Universal Tallowmere (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 10, 2015.

1. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    #161 Gluskap, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Didn't get TestFlight email. Maybe it's bugged or you don't have any build for TF yet.

I worked on a couple of projects with Unity so I know how hard it can be. Actually I couldn't even produce a game other than prototypes. So it's nearly impossible for me to do what you did or you are gonna do.

Yes I'm talking about Tallowmere 2 of course.

First of all don't know what kinda algorithm you are using for level generation but you can check Spelunky one if you haven't. Because I think this needs a lot larger level chunks with more variety of traps and maybe some secrets. Also different themes for levels will be cool like 1-15 forest, 16-30 ice, 31-45 desert etc.

Shopkeeper's random item level scaling must be improved too IMO. I don't wanna see 1 star flamethrower when I'm in room >5.

These are just my opinions. As I said I know it's so much harder to do things than talking about them like me.

Proof: https://i.imgur.com/EOqFoSu.jpg

Vbulletin couldn't reduce the size, had to upload imgur and just **** Safari on iPad. It is nightmare to edit something or choose a word.

2. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Only bit of advice for Tallow 2 would be shake things up, add some variety, for those who've delved deep into the dungeon. I practically let myself die at room 40 or 50 or so because I was practically auto-killing everyone with my set-up (although I know a slip or two would still have probably seen me dead). Still great fun, though.

3. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Thanks for your feedback! I agree the later rooms can feel a bit samey. Gotta be determined to chase your high score. I plan to have the sequel have room modifiers, elite modifiers, more bosses, more traps, room themes, just more more more to keep things lively :)

Merchants sometimes feel lackluster, yeah -- they act more like a random treasure chest, maybe they'll have good loot, maybe not. Their chance of stocking nice items increases as your coin balance increases, however. I actually tried increasing the chance of merchants stocking good items more often, but found it made the game feel too easy too often. Balance is tough.

Haven't uploaded anything yet. Got the static movement buttons in. Working on being able to reposition them on the screen next. I'll PM you when it's up.

4. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Apple's just approved v334.9.1, should come live soon. Thanks to Gluskap for helping test the new Static Movement buttons.

My apologies to everyone who picked the game up for the first time at v334.8 - I somehow let a bug slip in where bloodsplats were not being created from dismembered body parts hitting the floor and walls, resulting in a less gory experience than intended. But the gibbing bloodsplats are back in now, so I hope the dungeons feel grittier again as intended :)

5. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    This game was on my wishlist for a while, then the discount came. Downloaded the game.
    And boy oh boy!!!!
    What a nice little gem!!!!
    Congrats to the dev!
    It's not perfect but damn it's fun!!!!!!

Just buy this incridible roguelite!!!!

6. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Awesome game Chris. I was skeptical of the positive reviews (and praise in this thread) but all the love is spot on. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Also, I'd love to buy a console version (or dedicated handheld version) if you ever decide to go that route.

7. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    iOS 10 required??

8. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I don't have iOS 10 and I had this game for a while now

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You don't have the latest version then. The last few updates are iOS 10 only.

10. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Yikesssssss

11. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Hey, thanks for reporting this. Looks like I goofed. I was having issues compiling with the latest Xcode recently and tried setting the deployment target to 10 instead of 8.1 to troubleshoot, but forgot to change it back.

I've built v340.6 now targeting iOS 8.1 and have submitted to Apple for review.

12. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks boss man

13. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you, as soon as the fix goes through I'm gonna buy it.

14. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Can't wait for Tallowmere 2, when it will be out?

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Update reducing minimum iOS to iOS 8.1 is now available.

16. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
  17. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Well that's exciting if he were to add all that I hope there would be a way to pay more money to support =]

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
  19. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    #179 cadillackills, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    This is one of my all time favorites on steam, I'm not good with controllers but this games MFi support is phenomenal on my iOS devices. With the above comment about financially supporting I'm with you, and I've purchased 2 versions, but sometimes feedback from real fans is invaluable to devs. It takes time to set up kickstarters and patreons , and in my opinion some devs use that time to hone their products. I was trying to give some money for another game I am TestFlight ing (Fugl) but was thanked by the Dev just for feedback and being vocal about the enthusiasm for the game. Support our Devs!

20. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    +1 for the greatness of this game and a bump for the thread.

I picked it up to try after buying a controller and the game is f'in brilliant. Pixel perfect movement and a really good 'challenge vs sense of reward' balance going on. Already on my list of favourites and probably 'best on device' atm.
    Something I love is that you're not fighting the controls, the mechanics or anything else other than 'the dungeon' itself. All the mechanics are on your side, fluid and responsive and all add up to give me what I want: a hardcore fight based on my own skill and dexterity against some challenging and competent foes. This has that by the bags.
    I love the art style, the music, the loot system, all of it and about the only thing that'd push it to 11 is multiplayer via my one device which looks like it'll be coming in 2.

If you're here researching the game and have any kind of interest it'll be rewarded 10 fold, link it to a controller if you've got one and settle in for a great ride.

Shooting an rpg at a Hydra? What's not to love?