Universal Tales of the Adventure Company (by Eric Farraro)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Asian themed!? Yikes! I want it. One of my favorite themes.

Can you spare us a sneak peak? I'm curious what types of enemies. Ninjas? Samurais? Demons?

Thanks!

2. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Sounds good to me!
    Downloading...

3. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

#43 slothwerks, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    Sure, since you asked!

[​IMG]

You pretty much nailed it, yeah. Subject to change of course, I'm thinking of adding a monk and a samurai hero. The details of their abilities are still being worked out, but I have some ideas. I'm planning on having the Monk have some sort of 'combo' type bonus, where repeated attacks against the same guy does more damage. The samurai will probably revolve around some sort of seppuku style thing, where he is quite powerful, but that failure in battle may result in the premature death of your hero. Among the enemies, there's a dragon, a Raiden (of Mortal Kombat fame) style guy, a demon, and a couple others. Generally speaking, each episode has 5 unique enemies, plus a boss.

I've included some art for the Monk (a new hero) and Dragon (a new enemy), who quickly became two of favorite characters. It'll still be some weeks before 1.2 is available, but I'm going to begin work on it immediately after 1.1. I'm currently testing 1.1, which is quite hefty because of all the localization changes to help support the Asian character set. I'm hoping to submit though in the next 2 weeks.

4. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Great little game. Really fun and addictive.

The only thing I want - it would be a lot better if you can change your leader by just tapping them and then you see the information screen about your leader by holding down on them!

5. Krisjet

Krisjet Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I agree with Wigzisonfire that changing the leader with one tap would be great, and also that the game is awesome! Day one buy for me :) Will leave a good review too, more people should check this game out!

6. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This just got a 8/10 from Pocket Gamer, sounds like it's worth a look. Especially on a slow week like this.

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    You rock :)

Again, your sprite work is great despite your claim to "not be an artist." :rolleyes:

Those new abilities sound great. I do like how you're getting creative with the abilities. The more creative they are, the more likely they will impact new game strategies. The Samurai ability sounds the most interesting, I'd like to see how it finishes up. Keep us updated!

As for the leader changing, maybe consider a long hold for "information" and a tap to switch leaders since switching characters happens every few turns or so.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    8/10 (Silver Award) from Pocket Gamer. :) Congrats!!!

9. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Instantbuy !

10. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Are there ways to extend the turn count, within the game? I'm finding it impossible to get past level 4, no matter what!

Loving this, tho.

11. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    How is replay value?

12. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I felt that at first but it is actually perfect. You really have to analyse the enemy and work out which heroes would be best suited and how best to attack.

It seems super simple at first but there is a good amount out strategy to completing a dungeon.

On a side note, another thing that would be great would be attack information on your heroes when you click on them, just to see how much damge they cause (although not nexcesary, it would be nice.)

It would also be great to have a section to see little hero party in the opening menu. Just to see how many you have collected, which ones you haven't got and any info on them and also a monster encyclopedia to show you the monsters you have slain and any info on them!

That said, they would be fun additions to a 5star game for me! This is a great title.

P.s. I encountered a bug where I attacked a sand worm with my knight, instead of knocking his attack down by 1, his attack rose to 99 haha!)

13. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Really good. At the moment, there are 5 episodes, with #6 (Aquatic) on the way in 1.1 and #7 (Asian) in 1.2. Each episode functions a bit like a level. It may take one or two complete runs to collect all four achievements.

Each episode has a leaderboard. So, if you're into competing on the leaderboard, that's where your real replay value is. As you progress through later episodes, you get permanent upgrades and more characters, which could translate to higher score possibilities in earlier episodes.

Not quite as robust as Dungelot's character coin upgrade system (at least the first one; I insta-deleted the re-release of Dungelot 2), but individual characters are not the focus of this game as much as the group, or company, aspect.

Hope that helps!

14. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Thanks! That's enough to have me buy the game!
    Now downloading...

15. simplemindead

simplemindead Active Member

Apr 26, 2013
    It's referring to the "Quests" shown below the episode description of each episode. Tap on the sprites for each quest for quest info. I actually had the same question in the beginning.

Happy Birthday! :)

I believe one of the potions that'll be added in v1.1 will increase your turn count. Also, this from the upcoming thread.
    I like the idea of the title screen showing all of the heroes you've acquired. Monster encyclopedia also sounds like a nice feature in an update.

Regarding the 99 attack for the Sand Worm, that's because its ability lets it devour(kill) your hero if they have 5HP or less.

16. ccruncher

ccruncher Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm loving this game, I'm glad it came out on a light week so it won't be overlooked. It's very easy to get into, very engaging, and just a whole lot of fun! It seems like this will get continued love from the developer as well. This is easily my choice for game of the week!

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Interesting game, I think my main gripe with it atm is you hit enemies down to zero health, yet they attack back before the battle ends. How does that make sense? Are they attacking from death? Seems like a weird design choice, not really logical, I don't think I've played many rpgs where enemies attack with zero health.

18. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

re: streamlining leader selection
    This is something I'd love to do. I'm trying to figure out a good balance between optimizing play for experienced players and making it straightforward for new players. I promise I'll think more about it :)

re: new abilities (@L.Lawliet)
    Thanks! Yeah - I think I'm starting to hit my stride a bit, both in terms of the design and the artwork. Part of it is a necessity, because a lot of the "easy" abilities I've already done.

re: sandworm 99 attack
    Yeah, this is a little confusing, although if you read its ability, hopefully it'll make a bit more sense

re: hero list on the main menu / encyclopedia
    Totally love this idea. I had it in the initital plan to have the heroes marching by on the main screen; initially it'd be just the starting heroes (knight and archer) but then eventually, any hero you unlocked. I dunno, I always love little things like that on the start screen. I can't make any promises, but I do like it, and will definitely consider something fun like that for a future update.

re: enemies attacking at 0 health (@Cilo)
    One of my testers mentioned this too. In hindsight, perhaps it wasn't a good idea, but in my head, I've always imagined the attacks to happen simultaneously, but found that visually, it was too confusing to tell what was going on. If I had to do it again, I'd do exactly what you said (0 HP enemy means the end of the battle) and just rebalance the health of the enemies to survive an extra hit, so that the result would be the same. Not necessarily a satisfying answer, but gives you a little detail on why it is the way that it is.

I was so happy this morning to see the Pocket Gamer review, and I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so far :) I can't wait to continue moving forward with the first content update!

19. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Can this be addressed in an update?

20. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Really fun and depth! ;D