Universal Talisman (by Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Anyone able to ELI5 what are all the zillions of talisman apps in the AppStore?

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Talisman Digital Edition - The big game (or gigantic game with all expansions enabled), the original game and the game based on the actual board game. Actively being updated. Can be played solo or multiplayer.

Talisman Prologue: Never played it but I believe it is a solo game that I heard was quite fun but limiting.

Talisman Horus Heresy: Talisman / Warhammer 40k mashup or as I like to say “Talisman in space”. Once again never played it but I remember it getting some good praise here in the forums although it was harshly criticized by some (Totalbiscuit) for not being different enough from the source game. Not actively updated anymore.

Talisman Origins: The latest solo Talisman game.

Talbs likes this.
  3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Question is, how good are they? The main game only has like a 3.3 on the App Store. Even fairly recent reviews say it’s buggy.

4. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    I have them all and find them all very good. The latest one, Origins, has, I think, a better layout and the tutorial is very good and explains things well. I closed app during the tutorial, went back an hour later, was at exact same place so good news there.

5. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I’ve ran into every hiccup and bug in Talisman especially after the Asmodee transfer (others have been luckier)...at least it seems that way and even with all my annoyances and frustrations it is still one of my favorite digital board games of all time and be fair to Nomad games, they are very active resolving issues with the main game.

Talisman can be played like a straight up board game with the base game only or with one or two expansions active that can be completed around an hour or it can be a massive role playing / fantasy epic with plenty of twists and turns that weaves together an amazing experience, that feels unique every time, with all the expansions active. It’s definitely an acquired taste though and there are definitely people that it doesn’t click with. If I’m judging Talisman on the merits of the game it’s easily five stars from me. I would rate the digital game at least four or five stars depending on the update. Still a four star Talisman, for me, has a greater fun factor than many games I would rate five stars.

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Didn’t one of the earlier ones have some rogue like / persistent benefits across games?

7. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Prologue is the earliest Talisman that I remember but I’m definitely not counting out any other Talisman presence before or around that time...I just don’t know. Not sure how the mechanics worked in Prologue compared to the original or if there was some sort of legacy element in that game.

If another Talisman existed that had persistent benefits across games that does sound interesting since more and more physical board games today are trying to incorporate that element into their games.

Talbs likes this.
  8. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    I thought it was a cool idea to have legendary cards to make the game harder, untill i saw that you have to buy them for every single expansion. I guess the next step is different packs of dice you can buy.