Universal Talisman: Horus Heresy (by Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, May 10, 2016.

1. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Well... it's really not all THAT much more than a re-skin of an existing game. And the Steam version is MUCH pricier. So I can understand reviews not being exactly glowing.

On the other hand, the game's gorgeous and fun -- just not original at all. So if you enjoyed Talisman, or if you've never played it, $2.99 for the iOS version is a relatively minor plunge.

2. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    This game is a dead set steal at the current price. While not a completely new idea, what they've done (with Talisman as a base) is create something fresh that oozes quality and plays beautifully. It's fun, it looks amazing, it has enough content to keep a board game fan happy for ages and comes in under $10 for the complete game. The two character packs are only a buck a piece, both containing two heroes/villains each. To me that doesn't require more research on whether it's worth it or not, on the contrary, it reminds me how lucky we are as iOS gamers when something of this quality comes along at such a tiny price point with zero consumable iap crap. Just my thoughts.

3. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I own talisman on iOS, ghough not much else with dlc and stuff. So... If I want something new, stay away from this unless I really like the setting?

4. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Already another one called Regicide coming next week. Hey if people keep buying it they'll keep making em! I personally have not enjoyed one of these titles and after Snotling Fling realized uhh yeah, I'll just bypass this series from this point on given all the good things the app store has to offer.

5. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #25 Ringerill, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Let's admit it immediately : Yes this game is similar to Talisman. Same system of stats (modified to fit the 40K universe but same as HP, Strenght, Craft, Ressources and Fate), similar board, unique goal, etc... But this is a tabletop/board game so it was expected.

On the other side, all the mechanics are not the same! You have 2 factions (could be seen as the Good/Evil alignment) instead of a free for all, so you have allies/teammates and you can work together. Passing different regions is not the same, "spells" are quite different too. When you attack someone you can chose to make it a Melee or Ranged combat so it allows more specialization for you character. Encounters can be from one faction or neutral.

Well, I can't describe it entirely but even if it is some sort of clone of Talisman, certain aspects are different and maybe it will diverge more and more with the updates. And if you liked Talisman, you could definetly be interested in this title. I think it adds something new and I'm curious to see what changes will be added in the future because this company brings us updates quite frequently.

And "spader623" : indeed if you want something totaly new, this is probably not the best game for that. If you didn't really enjoyed Talisman or got bored playing it too much, I'm not sure you will like this one... If someone disagrees, feel free to contradict me. Maybe for you it is different enough.
    "Son Of Anarchy" pointed it well : it is refreshing, pleasing for the eyes and cheaper on iOS. Maybe people will like it more that Talisman just because of graphics.

6. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Cant really tell, I guess it requires you to win a offline game first cos for me at least multiplayer is grayed out atm.

7. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Online play works for me, don't think it uses game centre. I don't game the game centre bug. Fixed it by logginin out of game centre, rebooting iPad, (home+on/off), then logging in again. Been perfect since then, not that I ever use it as I never play online, can't do with all the whingin' and insults that fly around these days.

8. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    If online worked for you from the beginning then it wont work if you have gc bug cos it wont work for me

9. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I'm finding the ethstetics unappealing overall, but the gameplay a bit more enjoyable than Talisman. Still, dice are unforgiving and frustrating at times.

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Anyone have a video?

11. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I will take a stab at this. You still have 2 combat stats. Instead of strength/craft you now have melee/ranged. Your combat stats still increase when you have 7 points of enemies killed, but if you cash in more than 7 the excess overflows into the next upgrade. In original talisman the excess was wasted. You also get combat stat xp from fighting enemies triggered by locations. Previously you could only cash in enemies that came from cards, now even enemies printed on the board give you xp.

Your spell allowance has been seperated from your craft score, and is now dependent on your strategy score. Your strategy gains xp from (I think) successful combat or actions. You also lose strategy xp from losing fights. Strategy is capped at 3 and is also used to add a positive modifier when attempting to recruit random allies from your faction.

The allies you recruit increase your combat stats. There are also numerous vehicle items that increase your combat stats. You can use multiple vehicles/items in a combat as it is thematically consistent to do so. It didnt make much sense in original talisman if you wanted to use 3 swords at once.

My impression is that multiple items, recruiting allies, and excess xp being saved leads to a much faster game. Your character simply has many more opportunities to level up.

The biggest change is the monsters/allies as they are aligned to the good guys or the bad guys. You want to recruit your allies before your enemy kills them, and vica versa.

12. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Tiny bug? No matter how many times I download the higher quality graphics and sounds package, it still 'misses' a small file (1.3mb) each time. So in effect it never completes the download.

13. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I picked this up for 5.49 CDN and despite some initial confusion (never played the tabletop version) and following the tutorial, I enjoy this game immensely. Like board game meets RPG, I can see myself sinking dozens of hours into this.

I wish the game had a quicker pace. Even advancing the speed to max I feel the games are long in length and that's just with 2 players. However, i guess it is important to see what's happening to your allies and enemies. It would be nice if there was an option that let you advance quicker to your next turn while providing a screenshot recap of what happened.

Regardless, 4.5 stars in my books and I look forward to playing the game further.

14. greeneggsnham89

greeneggsnham89 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    The game is awesome. Rule set and setting make it very enjoyable. Just played during a 2hr trip and finished just as I got to my destination.

15. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks! That clears quite a bit up. I'll have to find out the rest as I go along!

16. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Quest help

I have a quest asking me to deliver 2 resources to the Loyalist Mechanium forces in "Mars in the Middle Region"...

I can't see that region on the bird. Can someone help?

Nevermind, I found Mars

17. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    #37 Lickzy, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Does anyone know if your player level carries over to online play? What is the benefit of levelling up? (Not in game but after victory or defeat)

Secondly, can you play coop online or is it just head to head?

18. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Ive not seen a single other player in the online lobby so I cant answer that question.

When you level up a character he starts with extra equipment. Each character has different, specific equipment.

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad to see this is getting expansions, just like the ordinary version.:)

$4 is cheap for extra content.:D

20. jaxon58

jaxon58 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    Warrington, UK
    Yes, there will be more too!