TA Mobile website activated

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by blakespot, Apr 9, 2011.

1. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    It's a lot nicer with the bar divisions.

I say get rid of the background image for now, and replace it with the de facto gray. It's far too cluttered.

And it should show previews of all the forum topics, not just the game ones.

2. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Site skinning is a core advertising route for our site. (And without ads, we couldn't keep a staff or cover all the conferences, of course.) This is just not the best arranged skin, I fear.

bp

3. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Added mobile site link to main site. If you switch over to the normal site view, clicking on the mobile site icon is how to switch things back.

bp

4. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Did my usual morning forum search from bed and the mobile site auto kicked in.
    Loaded up fast and worked well, nice job Blake.

5. Dragu Rawr

Dragu Rawr Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I pretty dislike the mobile theme; the loading time is still the same as in the original version. i dislike the mobile theme because now i don't have the 'quicklinks' for the forums on the side.

6. Rovorcen

Rovorcen Active Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Don't like it. Doesn't load faster than regular site. I really hate websites that presume I want a page loaded as mobile formatted. I have to scroll to bottom and switch either everytime or if anything resets the cookies depending on how it's implemented. And all this ever does is limit the content or how I can use the site.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I think it looks pretty nice. You can change back to the original theme at the very bottom at will anyways.

8. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    It's just about impossible to believe the load time is the same. There's ridiculously less data being transferred on the mobile theme, and we'd been getting lots of complaints about load time.

And note that the iPhone and iPad (even now, when the "full site" is chosen) get a smaller backdrop than the main site.

bp

9. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    We were getting many complaints about load time, despite steps we've taken, and the mobile site seems to be appreciated by folks that disliked the lag. Just choose the full site with the switch at the bottom.

bp

10. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    The Mobile version of home page is great!But looking forward an app for forum :D

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Don't like the mobile site.

When I tap on the switch at the bottom, it always takes me three or four times into threads I don't wanted to go instead of the full main page, that's annoying. Also, I don't want to wait every time until the mobile site is completely loaded before I can safely press the switch button.
    Any solution to this? I just want to disable the mobile theme completely.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I think it's great you've made a mobile sit's, but I personally hate any mobile version. I honestly don't min the couple of second wait while it loads.

Can you either permanently turn off mobile when selected, or change it to www.mobile.toucharcade.com? Because I don't like scrolling the lot just to turn it off, every single time!

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That's what I wanted to say, too.

Btw., my loading times nearly doubled because now I have to wait for the mobile theme to load, then scroll (and this is annoying, too - 'cause often there are gfx loading and the site jumps up so I have to scroll down again), then pressing the switch and finally after that I reached the site I wanted to go.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Lots of contrasting opinions here. I think it's great. If i'm going to the main page all I want to see are the articles, I don't care about showing forum threads, I'll go to the forum for that. It also loads a lot faster for me, the regular site always hangs loading a few ads or images and sometimes never loads completely.

15. Dragu Rawr

Dragu Rawr Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    If you believe it or not, for me there's no loading time difference.
    It might be because my room is next to the WLAN, there could be a difference for me, but it is only 1-2 seconds

16. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

The mobile site is great if people want to use it, but PLEASE allow the rest of us to turn it off.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Mobile site loads faster for me, which is great.

One thing I keep meaning to bring up - it is just me or does the way TA link to the app store mess up Safari a good (I'd say 50-60) percentage of the time?

What happens to me is that when I return to Safari, the screen is partially white, with the original web page above and/or below it. I can only scroll if I do so in the non-white region(s).

When this happens I have to restart Safari to fix it. Sometimes double-tapping in the white area will cause Safari to crash.

18. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Bookmark this for now - http://toucharcade.com/?wptouch_switch=desktop&redirect=%2F

19. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Added comment counts to the mobile site. FYI.

bp

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany