Universal Tales from the Borderlands (by Telltale Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Dec 11, 2014.

1. RomanReigns

RomanReigns Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    #21 RomanReigns, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Anyone who bought and played this,please share some impressions :) im just waiting for short review before buying it.Thank You :)

2. MiloTheBadKitty

MiloTheBadKitty New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Hey guys, just wanna chime in and say that first impressions are overwhelmingly positive.

I'm playing on an iPad Mini Retina with a little stutter here and there--as is to be expected with Telltale stuff--but a pretty solid overall frame rate and reasonable load times. Granted, I'm only 20 or so minutes in, but it's been smooth sailing so far. Certainly no crashes or anything like that.

If you're on the fence, please allow me to push you off into "buy" territory. :)

3. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Is this port better than Game of Thrones?

4. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm hoping so, given that with GoT, they tried to do some sort of CGI-photographic realism, which I would imagine pushed up the necessary requirements just a bit due to the weird 'prettiness' that they were trying to use..

Whereas everything in TFtB is based on the Borderlands engine, which, while toned down, I imagine would be easier to run due to the stylised cel-shaded look; it's not a huge strain on any PC I can think of (unless you're running, say, a notebook or basic work laptop).

Or at least that's what I'm hoping, else I'll just be getting it on Steam. I can't afford to get an iPad Air 2 yet. :p

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What is the gameplay like, is this a shooter or something else?

6. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    #26 Alex Wolf, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Aynone whos on the fence on buying this game should check out. "The wolf among us" of telltale libary... Easily the best game they offer!!

7. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    No, this is an interactive story, much like The Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead; you have dialogue choices, and allegedly, choices you make in dialogue (and by actions) make a difference in later chapters of the series.

But no, this is not an FPS or TPS or anything of the sort; it is a Telltale game, with similar gameplay to The Walking Dead Seasons 1&2, The Wolf Among Us and similar.

Only with less/fewer puzzle elements, I believe.

Edit: And though I agree with Alex Wolf in his statement, somehow I think he's biased. ;P

8. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Just so we're clear, every game from Telltale runs on their own engine. So GoT and borderlands are running on the same one not on Borderlands' (which is the Unreal Engine 3 btw).

9. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Oh, well, that's good to know! Or not, as it just raises more questions about the performance of the game and why GoT was so awfully optimised. Perhaps the textures in GoT were simply higher resolution? They didn't seem anything like past games from Telltale to me--TWD, TWAU, etc.

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thanks for the info, I thought maybe since this was actually based on a game and not a TV show, they did something different.

11. killercow

Well it's mostly due to the fact that Telltale operates on a tight schedule and, as such, optimization in their games is random. Even on PS3/PS4 they can still feel incredibly choppy. Heck even on a good PC sometimes it stutters.

12. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I think GoT was kind of rushed to be release before the end of the year.

13. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I just bought the game but I hope the person who posted above me was wrong about the puzzles being reduced. I love Telltale but I was hoping for more gameplay than in TWD or their other game series. I understand how these games operate and they do a good job with them but I feel they could be so much more if they strayed a bit from the normal formula.

14. NexusInfinity

NexusInfinity Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Does anyone know how long the game is?

15. killercow

It's quite longer than any other first episode from Telltale. I'd say around 3 hours. In the span of one episode you'll visit quite a lot of places and I thought it was a really exciting introduction. Can't wait for episode 2!

16. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    So, I got an iPad 3 can anyone say how well it runs and if it is actually enjoyable on the lowest Compatible device? :)

17. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Any chance for ipad 2 users to play that? =^_^=
    *fingerscrossed*

18. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Looks great. Played the heck out of BL2 and all of its DLC. Added to watch list for future purchase.

19. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Would love to hear what else made this week insane? Seems pretty tame as I haven't bought anything