Universal Tactics Maiden (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    #181 niebau, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    I'm glad to hear that, Phaidron, and I'd appreciate if more games supported such a free-to-try-premium-model as well.

It's almost ironic that a seemingly fair model like this gets punished with plenty of 1-star ratings ('game not free', 'intentionally misleading'), especially on Google Play where in-app purchases are not disclosed on the store.

I guess we will keep seeing standard freemium / virtual currency models for a long time, where players genuinely interested in a game have to pay the (high) bill for those who are not. With better average ratings and earnings for developers.

Quite a shame, isn't it? Or am I just too old (fashioned) to see the true beauty of nowadays freemium models from a player-perspective?

2. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Tactics Maiden

Throwing our small hat in the ring...

Tactics Maiden is on Steam Greenlight now ready for votes.

3. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    You can count with my vote. This game is a GOTY contender to me.

4. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    voted on steam!

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just noticed the Steam greenlight page and voted; fingers crossed.

6. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #186 niebau, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks a lot for your ongoing cross-platform support, undeadcow :).
    Thanks to all the other toucharcade supporters as well, of course.

Here are the current Steam Greenlight stats after 3 weeks:
    11% of the way to the top 100 unique visitors
    2,425 unique visitors

1,647 votes
    520 'Yes' votes (32% total)
    1,073 'No' votes (65% of total)
    54 'Undecided' (3% of total)

During the first few days Tactics Maiden had a really good exposure, being listed on the first page of the 'new greenlight games'.
    Since 7 days the numbers didn't change by much.

It seems that many steam users grow weary of mobile game ports and subpar graphics, and I can't really blame them.
    Well, another lesson learned for me ;).

7. Nyambe

Nyambe Active Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Will there be a patch 2.0?

8. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Absolutely. You can expect additional content in the future, although it will take a little bit longer than I've initially thought.

It's basically a question of priorities at the moment.
    Tactics Maiden is currently in a good state imho, with plenty of content to offer already and no serious bugs I would know of.

The Kingturn series, on the other hand, is somewhat lacking behind in terms of quality compared to Tactics Maiden now.
    This will change very soon, though, with a massive patch being on the way for the whole Kingturn series.

I will go into more details in the Kingturn thread within the next days, but I can tell you this already:
    The core concept of Kingturn remains untouched (e.g. game rules or 'portrait mode'), so I'm not trying to turn Kingturn into Tactics Maiden 2.
    Both Tactics Maiden and Kingturn feel and play somewhat different, which is a good thing, imho.

9. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just played a bit of Kingturn Underworld for the first time since trying out the original Kingturn shorty after it came out, and I found myself wondering why I didn't dive face first into them way back then.

That has been rectified; I just bought unlocks for all three of the Kingturn trilogy, and Tactics Maiden as well. I should be set for a very long time.

I hope that when you return to making (s)rpgs, you will considering a sci-if setting. Whatever you do, I'll be happy to continue to support you.

10. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Mangobile interviewed by My Boxed Universe

I had the great pleasure of being interviewed by Ben Warren from My Boxed Universe.
    You can find the whole interview here.

My Boxed Universe is mainly focused on teaching video game history as a serious subject, and after having read plenty of the thoughtfully written articles by now, I’m sure that most Kingturn and Tactics Maiden fans will enjoy them as much as I did.

11. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    @Nyanpass

This is the latest for Mangobile, it is very similar to the Kingturn series with a few modern enhancements, like landscape mode and better touchscreen controls. I remember when I first discovered Kingturn, the future of iOS gaming was still exciting (for me) and I played all three one after the other. Great memories.

12. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Thank you for letting me know. I will try it also. :p
    Apparently, it feels like the game has been enhanced. :)

Of the iOS games with too few SRPGs, this looks pretty good.
    Recently there was no user comment on these games, so I had a tendency to overlook them.
    But I am glad to know now. :D

13. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Hi guys! It's great to see there are still people interested in the games. Your post also reminded the non-nerd part of me that I shouldn't forget to communicate a few things now and then ;). So thanks to you, nyanpass and Son of Anarchy, we all now benefit from an updated website and a new teaser video.:)

I've been working for quite some time now on the PC version of Tactics Maiden with plenty of enhancements like new unit graphics with improved animations, features like damage preview, scum loading (= undo turn), rare items in shops, many more sound tracks, shadow and light effects, higher replayability due to more variations within scenarios and so on.

You can have a glimpse already here:

Cheers,
    niebau

14. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Wow! It is really good news. :D

I have become a fan of your game. ;)

When I wanted to hear the developer's story, it's a magical day that it actually happens! :p

I wish you and your game to be good. :)

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @niebau: Welcome back! Nice to see you're still around ;)

16. RandomizedKirbyTree47

Sep 2, 2017
    #196 RandomizedKirbyTree47, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Sweet! I will await the desktop version with great anticipation! I'll probably buy it as soon as the Linux version is available.

17. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    With the expectation of PC version, I decided to do this first. :D

And this is still great now. It is not an old school, it is a masterpiece. :)