Universal Tallowmere (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 10, 2015.

1. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Future plans are to add more events, weapons, enemies, maybe some other features too to spice up each playthrough (thinking of trinkets, blacksmiths for upgrades, maybe even pets/companions). But no plans for persistent unlockables or rewards at this time, for my feel for the game is to have every run start fresh for anyone, whether you've played 2 times or 200 times, much like a deck of playing cards. Tallowmere is very much a score-attack game, the rooms are endless. The game's scope is intentionally kept small so you can pick up the game at any time and see how far you can get, without having to try and remember what item does what too much.

No plans to support iOS 7 right now. Tallowmere needs beefy mobile hardware to run well, and I don't think the iPhone 4 would cut it.

2. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Wow, sounds like it's going to be a blast in the future, can't wait!

3. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    iPhone 4? But iOS is the software, isn't it? I'm a bit confused now…
    Anyway, I'm using an iPad 2, is that not beefy enough either?

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dear Tallowmere,

Why can't I quit you?

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Another bad week for me and so much money left...i'm not in the mood to read through the thread for once, but i read the review just to stop at "The interface and controls are easily the weakest aspects of this bloody ride"...so, how about the controls, is there something new in the works?

6. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Just want to say that I really have been enjoying this game immensely. Downloaded on a whim a couple days ago not sure if I would enjoy a very difficult side-scrolling dungeon crawl but this game "clicks" for me in a way that few games do, although my skill level at this game is very poor. I am not sure how far you want to expand the Tallowmere experience but I would certainly support future expansions/content or follow-ups.

Curious to know how far can you push the decals level in the options menu using a iPad Air before it slows down or stutters, especially during the later levels (the ones I have yet to encounter :D)?

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #107 undeadcow, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    The primary controls seem responsive and functional. They are even nicely placed closer to the middle of the screen where they feel ergonomic. Some of the menu icons are smaller but thats likely by design to now clutter the screen and you wont used those in the thick of action. I have had no problems with controls.

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    3.5 stars is pretty harsh.. Controls work just fine on my iPad mini 2... I could see how small text could be an issue on an iPhone, it's fine on iPad though..

This game makes me rage quit all the time.. But sure enough I fire it up 30 minutes later and try again.. Loving this

9. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Super fun game, but I'll be excited when the UI update drops. Right now switching weapons is a bit of a pain in the butt.

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks, you pushed me over ;)

The controls are very responsive, no moaning possible, imho. To have the most fun and for my personal preferences though, i'd wish me to rotate them counter clock-wise by one, so attack would be in the corner. Of course, the font size should be bigger, but i'm fine.

Oops, one of the most difficult games i ever started out. Died without knowing...

And no, nothing died inside of me after sacrifying the kittens. Nice achievement.

11. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Just encountered something weird... Has anybody else had a green circle over your character's head and it emits mistish stuff?

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Made it to level 28 this time...

13. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    That's the Anti-Stun Potion effect in place :)

I've submitted v320 to Apple for review, will probably take a few days for them to look at it.

Pending changelog for v320:

I've coded the upcoming resolution options to decrement in 10% notches for iPhone and iPod native resolutions down to 500p or so, so for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, there should be options available for approximately 1080p, 972p, 864p, 756p, 648p, and 540p. Text becomes larger the smaller the resolution is. Tested with AirPlay, has no problem displaying different resolutions. iPad resolutions will remain unchanged at 1024x768 as is current with v319.

In the future, I'll hopefully redo the whole UI to be resolution-independent (and independently scalable), but this quick fix should be an improvement at least once live.

[​IMG]

The buttons for Interact and Shield/Attack/Jump will be able to be repositioned, still only on the right-side (a little wiggle room for being positioned slightly left or slightly right), but can be moved up and down as you please.

[​IMG]

And added MFi controller support, tested with my SteelSeries Stratus XL. On-screen buttons become hidden when you use the controller, but touch the screen and the buttons will reappear. Hopefully will be live in a few days!

14. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=261644][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261599][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261580][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261647][​IMG][/thread] [thread=255173][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261383][​IMG][/thread]

Tallowmere

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

May 14th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #115 ojtitus, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
    The update is here, Thank You Very Much for adding MFi controller support. I'm off to give it a go. :)

Edit: MFi controller support works great!

16. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Thanks for fixing the small text and button placement for six plus. Made the game much better, now that I can read what's going on :)

17. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Woah! Thanks for the update!!
    Game isn't crashing anymore on my iPhone 4S.
    I'm super happy! This is a lifetime game. Seriously. Thanks for the dedicated support!

18. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    this game is amazing with a MFi controller. in fact, this might be my favorite MFi game so far.

to Chris, who hopefully will see this: Since iOS supports multiple controllers, is there any chance of getting the co-op features added to this?

19. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    I should be able to enable local co-op, just need to buy another controller. I'm finishing up a new insect enemy at the moment, then I think I'll submit the update to Apple, then tackle allowing local co-op like the desktop version, should be a piece of cake once I buy a second controller to test with.

Also will submit the update for some Challenge modes just gone live on the desktop version, just need to create the Game Center leaderboards for the Challenges then should be good to go.

20. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply. If you want a different controller (for experimentation), the mad catz CTRLi is fantastic. and the new horipad is supposedly good...