iPad Table Tennis Star

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by salsamd, Jan 5, 2009.

1. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #1 salsamd, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
    Table Tennis Star App Store link

$1.99
    • choose from 12 characters, amongst best players in Europe, China, and USA
    • 3 Gameplay modes: Quick Start, Challenge, Turbo

Cf iPingPong 3D $0.99 (forum)

[hqyoutube]4kgoHHfL18w[/hqyoutube]

Attached Files:

2. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

too bad it's not available for iTouch 1g. :(

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    After reading a PocketGamer review of what it looks like the same game, but for another device, I've decided to purchased it. Here's my first impression:

FEATURES
    - Options: Skill Level (Normal and Turbo) and language
    - Basic shot: just move the bat
    - Serving: select a position and press Serve button but you can tweak it e.g. adding spin or stepping back a little
    - Direction and spin: can be done with a finger movement after the ball touches your bat (game Help explains all shot types including Smash)
    - Quick Match: just 2 players are available from the beginning so you have to unlock the others probably in Challenge mode
    - As far as I could notice no tilting, just tapping

PROS
    - Nice and smooth graphics
    - Nice sounds including subtle background ones while you're playing
    - Replay (nice touch)
    - Well balanced: Normal skill level is a nice start (sometimes I have a feeling that the CPU helps me a bit, but just a little and in a good way); Turbo requires more practice because things get faster and spin plus speed seem more frequent (I could not feel any CPU help, I just miss it here :D )
    - You can continue a Challenge later

CONS
    - No statistics for Quick Play mode
    - No career mode (it would be awesome here!)

CONCLUSION

The game feels and plays right. It's well balanced in Normal mode. It's fun to play (yes sometimes I just laugh). It has a nice production and it looks like an iPhone game rather than just a poor port. For the price it's a 5/5 game. Recommended.

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    "Since we're here to criticise, we'll point out that the relative paucity of game modes and the lack of wireless multiplayer is a niggle. The virtual competition is charismatic and wily enough that confinement to single-player is no hardship, but the sheer excellence of the gameplay makes the omission of multiplayer too irksome to ignore."

Pity that since it has been around as a cell phone game since Nov 2007 they would not have integrated WIFi multiplayer by now.

5. Broward

Broward Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    #5 Broward, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    I bought it before I saw the other $.99 game, and I really like it. The controls are really good, although it seems to help you by sometimes moving your bat closer to where you need to be to hit a shot. You start off with two characters unlocked, and have to play challenge mode to unlock more. I would also liked to have seen some statistical tracking, and maybe multiplayer. All in all, it plays great, and I can see myself losing lots of time to it. That being said, I did notice iPingPong 3d, which is cheaper, and has the developer here on the forums soliciting advice. This game was published by THQ, so I doubt we will see any devs interacting here.

6. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    awww, i bought ipingpong3d a while ago and this looks so much better :(
    oh wel ill probably end up getting this aswell anyway :D

7. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I'd been debating whether to go for the other ping-pong 3D game, but the negative reviews put me off a bit. However, if the developer is checking in here and soliciting opinions, future updates could make that better

So far, for $1.99, this Table Tennis Star game seems fun and well-polished, but it could do with a few more options perhaps, like a career mode or multiplayer. Plays nicely though with the spin options, but you have to be pretty subtle with your finger movements or you'll block your view!

8. Broward

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    Well, I have encountered an interesting problem. My iphone/iTunes no longer recognizes that I purchased this game. The icon is still on my phone, but whenever I launch it, it crashes after the splash screen. Has any one experienced this? I really like this game, but I am against buying it twice on principle. Hell, the app even has my review still on it! App store bug perhaps?

9. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    It is still in your itunes library. Have you tried deleting it from your phone and re-installing? itunes should always recognize that you purchased it even if you delete it from the itunes library.

10. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Same here. :confused:

But it's working again after deleting and reinstalling it via iTunes.

11. Broward

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    Thanks guys, I deleted it and redownloaded, and am syncing now. It is frustrating, as I assume all the unlocked players will have to be earned again. I hope this isn't a gamebreaking bug! The support site isn't up for the game yet either, so I don't even know how to report this issue. Well, this is what updates are for. :rolleyes:

12. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Perhaps you can at least modify your iTunes
    review to this effect.

13. Broward

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    I didn't know you could edit them after the fact. If I experience the problem again, I will definitely add a disclaimer to my review.

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

You need not change your star rating. It is nonetheless, worthwhile to mention this bug in your written review to bring it to the attention of the developers and other customers.

15. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that is what beta testing is for. ;)
    Though to be fair, this could be tough to test for.

16. fiskadoro

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Damn... Same thing happened here. I was having a perfectly happy time playing this game yesterday afternoon, but after reading this I went to launch the app and got the same problem. Program crash, even after restarting. A reinstall fixed it, but I'm sure it'll probably happen again. Talk about a fatal bug, I hope the developers read their emails!

17. Broward

Dec 28, 2008
    Jax, Florida
    I think it happens the first time you try to play after having unlocked characters. I haven't unlocked any this second time, and it launches fine still. So I would indeed classify this as an urgent game breaking bug. :(

18. fiskadoro

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Broward -- I think you might be right. It seems to happen after you've unlocked players via the challenge mode :(

I wrote an email to THQ support... I'm just not sure they're going to be the kind of company that will respond personally though, but I guess we'll wait and see.

19. skathir

skathir Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I had the same problem too. Do I need to delete it from Itunes as well or just delete from the phone and resync with itunes?

20. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I use to delete from iPhone. But you can do it just from iTunes too. Both ways should work.