TA shutting down - so where to go now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RoaringKitty, Sep 16, 2024 at 6:25 PM.

1. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    in transit
    I haven't posted in ages, but just want to make one last post here before it's gone. :(

Joined in 2008. Wow, such a long time ago. Haven't posted here in ages, and really only visit the site about once a week lately to check in. Haven't really done much iOS gaming for awhile, either; I miss the "golden age" before free-to-play and AAA were the main things.

See a couple familiar names here; so long, and farewell!

adin, sebgo and Boardumb like this.
  2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @houseofg I’m not sure where the info is from but in the off-topic Ta shutting down thread someone said it’s going to be read only on the forums.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There was something on Discord to that effect a couple days ago. But since then info has been a little less clear .

ste86uk likes this.
  4. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    I just want to say that TA has been the very best site for mobile gaming news, reviews and of course this forum. How devastating it is to read this today. I remember the days when there was a TA App! I started with my iPhone 2g - Playing the great games of the past The Walking Dead, World of Goo, Pandemonium, Colin McRae, Infinity Blade, Horn, Bioshock, moving onto the newer games today, such as Death Stranding, Resident Evil Village, Assassins Creed.

Where am I going to go, I think everyone should join the discord above, to keep in touch... Such a sad sad day!

Boardumb likes this.
  5. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    So sad. Will join too. :cool:

6. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Ugh...well that would friggin' suck. Someone would need to start a Reddit for Toucharcade alumni!

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Ahhh I can't believe it. It's been so long and I never thought of being without TouchArcade. I commented constantly on the early days of the app store with my iPod Touch so long ago. TouchArcade gives me such fond memories of my youth. And I still visit this site every month. This is really heartbreaking. There really isn't any other dedicated and organized mobile gaming forum like this out there. I still love mobile gaming so losing this site is a huge blow. I don't even know how I'll learn about new releases, the best premium apps, and great games I would've overlooked.

But I wish you all the best and thank you for giving us this wonderful site for so many years!

8. mestour

mestour Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Sad to hear the news.. This site was my childhood. I haven't been active for years, but I wanted to check the forums one more time before it gets closed.
    I wish the best for the staff in these difficult times

Boardumb likes this.
  9. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Yes!! Guys we need to keep a forum going somehow. Hell I’ll miss some of you guys lol. I come to this forum multiple times a day just to see any updates.

Do we know if the forum will stay open yet? @Boardumb ?

if not one of you smarter computer people need to make us a forum somewhere lol. Just to discuss all the games we love and the ones coming. How else will I find games or know what’s good?!

Feels like losing a group of buddies lol. Been reading the forum for 15 years and posting on them another 5. Wish I started earlier. But I don’t do any Internet stuff. No Facebook or Instagram. No twitter or X lol. Just Toucharcade!!!

10. RoaringKitty

RoaringKitty Active Member

Aug 23, 2024
    The North
    @elcrazy My guess would be that the site (and forums) will stay up until its time to pay the bills the next time. I’m no expert but I assume you have to pay for bandwidth and hosting and stuff like that. maybe the site goes read only in the end of month?

It would certainly be great if someone could just migrate all the data intact somewhere and keep the forum running. But of course there is the issue with money, it has to be financed somehow.

elcrazy likes this.
  11. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I know this might not be a popular opinion. But why not come up with a subscription model?

I know not all here will like that. But some of us will gladly pay a nominal amount to ensure we can keep interacting and discussing about mobile games.

elcrazy likes this.
  12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can you talk about the forums goings on in the off topic thread about touch arcade

don’t think it’s fair chatting in this game thread

thankyou

sebgo and Rocksaint like this.
  13. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Ya I was thinking the same thing. We should move this chat to a new post.

14. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    TouchArcade has been one of the most comprehensive mobile gaming news website for decades now. And everyone part of it has contributed to it in one way or another. So it would be a shame if we all go our separate ways after so long.

Internet is an infinite space. Even though it takes a substantial amount of finance to keep anything going, I think if nothing, we can at least come up with a plan to keep the forum/discussions going, maybe somewhere else. Even if it requires a subscription upfront. I think it’ll be worth it, knowing the history of the people running this place and also the people interacting on it in one form or another.

Just my suggestion.

RoaringKitty likes this.
  15. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Wait you’re in Montreal? @Ijipop Lol. I’m in Toronto and 45 here. I’ll be in Montreal Nov 25th-27th for work lol.