Universal Tales of the Neon Sea (by Boke Technology Company Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #21 Gwarmaxx, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020

yeaaaah, i guess i’m older than you ‘cause i’ve played all this games for the first time when they came out in the old Amiga/DOS days... FB and AW are among the best games i’ve ever played since my first days of vg player in the end of 70s...

i told you i’m an old gamer ;):D

edit> btw, you need to play also The Escapee by Invictus, it’s a really good port of an old Amiga Flashback clone still available on the app store.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-escapee/id339968310

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    You might have a few years on me if you started playing in the late 70s :D. Although I definitely remember the commodore days (SX-64, Amiga 500 and 1200 were my jam growing up) and the debuts of both Flashback and Another World (Out Of This World over here) ...just never got around to them despite the praise they received at the time.

I will look into the Escapee.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  3. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Yay, another old person! I started in the early (very early) 80’s on DOS.

My first RPGs were the AD&D Gold Box games and The Pawn and The Guild of Thieves were my first text games (and they both have iOS ports too).

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  4. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #24 Gwarmaxx, Nov 2, 2020
    yeah, i’ve owned all that AD&D Gold boxes on Amiga in later 80s too, i’ve got great moments playing them... Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, those from Dragonlance chronicles... what a days!

5. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    anyway, i’ve played through all the first chapter, and translation is all there and complete, unless you turn around at random entering unnecesary and untranslated locations...

all i can say is this game is beautiful... loving the info folders with their colorful icons!

6. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #26 Gwarmaxx, Nov 2, 2020
    they’ve emailed me this a couple of hours ago.

2B9AF372-9767-40A9-A7C7-3FA0B1B94A60.jpeg

7. yeah yeah

yeah yeah Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    that email doesn’t help...

8. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    ???

9. addink

addink Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Have to say I really enjoyed the parts that I could play. Beautiful pixel art, nice story, nice music, nice puzzles (not very difficult but the rest more than makes up for that)

Right now I’m stuck, as my current chapter in the main story line isn’t translated, but apart from the untranslated 7/12-shop early in the game (which I assume features only a side quest) everything upto now was great.

Localization obviously did not have any focus during their QA as many small language mistakes are featured in the translated parts, missing words, inverted answers, even the word ‘chapter’ is spelled ‘chaper’ in all the title pages. regardless of those, it’s a really nice game.

As for those interested in the gameplay: it might look like the game features actiony parts, at times it looks like a platform game, but in fact it really is not. Basically you move the protagonist (either the detective or the cat) left and right, in certain spots a specific interaction is possible, jump, climb, enter, pickup, talk, use or examine (to execute the action just tap once). So in a way it is a point and click adventure, it just so happens you point by leisurely moving the avatar.

hoping the fix will arrive soon :)

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  10. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I played this on Steam and, unless I’m totally blanking, I don’t remember any of the main story dialogue being completely untranslated. There were a bunch of glitches, and some untranslated “off the path” stuff.

Did they upload the wrong build, or am I misremembering?

11. addink

addink Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    UPDATE ARRIVED! MISSING TRANSLATIONS NOW FIXED :)

12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Really? I’ll still have to wait for some feedback to believe it.

13. addink

addink Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Really :)

(why would I make this up?)

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Well not that you’d make it up but it doesn’t mean that it’s good translation.

15. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    All the update says is that it fixed the translation in the 7-12 scene. There were a lot more problems than that. Even the “English” scenes had plenty of translation issues.

adin and ste86uk like this.
  16. addink

addink Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    All I mentioned was that the untranslated parts are now translated. I’ve played the updated version for a while now, and have not encountered any unexpected Chinese texts.
    So a game that was unplayable because the dialog was in a foreign script, is now playable, and it’s fun IMHO.

Small spelling mistakes? Yes there are some still there, but they are in no way so common or distracting that it takes away any of the fun to be had.

btw in my earlier description I mentioned everything was done by moving leisurely, however I found that later in the game there are some timed puzzles.

17. Vikas Pawar

Vikas Pawar Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 30, 2020
    Male
    UX UI Designer
    Singapore
    Looks so beautiful :)

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Free ATM....

I was REALLY enjoying this one until I couldn’t get past a part about an hour in where I needed to find evidence on a body in an alley. I dunno if it’s my phone model (iPhone 11) or what, but I couldn’t bring the magnifying glass down far enough to check out the foot.

If anyone grabs this and has the same issue (or even manages to get past it), it’d be appreciated if you could post about it here.... it’s been bugging me since I offloaded it a few weeks ago.
    =J

19. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i can’t remember that magnifying glass thing, but i finished it without any issues.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    can I ask what device you were/are using?