Universal Tallowmere (by Chris McFarland)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 10, 2015.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I must say I agree. I play this game with an MFi controller and it is amazing fun. One of my favorite IOS titles in years. Very fun even with the touch controls. Endlessly replayable IMO.

2. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Something that's added even more fun is I've managed to fix my game centre and have the leaderboards and achievements, very happy about that especially with clearing room 40(!). Course I died on 41 but due to my own mistakes. Brilliant game. Brutal but brilliant

3. ChrisNZL

ChrisNZL Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Hi all, just wanted to touch base.

Tallowmere is now available on the Nintendo Switch for the Americas, Europe, and Australia.
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/tallowmere-switch

Switch version is ported and published by Teyon. Japan and New Zealand releases will be announced soon.

Tallowmere's iOS version is slightly outdated, sorry; the Game Center plugin I was using isn't compatible with recent versions of Xcode, and newer versions of the plugin use a completely different API, and I've been busy working on Tallowmere 2 so haven't gotten around to updating the iOS version. Differences between v344 and v350: a couple languages were added, and minor bugfixes, so nothing huge. Tallowmere still runs nicely on iOS 11 in any case.

Tallowmere 2 is coming along, I have cross-platform network multiplayer working at the moment, and on my iPhone 6s Plus the game runs at 60 FPS smoothly. Also going to ensure you can play local co-op with MFi controllers this time, which should fit well for iPad. Initial Apple TV testing is managing 30 FPS, so not as smooth as iPhone but still decent.

It's still a few months off, but I plan to offer TestFlight testing when ready. If you'd like to be added to my upcoming TestFlight list for Tallowmere 2, please email me [email protected].

Thanks!

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    wow, great news Chris!!!

5. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Hi all,

I've uploaded a Tallowmere 1 iOS update to Apple. It's mostly a quality-of-life update, but new features include local co-op, iCloud support, new translations, iPhone X support, and bugfixes.
    I've also uploaded a tvOS version for the first time.

I've yet to submit to Apple for review. Right now, I am looking for TestFlight testers with:

• iPhone X (need to double-check the screen expands all the way to the curved edges, and ensure the UI elements are away from the sides and on-screen home button. I've tested what I can, but I don't have an iPhone X myself, so any help to check these things would be greatly appreciated); or

• Apple TV 4th or 5th gen with one or two MFi Controllers willing to give the new tvOS version a whirl (requires tvOS 11); or

• Any iOS user with two MFi Controllers willing to try the newly-added local co-op mode.

I've also added iCloud support, so character data and high scores should be synced now too (data is uploaded as you play, but is only downloaded when the game boots up).

Also worth noting, due to memory requirements, devices with 512 MB RAM just aren't cutting it, so I've decided to require 64-bit CPUs, as devices with A7 chips and higher have at least 1 GB RAM. Minimum iOS version is still 8.1. (it was either keep 32-bit support and enforce iOS 10, or keep iOS 8 but require 64-bit; I've gone with the latter)

If you'd like to test, please PM me or email [email protected], and let me know your TestFlight email and what devices you have. Cheers

6. ChrisNZL

May 10, 2015
    Tallowmere iOS update released today.
    Version 350.6 changelog:

7. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Great! I'm looking forward to Tallowmere 2, too. Cheer up! :D

8. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Buying this right now!

9. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Simply fantastic!

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I paid full price for this game and it's earned it's value a hundred times over.

I IMPLORE YOU to buy this game if you like rogue-lites / platformers. It's so much fun; easily one of my favorite rogue-lites in years and I play a metic sht ton of them.

11. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Care to name your favourite ones beside this one? I'd really appreciate it, here or pm. Thanks in advance... #

12. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Me too, please!

13. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I own Tallowmere on steam too, and I was mostly talking about that platform, sorry to disappoint! I find this genre a bit lacking on IOS. There have been many releases but none that have captured my heart, not as of late. Rogue Wizards is one, but it's more a rogue-like than a rogue-lite I think. Still worth checking out!

Another is Neon Chrome, which I own on Steam but is also on IOS. A fantastic rogue-lite with permanent unlocks, which helps the sting of getting annihilated often :)

14. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I suggest, to all of you, Leap Of Fate. Here on iOS.

15. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Oh, what a love/hate relationship I have with this game! Seldom have I been so close to actually tossing my controller across the room, only to accept my umpteenth brutal (and always unexpected) demise and begin again. Seriously, I can't remember when a video game cramped my hands into claws and threatened me with a heart attack. Maybe Diablo II. At my age, it's probably not wise to continuously jump back in for another savage beating. But I do.

Funny thing is, I've had this game for many months, tried it a few times, but never got hooked, just frustrated. Still, I've always thought I'd like the game if I could just get a handle on some of its nuances. In other words, not die so much. Well, I got a little better recently, actually a lot better, and now I love it. And I hate it. But mostly I love it.

I still think I can beat it, which is really stupid because it's a brutal, freaking rogue-like. And it's obvious to me that the designer has severe sadistic tendancies and does not care a whit for my competitive nature or even my pending heart attack.

For what it's worth, I've made it to level 20. It seems like the difficulty really kicks in around level 16.
    As soon as I get my blood pressure stabilized, I'm back at it.

16. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Does the game actually have an ending? I've gotten pretty high up in levels, and just assumed it kept going forever until the inevitable death.

17. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    I sometimes long for an ending, some sort of ultimate goal, but I don't think there is one outside of improving your score. After all, it's a roguelike. But all the dying! Dying after buffing up and collecting a mighty arsenal. All that work... only to... die... again and again. Maybe an ending would be a good thing? No! it's a roguelike!
    Do I want an ending? Sometimes. But then...
    I'm so conflicted!
    Forget it. No ending, and I'm fine with that. It's about the journey, not the.. blah, blah...#
    Just bring on Tallowmere 2 and give us more toys! #

18. hopeelanda

hopeelanda New Member

Feb 18, 2018
    How about left and right? Is there a joystick or buttons

19. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Can’t wait for tallowmere 2

I’ll buy it dayone

20. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Same here. Been salivating at the mouth since I heard it was being developed.

I'd actually be willing to test the game and provide meaningful feedback, which is not something I'd ever do regularly. I like the game that much.