Universal Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising (by Full Control ApS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking forward to the game; but the icon could have been better.
    Will campaign 2 be free or in-app purchase?

2. blikstad

blikstad Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Freelance artist and game developer.
    Uppsala, Sweden
    We're not really ready to talk (too much) about future content yet. We're still trying to sort out the madness of releasing a game, and I suspect tomorrow will be time for a bit of rest. :)

I can say as much as the writing for campaign 2 specifies about 5-6 new levels, several new enemies and several new weapons (and as said, a few more pieces to the story)... That is; a fair share of new content, so it's most likely not going to be free.

3. blikstad

Nov 15, 2008
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Aaaannd, it's LIVE!
    Go get it! :D

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    It is up everywhere now.

5. emaddox

emaddox Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Male
    Downloading now!

6. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Excellent DL now this is a great day for me!!!!!!!!

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Managed to pull away from FF3 long enough to do the tutorial and get going with the first mission. So far it feels very polished, with full camera control, good frame-rate, nicely done 3d graphics (including lighting effects) and music, and a clear and well designed UI. The game is definitely story driven, using comic-book style cut scenes and a mission structure that follows a narrative sequence. One thing I'm liking a lot is that when there are no enemies on the map it handles end-turns automatically, which really helps to keep the flow of the game going.

I can't give it a full recommendation until I play the game a bit longer, but so far I'm am very pleased.

8. blikstad

Nov 15, 2008
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Glad you like it so far!

It only gets better from there... :)
    The first level is a bit "slow" quite honestly. The idea was to let people get used to the controls etc, but it probably ended up a tiny bit too slow with a tiny bit too much empty walking around.

As said, it'll only get better.

9. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Is there some kind of skirmish or random battle mode? I really like games where I can play more than just the campaign.

10. blikstad

Nov 15, 2008
    Uppsala, Sweden
    There isn't at the moment, no.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I don't mind a slower start, frankly -- it makes sense in the context of the story, and, as you said, gives you time to get used to the controls.

12. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Well, my very early impressions are certainly positive but I'm stuck already!

I don't want to give too much away (despite the fact it's very early on) but: room 1 in base, I have no key so no way out!
    If I'm missing something obvious (which frankly, seems likely :) ) perhaps a dev would be kind enough to pm me to avoid spoiling it for others.

That aside, it's very polished and I look forward to some more complex encounters if I ever get out of this bloody room! :D

One gripe I do have is regarding the responsiveness of tile selection. I know the interface has a lot to deal with (zooming, rotating, being 3d-ing) but it almost always takes several taps for it to recognise which tile I'm intending to press; sometimes even requiring me to change the view (rotation or pitch) despite the fact that the intended tile is clearly visible. Not a game breaker by any means, just a bit frustrating.

Apart from that, the little I've seen looks great.

13. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Keep the reviews coming... Keen to hear what you guys think of the game...

14. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm on vacation in costa rica, but i've finally found some decent Internet (tho still pretty slow by my usual standards). Gonna camp out here for awhile to download this, cause I've been waiting for awhile for this to drop! Hope your app does great! I'll post back some impressions when I get a chance
    :)

15. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #35 steviebwoy, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Does that mean that it might be coming? [random levels and skirmish mode]

16. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    #36 MetaGonzo, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Just wanted to chime back in with a couple of things:

1.) I don't know how I missed it but I have found my way out of the room. I swear I tried the door I got through but it is pretty early. Sleepy brain!

2.) With regards the responsiveness issue I described; I'm trying out moving the camera so it's top down. So far, so good although it doesn't look as nice.

Game on.

Edit: Also, after reloading your gun, it defaults to movement mode. Seems like an odd design decision seeing as you're likely to want to fire your gun immediately after reloading.

17. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Does it by any chance play like helsing's fire ? it sure looks like it though .

18. Atischery

Atischery Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    This is unique. I guess there's much depth of gameplay and replay value. I'll check how interesting it is.

19. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    It's nothing like Helsing's Fire really. It's fairly simple, close quarters TBS. It's not breaking new ground but I'm having fun so far.

20. Atischery

Atischery Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    It can't be just attack-attack simple gameplay, or we wouldn't have thought highly of it soo much.