Universal Tallowmere (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 10, 2015.

1. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Just got all the way to 23, previous best was 15 so yeah I am pretty stoked. I like this game because I learn something new about strategy almost every time I play.

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I'm right on the fence (closer to the buying side) on this game.

My one and only concern at this point is controls. I watched a few PC gameplay videos and noticed that shield blocking (holding shield up) is important and wanted to know how the controls feel with this in mind?

Is it easy to get used to? I got used to devious dungeon's controls and I'm admittedly really bad at touch screen controls; just offering a comparison.

3. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #123 JasonLL, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    If you can play Devious Dungeon then you will be able to get these controls down without a problem :) . Rolling your thumb for left/right movement does take getting used to for some players. I am also usually wary of excessive touch controls (which is why I usually stick to board game ports and RPG's, with a few exceptions) but I've found the controls extremely well done and responsive in Tallowmere.

The game does have a learning curve, knowing when to attack and when to lay back and defend (much like Devious Dungeon), which does require a bit of patience although for me it has been very rewarding. This game has become one of my go to dungeon crawlers for my iPad. If you like Devious Dungeon and don't mind the game beating you up for your first couple of games I would certainly recommend this wholeheartedly.

4. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Well I caved and bought it earlier today. Controls are fine, work well. Now I just need to not suck lol. Really like it so far. Anyone who likes platformer/action roguelikes should consider it. Love the random loot system too.

5. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Yeah it could be frustrating.. I've played numerous times and haven't gotten passed level 26 I think.. I know I'll make a deep run soon but patience is the key.. And so are anti stun potions lol.. I hate those bastards that stun you.. Getting stunned in the later levels is almost impossible to recover from..

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    They are rather nasty. I have nothing else to do with my gold so I buy those anti-stun potions. If I don't have any though, I'll use my dagger, stealth and backstab. Requires finesse but damn it's satisfying killing those stunning bastards in one hit.

This game... it's like crack. I'm at floor 20ish at the moment but it's getting really tough.

7. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Making a pretty epic run here.. I'm at level 72 so far ##

Attached Files:

8. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Made it to room 78... So close to 80 ## Lol

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Room 78!? Please share some strategies with me.

I've finally made it to 25 when I got momentarily distracted (I have wife and child so it happens often) and got killed. I thought it was quite an achievement to make it that high but... 78!?

What are your fav weapons? WHat stats do you try to go for on armor?

BTW - I'm surprised this game doesn't have more conversation. It's easily one of the best action-rogue-likes I've played in years. It looks really simplistic but trust me, there is depth here and I never seem to get tired of trying again after death. I highly recommend it.

10. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Submitted v323 to Apple last night, is "waiting for review". Pending changes:

[​IMG]

I've also ordered a Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i controller; once that arrives I'll hopefully get local co-op in!

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sick, sick, sick enemy! Love it!!!:)

12. deekins77

deekins77 Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Anyone else notice the only really viable weapon at later rooms is the ice wand? Well I guess not viable but there's clearly no contest

13. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Omg awesome.. Can't wait for the update to go live

14. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    #134 Luciano1084, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Haha yeah early on I knew it was going to be a good run.. The key is getting lucky really.. I came across some badass loot early in the game.. 6, 7 star gear with high health regain.. My favorite weapon by far is the ice wand but all the range weapons are useful.. I found myself using grenades and the rocket launcher in certain situations.. But the ice wand was the weapon of choice for 95% of the run.. Trying to mix it up with a melee weapon in the later rooms is a recipe for disaster.. Also once you get into rooms 30 and up an anti stun potion is a must... Getting stunned is a killer late in the game.. Do your best to check your surroundings before advancing through the dungeon and build a strategy.. And lastly patience.. This run lasted 300 plus minutes... Hope that helps ##

15. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Agree 100%

16. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Update can't come soon enough ####

17. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Can't make it past room 9 lol damn this games hard. I guess going Rambo in the rooms isn't a good strategy. And I never use my shield. I sacrificed kittens and got to room 10. Wat

18. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    Seems cool, although everything is overshadowed by those giant, contrasty blocks. Tone those down, I want to focus on the characters/action...

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #139 Jorlen, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Thanks for the latest update!

This is still my favorite Action roguelike to come out in years. I'm thrilled to see development continues.

If I may provide some feedback: I think some slight tile variance and or backgrounds would do wonders to give a bit of variety in levels.

Also I finally made it to level 38! That was a crazy run.

20. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Version 330.2 is live now. Added some Bloat mobs; these creatures suicide, explode, and can stun other enemies.

Tallowmere is also 25% off on the App Store until 21 September 2015.