Universal Tallowmere (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 10, 2015.

1. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
  2. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
  3. Other

Other Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Loving the 60 fps update. Great job on routinely improving an already phenomenal game.

4. DarkScience

DarkScience Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Arrrrrr I just died in room 36 after 2 hours of survival!!!! God this game is harsh and addictive!!! Great job! All about the weapon choice, got to love the flame thrower the best, though they all have their strengths!

5. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Dev still updating this game ?! Amazing

6. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Hello! Yes, just pushed a Tallowmere update today, v334.8.

This update took me longer than planned. Apple required me to remove all blood and dismembered body parts from the screenshots and app preview videos before they'd approve the build, something I didn't want to do. So I ended up creating a blood-free mode. So if you're looking at the screenshots and video and think, "Why is this rated 12+?" It's because I had to make the listing be 4+ age appropriate. There's still lots of blood and body parts in the game by default, but you can disable the gore now if desired.

Lately I've been working on porting Tallowmere to consoles, and also working on Tallowmere 2. It's still early days (been working on it on and off for 6 months so far), but I want the sequel to have lots more enemies and weapons, room themes, character levels, and network multiplayer! Will be bigger and better all around.

So I'm not sure if this update is the last update for the original Tallowmere or not, we shall see. But thank you for playing!

7. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    #147 Gluskap, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Just bought this and damn. Enemies, weapons and other loot are just what I want from a roguelike. Don't miss this gem for $1. (Until July 10 I guess)

There is one thing though I want to mention. I really wish this had fixed buttons for movement. Because it is hard to operate character with sliding when a lot of things going on.

TL;DR: I want to move my char. with two buttons. Then I can decide whether sliding (again over these buttons) or just tapping. If you can add this to the game @ChrisNZL I would be really happy. I think it should be easy because game already has this on PC (version). Example:

Attached Files:

8. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Hi Gluskap, thanks for your feedback.

I tried implementing static movement buttons last year and didn't like it, but let me try again.

With static movement when I was testing it, when I'm busy trying to be aware of everything on the screen and my left thumb moves too far from the centre-line between the left and right buttons, I'd end up dying due to not moving how I wanted and getting frustrated. If you move your thumb too far to one side (which I'd often do), the distance to reach the other movement button is increased, resulting in a longer time to move the other way, as well as sometimes thinking you've moved your thumb far enough when actually you haven't, so you'd move the wrong way, resulting in getting hit and dying.

So instead, I developed an adaptive movement slider, so you're not required to know where the line between the left and right movement buttons are. You can slide left or right anywhere on the left side of the screen at will.

With the slider, there is a small pixel threshold where you have to move your thumb a small distance before the movement starts, which prevents you from about-facing when you don't want to. The small distance you have to roll your thumb to initiate the movement after you've tapped down is consistent no matter where you initiate the tap on the screen.

Whereas with static movement, the distance to move in the other direction changes depending on where your thumb happened to land, which I couldn't stand. (eg, say I tapped right rather far, and then wanted to move left but didn't move my thumb left far enough so I'd end up tapping right again... not fun!)

But, let me try adding static movement buttons as an option if you'd like, because hey, if you prefer static buttons better than I, that sounds okay to me.

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Chris your game is amazing I can't stop playing it. One of my most played iOS games in recent years.

Please tell me you'll consider a sequel!

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Read 3 posts above yours ;)

11. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Jorlen, thank you, glad you're enjoying it :)

I am working on Tallowmere 2 at the moment, yep! I don't have much to show at the moment. There's a couple of videos and gifs on the site showing movement and axe combat so far. Most of my endeavours so far have been going towards character animation and multiplayer networking, which are going well so far.

Recently I've started taking a good look at how I want to do the weapons system this time around. I feel like leaning towards a more traditional RPG levelling system where the player, items, enemies, and dungeons have levels this time (rather than capping the items and just increasing the room sizes, and having enemies' strength grow vaguely).

Typical weapons in games are melee (axe, sword), ranged (rocket launcher, bow and arrow), thrown (grenades, daggers), and magical/short-ranged/other (wands, flamethrower, spells). I plan to have weapon types still have a main gameplay mechanic each, but also want to have a chance that allows mechanics from other weapons be applied to other weapons. So weapons will likely be a mixed RNG bag of mechanics (for better or worse!), rather than the one-mechanic-per-weapon that Tallowmere has. So a new shiny weapon might have higher damage but could have some weird mechanics that make it quirky to use, or maybe you'll get lucky and find something awesomely overpowered.

I am coding creatures to share the same codebase this time around, which will allow for AI to be shared amongst enemies and friendly NPCs, as well as potentially allowing for some mind-control spells. I plan to have elites take on mechanics from other mobs and weapons (rather than just increasing their health and damage), so should up the difficulty and make things more randomised to keep the replayability high.

As well as clearing dungeons this time, I plan to have an actual ending (though maybe there will be different plots per playthrough?), but will also have a NewGame+ mode. I also want unlockables this time, but need to decide if unlockables will unlock gradually (and in a random order?) per playthrough, or if unlocks will be persistent between deaths. All in all, I hope to make the sequel bigger and better :) Will take me a long time but will be worth it.

12. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Whaaaaat? Tallowmere 2!!!????
    This will be great! I love Tallowmere!
    It's one of my favorites on iOS!!!!

Wish you all the best buddy!:D

13. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Just killed my first hydra, with thanks to some nifty grenades. This game really opens up once you unlock health regen equipment. Despite the fact that they can drag you into a lot of trouble, once you unlock some higher level katanas you will become a proper ninja. At least they're my fave weapon. Oh beautiful game, where have you been all my life?

14. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Bump! You really should buy this while it's on sale. Probably the Rogue-like with the most wildly fun arcadey gameplay. It's like a cross between Super Crate Box and Wazhack, but much better than either of those two (if you ask me). Soooo good.

15. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I agree. I paid full price for it and got more than my money's worth. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes action-based rogue-likes or tough action games. It has tons of replay value and the equipment system is really good, reminds me of diablo-style gear which is a huge plus in my book.

Just get it. You'll thank me later. If you have an MFI controller, it's even better!

16. Gluskap

Sep 12, 2015
    #156 Gluskap, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    ChrisNZL Thank you for detailed answers. People here praise developers and their games without knowing that most of them don't give a thing about users' opinions or questions. Believe me I contacted many and nearly all of them are ... well I don't wanna swear right now. Thank you again because looking to your messages I can clearly say you care about players and their experiences.

About the fixed buttons. Well I still can't move properly to survive when things go crazy and I noticed that because there is no fixed position, slowly I move my finger/hand towards center of the screen and blocking my view (playing on 9.7" iPad). If it's a hassle to do along with Tallowmere 2, I understand.

17. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Hi Gluskap, yeah honestly, platform controls on a flat glass touchscreen is hard to pull off. Without physical buttons or sticks to dictate what you can press, it's tough :)

I am working on static movement buttons today. Can you please private message me your email address and I'll add you to my TestFlight list? Just so I can get some feedback from you once I get a new build ready.

On a side note, I read a couple days ago that Apple is dropping the requirement for Apple TV games to require Siri remote control input to work; developers will soon be able to specify that tvOS apps can explicitly require an MFi controller to work:

I've had a couple customers request an Apple TV version of Tallowmere, and with this upcoming requirement change, I might be keen to buy a new Apple TV and see about getting a tvOS version going.

18. Gluskap

Sep 12, 2015
    PM sent.

The more I play, the more I am being good at it. Reached Room 40 boys! #themoreyouknow

Proof of that coming tomorrow. BTW I have so many ideas which will improve the game IMO. Is it ok to post them here or I can send you an e-mail?

19. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Post here if you'd like, either's fine. (thanks for your PM too)

To me, Tallowmere is a small game (but not too small!). It's my first game, so I didn't really know what to expect. (the first time you paint a painting, it's probably not going to be your best painting ever, but hopefully your next painting will be better!)

I've learned a lot from programming this. I've lots of bigger things planned for its sequel. So while I probably won't add much else to Tallowmere, I'm all ears for ideas for Tallowmere 2.

Several things in Tallowmere were inspired by customer feedback as I developed it, so I am keen to hear what you have to say. Can't promise anything, but feedback and ideas are welcome :)

20. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    On sales now for a buck and as hard as fun ! Very surprised ! Hope for a second opus !