Universal Tactics Maiden (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No endless mode (yet) .
    There is one scenario that you can repeat endlessly, mostly for grinding purposes if you absolutely need it (which you shouldn't).
    And the story does not branch, so you can see all of it in one play if you do all the side missions.

However, with the different difficulty settings (those really make a difference), and the crazy amount of available characters - not to mention the skill and equipment customisation - you can replay quite a lot.

I went through 2 full replays during beta, and started a third (which I had to abandon due to time constraints on my side) , and did not get bored at all.

One example:
    For my first 2 plays, I used a lot of characters, and split them - quite conservatively - mostly between "tanks" and "damage dealers" , with some Healers thrown in for good measure.
    For the 3rd playthrough I decided to focus on characters that can Summon and invest in that skill, in no small part because your party size is quite limited on the highest difficulty (to 12 I believe).

2. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    A pleasure, as always - reading your in-depth explanations Niebau! Thanks! And yeah, if you can place all this information somewhere that would really help our understanding of this great game! :) good work!

3. Angmodurian

Angmodurian Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I really love this game but i find the price a bit steep. If it's $3.99 it will be great :) Any chance this game will be $3.99?

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    You're [expletive deleted] kidding me, right?
    It's only 4.50€ here, which is an absolute steal for what you get.
    Now, with a 20+ € pricetag we could talk again. But this is just ridiculous.

5. Angmodurian

Sep 1, 2014
    Null are you the developer or what. If you are, i am extremely disappointed with that attitude. This is not the tone to talk to prospective customer. I am only asking if there is any room for price reduction & i only asked for a $1 reduction (if i am asking for $2 or more, then probably u can say that i am (explicitly deleted) kidding. If you are not happy, just say no. I dont think i sounded offensive in my question.

Trust me i BUY lots of app & frequent here a lot. Found a lot of gems here so there must be a basis when i asked whether it can be $3.99 because other apps of great quality i play are in this range too. Actually i dont mind paying $4.99 for this but you really p*ssed me off right there with that tone. I am holding off my purchase..

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    No, I'm not the developer (that's niebau). Just a TA user like you.
    Sorry if I got a bit harsh on you, but seeing this kind of attitude everywhere on TA gets to me and sometimes I snap.
    From what you wrote back, I admit that your stance/request is MUCH more reasonable than the "1$? U insane? Me want for free!" attitude I encounter left and right. Seriously, with some folks I get the impression they want devs to pay *them* to download a game, not the other way around.

For clarification: I have a *very* different view on prices than many people I see on TA: 5$ is just a (small) step above bargain bin pricing for me. I wouldn't mind at all to pay 10+$ for something like Tactics Maiden.

Enough ranting, back to the subject at hand :)
    I wrote what I wrote, and apparently I misunderstood you.
    So again, sorry for that, Angmodurian.

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    No, nullzone is not the developer - that's niebau - but I'll chime in as well.

What you are saying is that his work, to develop this game so you can play it, is not worth 5$ of your money.

That is certainly fair if you feel it is not, it is your opinion after all, but if you put it in perspective, what you're really doing is the equivalent of getting face to face with the developer and saying "this game you put effort into developing for a year or more is great, but could you sell it on a bigger discount?".

Then think a bit about how insulting that would feel for your work if your boss told you a similar thing (I.e. Your work is fine, but it really isn't worth the wage I pay you) and ask the opposite: is that extra dollar going to radically change your life? If so, then definitely you shouldn't be thinking about whether to even buy these mobile games in the first place at the moment - and I do hope you can sort things out.

But if not, even though you were certainly friendly in your question, the root of it ends up really just insulting an individual who tries to do this for a fair living. Think about it. It's their livelihood we're talking about, out of something they put their lives into making.

For us, it's just a hobby :)

Cheers.

8. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    Easy guys. Nullzone has played a fundamental role in improving Tactics Maiden during the beta test, and I know him well enough by now to be sure his slightly overheated reaction was nothing personal.
    More a gesture of solidarity (which I very much appreciate), and being aware of the insane amount of work creating a game like Tactics Maiden means.

I've always been proud to attract a bright, well educated, and civilized audience with the Kingturn series. So after some steam has been let off and apologies have been made, I assume this is settled now. ;)

@Angmodurian:
    I fully understand your concern about the price, and $4.99 seems to be expensive compared to other games on the mobile market, admittedly.
    I will try my best to make the games more successful, so I can afford to offer a lower price in the future. Embarrassingly enough, right now I can't.
    I think, though, that it's a fair amount of value you'll get in return.

9. Angmodurian

Sep 1, 2014
    I am not in any way trying to put off his work though i cant deny that my wordings have some of that meaning. Btw this is truly no way insulting but just stating an opinion as a customer. If i am the developer, i am truly at the mercy of consumers perception of how much my product/service worth that is acceptable to them. If majority agrees to a specific price, i will have to comply so as not to lose them.

Probably we have been spoiled by the many great ios game developers out there. Its all back to the basic again of too many games off the store to let us choose. Either way i do want to support this developer because this is an excellent game :)

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    At $4.99 Tactics Maiden is one of the best values per dollar on App Store; it should be more expensive in my opinion.

11. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Worth every penny at $4.99

I can't believe people actually complain about a 1$ difference between actual price, and what they think it should cost. :confused:

12. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Bear with Angmodurian that his initial question was a relatively harmless one imho, and that he couldn't have expected to walk straight into a hornet's nest ;).

That being said, I feel very humbled to receive such awesome support.

13. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    So I don't usually buy ios games at full price, mostly because they usually end up on sale at some point. I took a chance on this after trying the free missions, and liked what I saw enough to buy it.

Now that I've spent about 8 hours with it, I just went ahead and bought the other three games in the series.

Well done dev, well done. Probably my favorite tbs game on ios other than FFT (which probably had about 9000x the budget).

14. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Until I've come up with a better solution, I will put together all questions and answers here:

----------------------------
    Tactics Maiden FAQ
    ----------------------------

15. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Welcome to the club! I actually squee every time a new game comes out. These games - all of them - never leave my idevices and I play them over and over. And Tactics Maiden is awesome!

16. gosenbach

gosenbach Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer (mechanical/electrical/software)
    Hi Niebau,
    Would it be possible to add a list of what all the Item special abilities are/do? i.e. Silencer, etc.

Also if you could list what all the status icons are? i.e. green skull = poison, etc.

Loving the game!

17. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    #57 Savant, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Yay! Many thanks! :) It's cool seeing the questions we asked (and got answered) got entered into an official FAQ! :)

On another side note - who did the game's icon art portrait (the one used as the game's icon)? In my opinion (and this is just mine ok, don't know if you think the same), it's better than the current "art style" of the portraits in-game. In-game, they all look like ghosts or something.. I don't know... It scares me looking at them. :p

18. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Done. I've also added additional information to the item and class abilities for further clarification.

Tactics Maiden FAQ

19. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #59 niebau, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Yeah, the portraits are a somewhat delicate topic.
    They have been done by a Kingturn fan and aspiring artist in training who has offered to do them for free to get more practice.
    I have decided to pay him instead, first of all because I didn't want to exploit him, and secondly in order to turn this into a professional project with (re-)iterations.
    He has also done the cover art which is really nice, I think.

On the plus side, the portraits are truly unique and stand out of the crowd. And some of them (for example the animals) show a lot of promise imho.

It can't be denied, though, that there's an obvious difference between a seasoned artist (e.g. the character sprites) and a novice one. And while my judgement of aesthetics has always been rather poor, even I could see that the portraits might turn out to be a problem.

So shortly before the release I had basically 2 alternatives:
    a) Redo all the portraits, postpone the project for 1 or 2 months, and slap an aspiring artist in the face
    b) Leave them as they are and accept negative feedback and reviews, risking 15 months of hard work

I'm still puzzled whether b) was the right decision, also whether I've really done him a favor.

20. gosenbach

gosenbach Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer (mechanical/electrical/software)
    Thanks Niebau!