iPad Tactical Warrior (by James Pawliuk)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ravenblack, Apr 26, 2011.

1. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Indeed. Probably the most underrated game ever. :)

2. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    +++++++++++ 1

doesanyone know how many acts?

3. Jamvert

Jamvert Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    The update is coming along fairly well. It has taken a bit longer because I ended up going on a vacation for a week but I think I might be able to have it sent to apple by the end of this week.

The update has skirmishes vs the AI, openFeint and manual placement of units among other things. It might have the addition of skill reset shops depending how long it takes me to finish the other things.

The update also adds a message warning you when finishing a battle will move you to the next act. I realize that was a bit of a problem, especially since you only had to beat two of the three battles in the last area to move on.

The game has 3 acts. There are always less keys than enough to open all the gates though. This is partly so that if you play through the game a second time there are still new areas and new battles to try.

4. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    GREAT NEWS:)

what about the ability to choose which pair to start with instead of the predefined groups?
    Will the multiplayer vs AI be only in battle mood or an option to battle normally or vs waves??
    a minor tweak..make the screen able to rotate in opposite landscape !

i know it will not be implemented in the next update..but multiplayer over gamecenter any time in future updates!

and finally thanks on awesoooome game..on my top 5 since released

5. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    hey, since gamecenter is adding this as part of it for free, would you think about adding async multiplayer?

6. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Rocketeer or Gladiator!?!?! decisions decisions.

7. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    When did they appear?

8. rekirtS

Apr 25, 2011
    End of act 2 :D. Hope I didn't spoil anything you didn't want spoiled :).

9. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    #89 Rivozzz, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Urgent i have to choose between healer and alchemist... The alchemist has 2 skills i dont understand: amnesia portion ( active) and noxious fumes( passive) what are these 2 skills before i choose him!
    By the way i discovered a very imp thing. If a new skill appear at level zero and u didnit like it and not choose it.it wont be added . And if u gain a level a different new skill will appear instead of it at level zero ..so if u dont like a skill...you can wait till it comes
    Another thing..why i am limited to i think 6 warriors????? If u want a 7th u have to discard one!! And added to that it doesnt acquire its level..i can exchange a alchemist level 10 for a healer level 4 or 6 ??!!

10. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    Last thing...can we have a booklet with explantion of all skills??

11. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I would just like to say that this game has an epic, cinematic soundtrack. Truly awesome.

That is all. As you were.

12. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Great game - tried the light version, and it's quite fun - very similar to Fatal League, but I like this one much better. Might just have to buy this.
    If it sells well, maybe the dev can even get new artwork :)

13. rekirtS

Apr 25, 2011
    The maximum amount of warriors increases as you increase in acts.

I personally like 1 healer on my team, though his healing potion scaling sucks.

The artwork does grow on you, I really, really like it.

14. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    The artwork is nice in an old school way. But I would bet it would sell a lot more with shiny graphics.

15. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I agree. The screen shots do not do this game justice and I'm willing to bet that many people have passed it up (without even bothering to download the lite version) because they have taken one look at the screen shots and decided that it doesn't look like much.

I appreciate that the graphics give it character, but an update would do wonders. I'm not talking about battery-killing 3D sprites and all that jazz, just something a bit less basic. I know it will probably never happen, though, because a major overhaul of the graphics is not exactly a small job.

In any case, this is a good game and I don't dislike the graphics. I just think it would do better than it is now if they were spruced up.

16. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    From the causes i like is simple unique graphics and animations..:):)

17. Jamvert

Jamvert Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    I probably won't add the ability to choose individual warriors instead of pairs. Partly because I kind of like the pairs and partly because I would have to make a whole new interface for choosing the individual warriors. I do plan to make more starting parties in a future patch though.

The skirmishes against the AI are just are regular battles. No waves right now :(

Well, it is possible, but it would be a fairly large undertaking since I didn't have the foresight to code it in a way that would make adding multiplayer between devices easy. If I manage to turn its sales around and get it selling decently I might add that.

Amnesia potion does decent damage to an area and disables attacks like the monk's disrupting palm. It also has one more range than an alchemist's other potion attacks.

Noxious fumes has the same effect as a ring of abrasion, damaging adjacent enemies at the start of each turn.

I think you guys are right. If I was smart, I think I would have saved up a bit more cash before starting the project and then contracted someone professional for at least the more important parts the graphics. I think it suffers a lot from sub-par graphics/screenshots turning people off.

On the plus side, however, the update does have a few small upgrades to the graphics.

1.0.0:
    [​IMG]

1.1.0:
    [​IMG]

I do half wonder if it might not be worth hiring someone do better images for the warriors and the terrain you fight on though.

18. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    Who said that rpg should have very high quality and hd graphics??? Its about tactics and decent graphics... In my opinion its great and simple graphics which does and fits its job right!

19. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Jamvert, I've loved the art style of this and Staunch Defense, so no complaints from me! I don't think I would like it any other way but that's me.

Graphics is something that is subjective. Of course, it seems a lot of gamers do base their decision to get into a game or not base on what they see from the screens. It might be animation -- the sprites in your games are not very animated. Gamers love to see their game pieces in action -- the barbarian actually spins around in a whirlwind attack, the archer actually pulls his bowstring back to fire an arrow, etc.

You might have to consider such improvements if you want draw more attention to your game and increase general appeal.

20. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    i would recommend to change the name to Tactical Rpg ..it will get a lot of eyes for sure for all people searching for some fantastic rpg on ios devices !