TA needs backup for ngmoco:) Star Defense "Mayday! Twitter Challenge!" !! !! !

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Eli, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

lmao, well I've been playing this game since about 11:00 AM. The game is balanced in a way that really keeps you on your toes, a lot of normal TD tactics with resource management don't really seem to work. I'm reluctant to post any strategies in case there are spies watching this thread from the other sites.........

2. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#62 Vester, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    Go win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

[​IMG]

66 waves with 80% wall health and I get an SMS popup in the middle of selling/repositioning/upgrading some towers to deal with an incoming swarm wave and they all ran by.

I really wonder what iLevi did to get to 100 waves.

Back to the grindstone, still another couple hours to submit scores. :)

4. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

yea, saw that, idk thats crazy

5. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    225, and you spend your time playing with NFS??:confused:

Oh I see, you just let them fool around until you show everyone who's boss in the final round... :p

6. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Day 3 challenge is about to begin. Get ready Hodapp!

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yep. ;)

Taking care of some stuff for my day job first...!

8. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Go Hodapp. Challenge posted!!!

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Welp 86 waves has me in #1 for today, but I have a feeling the dude from IGN is going to get even more than 100.

10. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    If you know it, why do you waste time posting here instead of trying HARDER!

Levi's at 95 and Chris at 82. Have a cuppa tea and get back to "work"!

Are you still enjoying the game, or has it already become a chore? Can you tell us what are the biggest selling points of Star Defense compared to other TD's?

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Nah, I'm still enjoying it. The 3D view and positioning towers on a sphere is what sets Star Defense apart. It really makes for some pretty neat tower placement dynamics that can't exist in a 2D tower defense game.

12. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

dang that ilevi guy must play for HOURS, am i right? how long does it take to get to wave 50?

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'll time my next game, quite a while though. One thing the build of Star Defense I have lacks is a fast forward mode. The only thing you can do is start the next wave early, but not speed the waves up. I'm currently stuck on wave 86, played four games today that all ended then.

Wave 87 is this super fast swarm that runs past all your towers so fast that they all just slam in to your barrier wall. I've tried massing slowing towers, but in doing that you don't have enough money to build the high damage towers (similar to the sniper towers in Sentry) that you need to kill the previous wave which is slow immune.

I have a feeling once you get past wave 87 there isn't a big kick to the pants wave until the high 90's/low 100's where iLevi is getting stuck.

I've got to hand it to ngmoco, this game is masterfully balanced and requires more micromanagement than other iPhone tower defense games. Not being able to see the whole maps only adds to how hectic this gets in later waves.

I really just can't say enough good things about this game, and I only have the stripped down pre-release build of it.

14. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    lets go hodapp beat that loser ilevi(obvi has no life)

15. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Is there a sort of placement grid or are you free to place your towers wherever you want? So far most TDs on the iPhone have a slight limitation because of a grid.

16. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    I'm looking forward to playing this myself now. I know I'm more likely to get stuck around 24 waves than 93. If it wasn't for winning a contest I wouldn't care much either. A shame we can't help get you passed that 93 mark. You could spend a night on it (like some probably did on the first day, to get into 100 and 200's), but then it's also about how badly do you want this and what price are you prepared to pay. I'll probably never get to 6000 on flight control either.

You're still doing fine, keep at it, they might still twist a thumb and have to forfeit! :D:D

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I knew I should have taken the week off work to do nothing but practice this game!!!

18. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#78 Vester, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    hey, not to be the downer but unless something crazy happens Tracy will win, but u did a great job! I have a feeling when i get it i wont be able to pass wave 15. Maybe a come from behind win?

19. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    #79 'Jeep, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    You done great Hodapp! Don't rule out that twisted thumb, just stay kewl and give it all. Tracy is a geek and Levi an anorak. (And Chris... well just take a look at his picture! :D) Say it a few times out loud, You'll feel instantly better!

Will the challenges be levels of the actual game, or be available at all in the game so that we can find out how we measure up to you wonder-kids?

Finally, I would like to remind you that there is a marked difference between the first and final upgrades of the basic gun. What seems like a worthless tower after 12 stages suddenly becomes essential to keeping the aliens at bay if properly upgraded. The slowing tower must also be a core part of your strategy, especially when dealing with the ultra-fast Scion, which are bird-like creatures that are resistant to fire damage. You must line your path with enough of these towers to keep them from screaming toward the shield wall. If you find just the right combination of slowing towers, cannons, and electric towers, you can last a long time.

(OK, That's from the half -god Levi himself 2pocketgamer! ;) )

20. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Today is the last day. What's your standing Hodapp?