That would be nice. :)

Also, there's a feature that was in the PocketPC game I played. If I put my stylus/finger on a point, all the points it was connected to, changed color. That way you can easily see which point you need to drag. (Sometimes when there are a lot of lines crossing and there are a lot of points close to each other, it can be difficult to see which lines connect to which points)
    Is this in the game already and if not, is this something you'd like?

I could probably get used to the game without this feature (The Plateau also doesn't have it) but it's nice to know your thoughts on it. The Plateau says it has 50 stages of difficulty but if their easiest and hardest puzzles are similar to your easiest and hardest, it doesn't matter too much.

5. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    You are right, the blue lines are tangled while the white lines are not.

I love the idea of having the connected points change color, I will make sure this goes in 1.1 :) Should be really simple to implement too! Thanks for the idea

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I just bought the game since you seem to be an active dev and you came to TA. Welcome!

Glad to see you are open to feedback and changes to your game to make it better, I like that.

7. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    I love to get feedback, I'm sure I won't always be able to implement requested changes but I'll try my best. I tried to get as much feedback as I could from the few testers I had before I released the game but I had a feeling I was going to get more when it would be release ;)

I see from your sig that you're quite the Trism player :) If it wasn't for that game I'm sure I would have been able to release Tangled a long time ago heheh

8. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    #8 spmwinkel, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    I'm not sure if I should just get this one or give the The Plateau devs a day or two to reply to my e-mail. The "active dev" argument is something that could absolutely convince me, but if the 50 levels in The Plateau really add something, it'd be unfortunate to 'punish' the The Plateau devs for not responding to my e-mail during the weekend.

9. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Lol yeah I like Trism quite a bit ;) Glad you like it too :)

Is there a way to get back to the main menu without closing the app if your in a game?

Get both :cool:

Here is a screenshot for you of level 5 random generated level though:

[​IMG]

Let me know if you want more.

10. Moved to the games forum section as it is a puzzle game. Welcome to the forum Rudy.

11. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for moving my thread....can't believe I didn't see there was a iPhone GAMES sub forum :mad: and it's the one at the top....makes you wonder how I missed that one :p

12. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    #12 spmwinkel, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks for posting :)

I just opened the PocketPC app (after not playing the game for several months) and I've attached a screenshot of the levels I'm playing there.

Seems like the hardest level in Tangled is still quite easy compared to this one:

(Billy you can now also see why it's useful to see highlights (in red here) on the bugs that the selected one (the one in the top right) is connected to. Otherwise it'd be hard to figure out which ones are connected!

Attached Files:

13. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    That is just insane. :eek:

I don't think I'd even try an attempt at a level like that.

14. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    If the amount gradually increases it's not impossible. :)
    You might spend 15 minutes or more on a level, but with a Save feature that's no problem.

(Which brings up a question for Billy - does the game save your progress?)

15. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    #15 Rudy, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    wow.....I must say that Tangled COULD generate something like that but I didn't think people would have the patience to go through that (also the screenshot posted of the Level 5 random seems like an easier one, at Level 5 there's quite a bit of randomness how hard it can get). There is a save feature for the main game (the 20 pre made puzzles) but it will take you back to the beginning of the puzzle. Adding a save for the random mode wouldn't be too hard and same thing for the "state"

16. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Ok. :)
    I'd be interested in seeing puzzles of this difficulty in Tangled, but I'm not sure you should put them in just for me.

70% of my $0.99 is not a lot of money to pay for the time it would take you to implement it!

17. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    To be honest with you, I'm sure you're not the only one who would want that. And it shouldn't be too much work, the engine already supports it, I just thought the level were already pretty hard :p Looks like I underestimated the patience of some people ;)

18. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Sounds great! :)

19. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    or the mental health of some :)

20. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I'd love to have this game at that difficulty, but I also couldn't imagine how hard it would be considering the limited screen size.