Universal Tactics Maiden (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, I enjoyed the Kingturn games I played, so this was an easy decision to buy. Hopefully these developers continue to be able to make these nice srpg games for us. Wishing the devs lots of success with this game.

2. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I'm so glad to see you're back with more SRPG madness!

3. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Instabuy.

4. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Would turning on Friendly Fire screw up the Enemy Ai or make the game too hard? I just feel like I'm cheating if it's off but the AI might be programmed with this in the off...

5. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Excellent game! the first one in a while i can´t put down :)

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've primarily played with Friendly Fire turned on and it never seemed to distort the enemy AI. Go for it.

7. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    #27 niebau, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    No worries. The AI adapts accordingly if Friendly Fire is switched on.
    It's actually hard to tell whether the game becomes easier or more difficult this way.
    Since the enemy tries to avoid hurting its own units, AoEs will happen less frequently. But the player has the same problem, of course.

In general the AI behaves quite 'smart' in terms of AoE usage if Friendly Fire is switched on.
    For instance, an enemy healer will ignore player units standing in the healing zone, as long as they have full HP.
    If Friendly Fire is switched off, the AI simply ignores player units in general in such a case.

8. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Downloaded Tactics Maiden and having a ton of fun! Never played the Kingturn games, but I'm quite impressed with the polish of Tactics Maiden. Didn't even hesitate to unlock the full game when I finished the free levels. :)

9. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #29 niebau, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    Clarification Magic Ward

There seems to be a common misunderstanding about how protective skills like 'Magic Ward' work in Tactics Maiden.

For clarification...

Magic Ward description:

Buffs D-Mag of other units. D-Mag cannot exceed 20 max (Pow).
    +1: 25 max, longer range +2: 35 max +3: 45 max, larger AoE

So what does all of this mean?
    The attribute in brackets (Pow) determines the strength of the Magic Ward cast by the unit. The higher Pow of the casting unit, the higher the protection.
    However, the total amount of a unit's magical defense (D-Mag) is limited:

Stage 0 (0 skill points): D-Mag 20% max
    Stage 1 (+1 skill points): D-Mag 25% max
    Stage 2 (+2 skill points): D-Mag 35% max
    Stage 3 (+3 skill points): D-Mag 45% max

In other words: If a unit has a magic defense of 45% already, Magic Ward won't grant any additional protection.
    The purpose of this design is to avoid magic immunity if Magic Ward is cast several times on the same unit.

Anyway, to reduce the amount of player confusion and make the skill more valuable, we will increase the D-Mag limit in the next patch.
    E.g. 35 / 40 / 50 / 65 max instead of 20 / 25 / 35 / 45 max.

10. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Exactly the explanation I was looking for (how the AI would treat AOE skills with the Friendly Fire setting to on/off. Thanks niebau and undeadcow! :) Onwards!

11. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #31 niebau, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Patch 1.8.5

The first patch 1.8.5 is coming soon (once it has been approved by Apple).
    Let me know if you have noticed any other issues that are not covered yet:

Changes 1.8.5
    --------------

- Units with class ability 'Unstoppable' won't suffer from Mov debuffs caused by Web Haul or Web Snare any longer

- Fixed a bug that prevented Vance from countering attacks after rejoining the team

- Fixed a crash issue with switching to Stats in story-only scenarios (6,15,85)

- Fixed a glitch with rapidly healing the same unit several times

- General overhaul of skill Magic Ward

- Balancing: Raised defense values for Magic Ward, Bulwark and Barkskin

- Scene 145: Difficulty reduced

- Scene 28: Fixed: Irvine shared his starting position with an enemy on 'Rook' difficulty

Changes 1.8.4
    --------------

- Neutral (padlock) units won't use 'Escape Shot' any longer, thus they cannot disappear before joining the player's team.

- Neutral units regenerate hit points on top of neutral outposts and pillars now as well. Note that neutral units cannot conquer ally / enemy outposts or pillars, so they will stay clear from these locations.

- Wounded neutral (padlock) units avoid enemy contact more consequently now. They will also make use of neutral outposts or pillars within movement range to regenerate hit points.

- Balancing:
    * Stealth Master bonus lowered to 3%
    * Scene 143: Difficulty slightly lowered
    * Scene 144: More challenging for difficulty 'Rook' and 'Queen' now

12. Anteros

Anteros Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    #32 Anteros, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Need assistance/tips on scene 13 infiltration.

I can't figure out a viable strategy on this lvl.

Cat is lvl 9
    Merc is lvl 8

I've got duel legendary swords, life saver armor, movement boots. So I'm ready for battle..

When the guards get alerted I get overwhelmed fast... I got the injury ratio to 33% but they still maintain 6/10 vs my 3/3.

13. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #33 niebau, Sep 23, 2014
    Here are a few tips:

- In this scenario stealth is crucial, so I'd recommend that Catelyn has at least +2 in Hide, better even +3 (fully maxed). Additional HP or defense helps if things go wrong. Forget about Atk / damage in this case, imho

- Your safest bet is not to use Catelyn for attacks at all, but solemnly for sneaking and conquering outposts and pillars. Even if things go terribly wrong, you can still win the scenario as long as Catelyn is alive. Wasting her with a failed Ambush won't do you any good

- Watch the patrol routes and conquer outposts or pillars with Duncan or Catelyn if almost no enemies are close by

- Once you have conquered your first outpost, move out a high defense unit (e.g. Knight) to defend the outpost. Depending on the situation, you can consider sacrificing Duncan and replacing him with a unit better suited for outpost defense, e.g. a Paladin

- The outpost to the north is comparably easy to defend with two strong units. In the meantime your sneaky units should conquer the remaining pillars and outposts

- Don't try to outdamage your opponent. If you are stuck in a 3 vs 9 situation, you are doing it 'wrong'. Focus on conquering pillars with your sneaky units instead to even the odds.

- And last but not least: An elegant solution is to split up Catelyn and Duncan and sneak / conquer both enemy outposts at the same time. Requires good timing with the patrols, though.

14. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks for the in-depth explanation Niebau! Is there anywhere (on the game, or on your site) where you have the details of game concepts / rules? I'm a sucker for game rulesets and when playing games love to read about and know the ins and outs of a game's rules and inner workings. :)

15. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I.e. Some questions:
    * Do units level up when they are brought into battle? Or when they kill other units?
    * Do they still gain experience in the battle by just being on your roster (i.e. would it make sense to hire mercs quickly to take advantage of this experience, or only hire when you feel you need them for a mission)?
    * How much HP does a unit gain when on a base (tent) again? Is it a fixed % of their HP? Do they gain defensive bonuses when on a base as well?
    * Is the Evade % value stated on the character stat sheet?
    * When checking last night, it seems that stat debuffs (i.e. the Rend Armor skill) only last for the 1 turn that they were caused and then the next turn the stats return back to normal? Is this intended? It feels a bit useless since the stats return after a turn...

Again - thanks for your quick replies and usual amount of support! This game is fighting for my playing time with Baldur's Gate 1 (still haven't finished it after all these years haha) and that's saying a lot! :)

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Niebau might be able to clarify better than I could...
    Experience points are earned for each turn in play regardless of if there is a kill; as long as that unit is on the field (not in barracks).
    Units only gain experience while in play. If I recall correctly mercs + unlockable NPCs gain levels while not in your squad keeping with your team average (so you don't end up stuck with tons of level 1 mercenaries). I wonder if it'd be an exploit to keep inactive units in the mercenary pool to soak up level growth.
    There is a chance your character can dodge an enemy attack (visa versa too) and evade % is the likelihood the enemy will miss when attacking that unit.
    The stat debuffs are short lived; but I've found them very powerful at decimating higher hit point enemies if you coordinate your attacks. The debuffs cleave off a good bit of defense points so I'd be concerns they would seem over powered if not short lived.

Not sure about unit recovery rate in barracks.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX

Touch Arcade forums' Game of the Week Nominee
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tactics Maiden was successfully nominated for Touch Arcade forum's Game of the Week poll. Voting will occur over the next three days here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=242947

Developers may not vote for their own game. Participants may not create a new account just to vote

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Got my vote, of course ;)

19. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #39 niebau, Sep 23, 2014
    The main info source right now is the in-game Tutorial and the 'Tip of the Day' section on the main menu which I keep updating (tap on the info box to cycle through all tips). But looking at your good questions, this might indeed not be enough. I'll think about something.

* XP are granted for any kind of activity on the battlefield like attacking or skill usage. Even counter attacks add a (tiny) amount of XP gain.

* Just standing or moving on the battlefield doesn't yield XP

* There are a few 'selfish skills' which grant no XP in general, though, like 'Hide', 'Defend' or 'Pray'. This is done in order to avoid XP exploits and XP advantages for the corresponding units.

* Unlike Kingturn, there is no XP bonus for killing a unit

* The amount of XP granted for an action solemnly depends on the difference between a unit's level and the average scenario level (= the spawn level of enemies). Lower unit level results in higher XP gain. Counter attacks are the only exception with a generally reduced XP gain, otherwise all activities are treated equally XP-wise.

Unhired mercenaries will level up over time, while hired units which you temporarily release won't level up automatically. While this design decision is debatable for sure, it is done to prevent exploits. In this regard you might be better off with only hiring mercenaries which you intend to use.

HP recovery on outposts and pillars is based on 25% of a unit's max HP. There's no defense bonus, but that's an interesting idea.

TM has no evade or hit / miss mechanics, mainly because I didn't want to undermine the strategic focus of the game with too many random based elements. The class ability 'Evade Counter' is the only exception with a fixed chance of 80%.
    This concept makes a class ability like 'Life Saver' so much fun, imho, because it intentionally and exceptionally breaks the 'anti-random' pattern.

About hit / miss mechanics (copied from the beta test chat):
    I've always had mixed feelings about hit and miss game mechanics. Personally I think they are better suited for short and intensive battles where you:

a) Can quickly reload a game save if you had really bad luck
    b) Where you can turn the tides of a battle against stronger units with luck (many misses for them, mostly hits for you)

I'm not sure whether this would be a good idea for TM, though.
    At least I found it rather annoying in [removed game title name ;)] if you came up with a nice strategy and missed 4 times in a row despite a hit chance of 80%.

There are ways to avoid these streaks of bad luck, e.g. by not allowing pure randomness but monitoring previous 'dice throws' and manipulating them instead if need be. But still...I don't know.

20. Angmodurian

Angmodurian Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    How is the replayability of this game? If there is an endless mode with random map generation will be nice :)