Universal Tallowmere (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 10, 2015.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Does this have achievements? Do you need to have ultra fast reflexes or can you be somewhat strategic about choices? Thanks!

2. JetJaguar

JetJaguar Member

Apr 26, 2014
    This game is rad, I played it on steam for weeks and the dev is a super nice guy. Haven't tried it on ios yet but was wondering if there are new bosses or enemy types? That was my only complaint with it, that after a while the enemies/bosses get repetitive.

Definitely worth $3 though!

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    There are achievements, only available when you don't sacrifice the cute kittens. And you definitely need to be above average dexterous to succeed, but there are weapons and stats that allow you to be more tactical as well like ice wands and daggers.

4. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Finally got to play it on Android and it's everything I could ask for and more. Highly addicting and original. Possibly a contender for game of the year. As fun if not more than The Enchanted Cave 2.

5. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    I’m on the fence on this
    Do I need to have good reflex for this game?
    The videos look very hectic and challenging
    How’s the control on the 6+?

6. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    it is indeed very challenging and you have to be very carheful whwn you get up to room 10 and after,in some case you need a good reflex as you have to change between shield and weapons when you got few enermies st the same time , i only can get to room 18 on my best run, but i 'd say this game is one of the best of its kind. highly addictive and replyability .

7. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ok soo I've seen tons of games state they're like Dark Souls etc. to stress the difficulty and what not. Thus far I've found nothing that's even remotely close to that on iOS.

However I can finally state that this game is the closest I've found to 'Dark Souls esque'. In my opinion.

It's very challenging and you need to understand how each weapon works to utilise it properly, no one weapon I've found is OP and different weapons change up your game play a lot.

Some tips;

1. Patience is your friend
    2. Keep that shield up
    3. Patience is your ally
    4. Keep your damn shield up
    5. Run away as much as you need to!
    6. If possible always keep an item that has health regen incase you can't TP back.

Best $$ I've spent in a long time.

Also you don't have to hit the attack/sheild/jump buttons exactly. You can hit the surrounding areas to still activate it.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    1 & 3. This * 100
    2 & 4. Actually I only use the shield for lightning, stuns, and bosses and that is only if I don't have a dagger or a katana.
    5 & 6. This is why you want health regen, but you can go back to previous rooms for the waypoint.

This is one of the best games I have played on the iOS. Only got to room 14 and died because I got bad luck with ogre placements. Get a legendary katana with health regen though... game isn't to bad.

9. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Heh broke my own 20 room "speedrun" record because no one else is on that leaderboard :p

10. Bumbethon

Bumbethon New Member

May 26, 2014
    Awesome game!

this is a super fun and addicting rogue like! I bought it without really knowing what to expect, but I'm really glad I did. There's tons of item variety and every weapon type has a completely different playstyle. Lots of different kinds of enemies, including bosses. Add to that traps, event rooms, frantic skill-based combat (or tactical, methodical combat, depending on the weapon), character progression (at least until you die) - this one's got it all. Definitely 5 stars and a must-buy for rogue-like fans.

11. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    You've got my attention...

12. Sheo

Sheo Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Russia
    Somehow mobile version manages to run not so smooth as a dekstop version and I dont believe that ipad air 2 cant handle 60 fps. Pretty dissapointed

13. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    This game is hard not to love. Even though it can be hard and agrivating when you die, there's definitely eneough here to keep this game on the good books

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Made it to room 50 in 4h23m, the later rooms really become puzzle-like as you need to figure out the exact weapon type and attack tactic to kill elite groups.

15. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Only played one run so far and really loved it!

16. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Having a lot of fun with this one so far, thanks for talking me into it guys

17. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    This is one of the best comments I have ever read. You took me on a journey.
    I was on the fence, but after reading this, I am definitely downloading this game.

18. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    MC is well known for the raw power of his rhetoric!
    What worries me though, is that I just won't be able to keep up with the action in this game--my reflexes aren't what they used to be.
    If it was turn based like a real roguelike, I would jump at this...

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, thanks guys. I'm flattered. *bro hugs the dudes* I'm glad I still have the power to make people spend a little money when PeteOzzy's making it bloody hard to save any of mine. :p

@gakuka: Don't hesitate for a moment. There's something so wonderfully raw about the game in general, but it doesn't take more than 30 seconds to realize just how great it is.

@Roleki: As long as you're blocking and resisting the urge to just hit everything in sight, I think you'll be fine. It's less about reflexes and more about knowing when and how to strike. Give it a chance. ;)

20. smiley_u

smiley_u Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Ok - as a hardcore PC/console gamer, who has never had much luck in many years finding an iOS game he likes - I have to say this is the best game I've played in quite a while - in ANY platform. (Although I later noticed this is originally a GreenLight game :) )

Dark Souls comparisons are not out of place - this game has the exact perfect combination of "difficulty - sudden demise - i hate this game - but what's around that corner - omg can't stop playing" mix.

Also, having cleared 31 floors with all kittens alive, I'm currently #1 on GC, which has never happened before in all my gaming history - so I'm proud. I'm sure you guys will beat it in no time, but I already took my screenshot. :D

Go buy this game - period.