Universal Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising (by Full Control ApS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Just finished the second level and am having a great time. Like others have stated, the storyline makes the game much better than hunters. It's real late here so I must go to bed now, but I'll be waiting to log some more time on this one!! :D

Btw how many levels are there?

2. stich

stich Member

Jan 16, 2011
    so, it's gonna be good game to waste my time?!? ;p

3. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    Happy you guys like it so far! Keep feedback coming!

@MetaGonzo - you can take a look at the glow around the doors. They hint if a given door is locked (red glow) or openable (green)

/Thomas

4. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Yep, thanks Thomas; I got there in the end. :)

Now I've put a bit more time in I am hoping it ramps up a bit. So far it is very attack-attack, the early room defense was mind-numbing. I'm hoping for some situations that need some real tactics (and knowing my luck I'll get my arse kicked round the next corner :D ).

5. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Keep us posted MG, sounds like your reviews are very fair :) The game sounds good, but like you I'm a little worried that it's less Tactical Soldier, and more Gung-Ho Soldier!

I guess this is perhaps the problem with going with zombies as an enemy - they're only ever going to be rushing towards you, and you're only ever going to be facing a relentless wave of oncoming baddies. It sounds as though it's almost just a choice of which zombie to shoot first, rather than prioritising different enemy weaponry first, or strategy based on the features of the environment, taking cover, LoS etc.

6. lord timmie9

lord timmie9 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    this game i spretty good i just cleared stage 1 and you really need some tactical insight on how to spend you action points and the closer you get to the enemy the higher the hit chance

7. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I think the biggest problem I have with it is that I'm in 2 tile wide corridors with the occasional room; the engine seems geared towards this sort of environment. I'd like to think that the later stages are different but the screens in the app store seem similar. Perhaps Thomas could hint as to what's in store in this respect.

The thing is, I'm not sure if there are many tactical options in this situation. The zombies queue up, we shoot them. It's still early days though, I certainly intend to see it through. I just hope that some more open areas present themselves as the game has real potential.

Hunters has been mentioned, of course. Now, it's in no way perfect but the scale of the environments and the AI (not zombies in Hunters, I know. zombies are stupid :D ) to my mind give a deeper strategical experience. I wonder if using a 2d engine would have been more appropriate; hordes of zombies attacking from various fronts rather than a few from one or two.

Of course, these remain early impressions. Believe me when I say I really want to like this game. It's that sort of game. :)

8. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    Well - I would really not want to spoil story or come over as a dev trying to shove something down your troat!

So I would much rather that you tell me :-D

But there will be....surprises and lots of tactical gameplay that isnt just mowing down waves of zombies. E.g. there are several boss fights coming your way and zombies with ranged AOE damage etc.

Imho after level 2 it starts to pick up and it gets insanely hard at the end of campaign 1.

At the same time - the game is a zombie game. So we would have done a bad job if there wasnt lots of dumb zombies too that you can splat against the wall.

/Thomas

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think you are giving the developers way too little credit. As anyone who has played Left4Dead knows, in the early going you don't have to think too much to beat the zombie horde, but as new types and new situations are introduced, you have to approach things more tactically or you'll get creamed. I would take X-Com (or Hunters) out of your head when playing this game: the fact that it's zombies changes the dynamics and makes it into a different kind of experience. Considering how well though out the rest of the game is, I would be very suprised if the developers have not managed to make things interesting as you go past the first couple of levels.

10. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) Keep the feedback coming!

11. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    If i can ask, is there any Ipad2 support planned? I mean something like Antialiasing, high detailed textures or any other cool graphic effects. While its not really needed (for me), but certainly its welcome to use Ipad2 capabilities.

12. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, squarezero. I'm voicing a concern based on early impressions (as requested), not stating facts.
    No one would be happier than I if I was proved wrong (there's something you don't see everyday :D ).

Perhaps I can rephrase; given the format seen thus far I have trouble imagining where real tactical depth can come from. However, I hope that the devs have more imagination than I and that the rest of the game will really tax the little grey cells. Thomas hinting that this is the case makes for a happy 'Gonzo. :)

As I said; I really want this game to be great.

13. Themartinclan

Themartinclan Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Question

Fun game reminds me of xcom or jagged alliance.

Question. How does overwatch work. Even with full ap and a loaded gun, if I crouch and face the direction of some zombies, my character will not shoot them on the zombies turn. :confused:

14. Thomas Lund

Nov 17, 2008
    Sweden
    If an enemy takes an action (move, attack, etc) within overwatch direction and range of the gun you have equipped, then a shot will be taken. It will continue doing so once for each enemy action until
    1) you are out of ammo
    2) all AP is used up
    3) turn ends

You should see the range of the overwatch when selecting it. Pistol doesnt have a long range - sniper rifle almost from one end to the other. So thats my best guess on why it doesnt shoot.

/Thomas

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, there's a simpler explanation: make sure to double tap on the direction you want to overwatch. If you just tap once and pass your turn it doesn't actually engage. The tutorial covers this, but I also got it wrong the first time I tried. Perhaps the overwatched state should be identifies a bit more clearly.

I managed to put another 1/2 hour into the game this morning. I think what X-Com and Jagged Alliance fans are going to find confusing about this game is that it's a tactics/survival horror hybrid (in the same way that FFT is a tactics/RPG hybrid) -- think Resident Evil Tactics. The "thinking" in the game seems to come more from managing limited resources while dealing with an unrelenting enemy than the more chess-like quality of traditional squad combat titles. Personally, I'm in gamer heaven, but I can see how other gamers would find the tactical aspect shallow.

16. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Looks very interesting; everything about this game looks great to me. Are there any plans for a lite version?

17. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    I gotta ask since I haven't seen it yet. This is out and over the weekend Great Little War Game came out. Now noone has compared the 2 yet. I keep seeing Hunters references instead. Can anyone comment on what they think of GLWG compared to this? I am not really a Hunters fan but like GLWG and my interest is piqued by this as well.

18. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Game Impressions

Itouch 4 Impressions.

Pro's:
    -Animations and sound effects are great.
    -Story and game mechanics are decent.

Con's:
    -Spend most of my time struggling with the camera angles. Often miss doorways because its too hard to tell if its a wall or an actual doorway.
    -Animation lag has me repeatedly doubletapping to make an action actually set itself.
    -No way to get back to the main menu (that I can find).
    -When traversing levels with no enemies, moving the entire team seems like a mundane exercise in patience (move each guy, end turn, move each guy again, end turn, rinse / repeat add nauseum.

Overall I do find it fun, but I have to be in the mood for some issues though.

19. Themartinclan

Themartinclan Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Spot on, thank you!

20. blikstad

blikstad Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Freelance artist and game developer.
    Uppsala, Sweden
    No plans for a lite version at the moment, no.