iPad Tactical Warrior (by James Pawliuk)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ravenblack, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Jamvert

Jamvert Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for requesting reviews on Appspy guys!

Sorry about not getting an update together a bit faster. The first update is just going to be small because I realized I screwed up the Lite version's link to get the full version in the app store(it takes you to a 404 or something) which means I have to finish the update quickly. I am hoping to send it in on Monday or Tuesday.

Here is what it will probably have:
    - 9 New Items
    - Barbarian's pants change color depending on their team (so it is easier to see what side they are on)
    - Possibly a slight reduction to Act 1 difficulty
    - Possibly a few more items early on (though I haven't figured out how to do this without adding more battles or a new game mechanic yet)
    - Possibly being able to replay maps but with no exp/item

I will probably do your #6 in the second patch Rivozzz. It would definitely be an improvement and wouldn't be that much work. I am not yet sure if I should make the new starting parties available right away or if they should be gradually unlocked, though. Personally I wouldn't mind being able to start with a gladiator.

2. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    How does this compare to battle for wesnoth ?

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

It doesn't. Tactical Warrior is a lot closer to Final Fantasy Tactics than Wesnoth.

TW & FFT: persistent units, equipment, skills

Wesnoth: bases, spawn units, resources, permanent loss of units

4. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    ^

Right , I think I missed the first part
    and only saw the latter
    lol . Thanks :) I'll give the lite version a try .

5. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Different styles, really. This one is really team based with rpg elements while you span units in wesnoth. I recommend this one, and both are still fun. I wouldnt put them in the same category, except for a really liberal tbs category. I recommend the game though, get it if you want some good tbsness.

6. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #46 ojtitus, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    Honestly the only reason I want to replay levels is to upgrade my character, so if you don't gain exp or items then it really does sound to like there would be a reason to replay levels. I understand you want the game to be difficult but if people want to make it easier or just make their characters ungodly powerful by grinding their characters then I think you should allow them to.

Half the reason I enjoyed game like Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Tactics, and Disgaea is because I could sink a lot of time into replaying levels for extra loot and having fun with my leveled up units. Sorry to go on a rant but I would play this game a lot more if I could replay levels and gain extra exp/items. Great game but feels limited by the fact you can only play missions once.

7. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    Well, in that case, I suppose I won't add replaying with not exp/items. Though, as it is, you can still replay act 3 maps once you have finished the game.

It is possible in the future I will add in replaying levels somehow. One problem is that the xp values don't go up very steeply right now so even when you are much too strong for an area you still level up at a pretty decent rate(provided you haven't reached the level cap for the act). Of course, I could always make previously beaten battles only give 25% exp or something.

Having repayable battles would change the game a lot. I worry that it might make it so that strategy is somewhat eclipsed by the number of battles you have played. Perhaps I could make it an option you could turn on at the start of a campaign or something that is available only on certain difficulties.

8. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    that actually sounds like a really good idea.

9. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    If I add it, I will probably make it something you choose to turn on or off at the start of a campaign in case some people prefer more challenging no replay version.

I think I am going to delay the current update a bit. One of the people from openFeint contacted me about adding openFeint and it sounded pretty decent. It might also help me to get a little more exposure for Tactical Warrior.

10. webdaffy

webdaffy Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Gosh, i hate openFeint.
    This is always a break of game flow & design when switching to their overloaded UI
    hope you still keep GC in addition and don't use this ugly OF sign for the app icon

11. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    I will keep GC in as well. If possible I plan to just have openfeint work the same way as GC does right now where there is a button on the title page you can press to turn it on, otherwise it stays off and doesn't bother you.

I might add openFeint to the iTunes icon. I am not sure. I will see what people recommend. I won't add it to the icon you see on your phone/pod though.

12. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    NOOOO Don't add it!!!! Openfeint icons are garbage.

13. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    I didn't realize the openFeint logo was so unpopular. It looks like very few of the top 200 games right now use it, so I guess I won't add it.

14. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #54 Rivozzz, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    Is the multiplayer ( fast mood) hard to implement ?? I mean...its already there..i want sometimes to just play a fast game not related to campaign.. I mean under the title multiplayer where u play aganist a local person and choose items characters and maps why just u add an option to play against A.I?????!

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad to hear that replaying levels is being given some thought. :)

16. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    It wouldn't be too hard to implement a skirmish mode versus the AI similar to the multiplayer mode. Though it depends a lot on how many options there are and how well it is done.

I will probably add it this update or next. I could perhapps change "multiplayer" to "skirmish" and then have a choice for player 2 to be either human, easy AI, medium AI, or hard AI. Unfortunately, when it comes to choosing the units/items it would be very hard to have the computer be smart about it without a lot of work.

In other news, in the new update barbarians will look like this:
    [​IMG]

17. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #57 Rivozzz, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
    ....first the new design is great...good work!
    ...second in skirmish mood to adjust the AI ..here are suggestions
    1)u can make simply at a higher level than mine for example i level 10 and AI be level i dont know 11 or 12
    2)you can make the choice of units of AI is random..
    3)or u can do it complementary..i mean if i choose ranged he chooses ranged and so on..
    4) u can add add an option do u want the opposing AI come in waves or just a fixed number as you so if he is the same level as me i will lose at the end because of non stopping waves
    ...third any thoughts about the replaying of maps?? i mean i need some little grinding and stuck in middle of game....make replay maps gets little experiance...so that in order to grind and maximize your character it take a long grind maybe like most RPG which will also increase lenght of arcade mood and if u did any error in distributing experiance or items or points...u will correct your self the hard way..by grinding
    ...4th ..hoping appspy review it soon i made 3 of whom i know request a review

18. Jamvert

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah, I will probably do something simple like give the AI higher or lower levels to account for difficulty. Right now in the campaign the main difference if you play on hard is that the AI gets +30% health to all their units, so the AI might get something like that on skirmish.

I might do random for the AI's unit selection in skirmish. It would be the easiest. Alternatively, I might have the AI just always try to make a well rounded team. For example, if his first pick is a melee unit, then on his second pick he will give higher priority to medium or long ranged units. For items, it will definitely just have to be random.

Waves is a possibility for the future but it is much more work than just having basic skirmishes with the AI, so it will have to wait.

Replaying battles will probably get added at some point. I will probably make it so that you can choose between it and "classic" mode at the start of a campaign and it will have slightly harder battles to test your more powerful team. I have more or less worked out how the exp/items will work in it. I am just a bit torn on whether having two different game modes is good or not.

19. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    more modes are always better

20. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Hm...I might pick this up...
    Is universal support or a seperate iPad app coming?
    I'll wait if it is.