Universal Tales of a Viking: Episode One (by Dmitry Sadovnikov)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 16, 2015.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Initial imps

- very much like Hoplite, not just in the hex-based RL sense, but that combat is largely movement based
    - combat and movement animations need to be faster
    - music should be a seperate toggle to SFX
    - It saves it current state every turn, even when app leaves memory

2. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    #22 TokyoDan, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    How in high heaven does this game look great. I bought it but can hardly play it becuase of the artstyle. There is good pixel art (modern taking advantage of hi-res screens to give more detail), and there is bad pixel art (trying to look exactly as it did on an incomprehensible 8-color Apple 2 display). This is a good example of the latter. It is so grainy I can hardly tell what a sprite is and can hardly distinguish it from the background. This might be a great strategic game but the artstlye and graphics get in the way. Funny how I thought it looked good in the screenshots.

3. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Game in not bad, only 0,99 €. It is clearly a hoplite clone but the graphics are indeed awful.
    Gameplay is not bad. Problem is once you have thrown your axe, you can't kill enemies. (Only shield bash remains) So I never throw an axe if I have no rune to teleport to the axe or if there are some enemies left.

Hoplite clearly is a better and more polished game than this one.

4. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Yeah the graphics are a bit grainy, as was said. However they're hardly terrible. The problem are scale/zoom ratio and the fact that they're on a tiny screen.

Diablo 1 would look terrible on an iPhone screen too, but I'd hardly call it an ugly game graphically - maybe primitive, by this point.

5. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    You can get the axe back, one of the options is 'leap' so you can get to the axe no problem

6. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    #26 IOSgamer1980, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Finally got Rolan. Man, having two dudes to worry about is really changing the dynamic in unexpected ways, not to mention the new items I'm encountering.

To the axe concerns, some inventory items are retrievable/reusable weapons. I have a spear like this in my current game that kills all foes in a line.

This one's rapidly opening up for me and exposing a great deal more depth and breadth.

It's a shame that it's going head to head with another excellent Viking themed game (that's free, to boot).

Did I miss a Norse holiday or something? Is there a Viking equivalent of pirate day?

7. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013

The underlying issue is the limited contrast between the low-res sprites and the background tiles. Look no further than Hopolite to see how low-Rez sprites against a dark background is much easier on the eyes.

8. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Good point. I got Hoplite too and it is a beautiful little game that's very easy on the eyes.

9. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Happy to help fix translation. Pretty fun though. 3/5 Ducks

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crikey, now the vikings will all sound Australian, eh? ;)

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I love this game, think it actually improved the mechanics introduced in Hoplite, but am afraid it is still pretty unstable with mid game crashes on my iPad Pro iOS 9.2, beta 4. Though to be honest, though, it could be oddness with the iOS beta or something unique to the iPad Pro that is rendering your game unstable and thus hopefully isn't an issue for others.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmmm, I went through and updated all my games today, and now this won't start up. Just keeps crashing. I'm on an iphone 5/iOS 7.1.2, is anyone else having this issue?

I'm wondering if it's a GC issue, as I can start the game if I'm in airplane mode...

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #34 syntheticvoid, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Soooo.... Any word on a fix?

Guess not?

Oh well...