Universal Tail Drift (by Right Pedal Studios Publishing)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I absolutely love it. 110% worth the wait.

As you can all probably tell, this game is absolutely stunning visually. It's slick cartoony art style is further bolstered by beautiful colors and lighting effects.

The game itself is fantastic, and is arguably the best Mario Kart-like game on the appstore.

I really dig the level progression, with the branching paths and such, with hidden coin bonuses and such. I also dig that you still get the full amount of coins for replaying levels, which definitely increases incentive to retry until you get 3 stars.

One thing I did notice however is that the time trial level hidden behind the 15 star gate on the bottom (the one before the 1000 coin bonus) recommends being a Rank 5 plane, yet I beat it on with almost no effort with a rank 2 plane. I'm not boasting, I just think level 5 is a little high, haha, as it was much too easy

Overall, awesome game guys. Fingers crossed this does well for you!

2. We're very happy to be compared to Mario Kart :D It certainly was a strong influence. We spent a fair bit of time playing playing Mario Kart 8 while developing Tail Drift, it's a hard life being a game developer ;)

Thanks for letting us know about the Time Trial too, it's really helpful when it comes to tuning the game in the future.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm not sure I agree that the unlock costs aren't balanced towards encouraging people to pay for more. I've managed to upgrade one of my ships to Level 5 without too much grinding at the end of the first class, but I'm now stuck on the first race of the second class.

I thought I'd try a different ship, but the only way to afford a new ship and upgrade it to Level 5 (required so it's any use at all in the second class) is an awful lot of grinding. If I knew I was going to be stuck with my first ship, I'd have chosen something with a higher top speed.

It's still a good game and it doesn't feel like a paywall. It's just disappointing that halfway through the game I still can't get a second ship. I guess this is inevitable when you get a game as polished as this for 69p though.

4. This sounds more like a balance problem from our end. Tour 2 is geared towards Rank 5 planes, and we should probably tweak a few things. What plane are you having difficulty with?

5. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I was using the Rank 5 Cloudburst. I managed to scrape a 3rd place eventually and then two starred the next level first try, so it was maybe just a tougher level for me

Like I say, it didn't feel like an impossible barrier or a hard paywall and I am enjoying the game still; it's just disappointing to feel limited to a single craft in a racing game. It's like having Mario Kart but only being able to race as Mario.

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I can totally see it, especially since MK8 has those cool new Zero-G parts

No problem, I'll post anything else I find

7. I dunno, those little plumber legs can really fly...

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Don't take it too harshly. Mario Kart where you only have Mario unlocked would still probably be the best kart racer out there.

You've created a great game!

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    But hey, Mario is upgradable in this ;)

10. I'm pretty sure Mario would look awesome with an upgrade jet engine strapped to his back.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, way better than that lame red star in Super Mario Galaxy

12. Perseus

Perseus Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    #32 Perseus, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    I was about to compare it to Mariokart too. The red and white checkers pattern is also very reminiscient of Sonic! Boy.. those games sure have some fun multiplayer modes in 'em *cough dev cough*

(I'll stop about adding MP now ;))

13. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    Just my 2c but I don't think multiplayer would add all that much to the game, at least not in its current state. Combat is too limited and competing for the quickest lap or longest run has more lasting appeal than a single race against my buddies in real time. Probably in the minority thinking so, but thought I'd throw that out there.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Instead of all the ipod 4g requests why dont you upgrade ? I was sad when more and more apps were crashing on my ipod 4g, buying a second hand ipod 5th gen was soooo cheap on ebay and well worth it. Now you cant expect devs to constantly make sure it works on an ipod 4g. Bought a second hand ipod touch 5th gen on ebay for just over £100

15. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Hate Mario!! Like this game though. Nice graphics and gameplay. It gets better when you buy the Cloudburst plane. It controls much better.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #36 JCho133, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Wow, not too many people playing this yet.

I still think this is the star of the week, though I've never really gotten into Reckless Racing, which is obviously a bit of a powerhouse

17. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    This is way more my scene than Reckless Racing. Too busy re-watching Buffy to play too many games right now, but the half hour I put in was amazing (especially for 69p). Good luck gaining some momentum!

18. Thanks, glad everyone is liking it :) We've been working really hard to make the game we want to play. If you're enjoying the game, it would be awesome if you could just mention it to a friend, or share it on facebook/twitter. Word of mouth is one of the best ways for people to find out about a game. :)

And more people means more crowns to steal ;)

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, I'll be spreading the word. Absolute rubbish that this didn't get featured :/

20. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'll have to pick this up. A lot of good comments about it.