TA iOS app - forum enhancements now live

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by blakespot, Jun 22, 2012.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    #1 blakespot, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
    Hey folks,

Around six weeks ago we launched the TouchArcade iOS application [link, free] and, since that time, we've been thrilled to see so many readers downloading the app, and we appreciate all the feedback folks out there have given us. The high praise we've seen from folks out there for our app really helps reinforce the notion that we've created something special -- it really is the best way to experience and utilize TouchArcade.

Since the app's initial, iPhone-only launch, we've been busy at work with designer Wolfgang Bartleme and Flexibits, the iOS developers who turn our designs into a reality, in getting full iPad support worked into the app for a near-term major update that will take it universal.

While all that has been underway, we've also spent time enhancing the Forums area of the app, adding certain functionality that users have been asking for. These features we've just, today, rolled out publicly. No App Store update is needed, it's all there right now.

What's new:
    • Added the ability to edit your existing posts
    • Added the ability to toggle your subscription state on any thread
    • Added the ability to search within a particular thread
    • Cleaned up the "Posts" view of the search system
    • Added a Subscribed Threads button to the Forum home screen for easy access
    • Altered the go-to-page navigation pop-up to utilize the simpler "phone pad" keyboard
    • Made various other small tweaks and enhancements
    We will continue expand the app, with an ear to our readers, in order to deliver the best experience possible. While iPad support is a major component of the next update, we've made numerous changes to the overall app that we're sure users will appreciate. So, keep the feedback coming and thanks to all who have embraced the TouchArcade iOS app.

If you see any issues with this feature rollout, please reply here with details. Thanks!

bp

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Has it been 6 weeks already? Man time flies.

The ability to delete your existing posts - is that going to make it into the main website?

3. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Finally can edit my posts ,still hoping for quote notifications tho !?

4. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    We're still furthering things. More to come. You guys are going to love the iPad support - such a nice view. Nicer than iPhone, really.

bp

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Test post

EDIT: How do you Delete a post?

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Most excited for the edit part :) But can you really delete posts? Haven't noticed such a feature... Still waiting for the multi-quote.

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Sorry, no you can't delete posts (unless you are a mod)

arn

8. ManuD

ManuD Member

May 8, 2012
    Banker
    Chandigarh
    iPad app

Now if we can have iPad app sooooon ???

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Hey people, just had a thought about a potential enhancement for the forum section of the app. I'm not sure it's entirely possible, but... well, if anyone can figure it out it's you guys.

I've been seeing a growing number of posts like this one:

(http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2325644&postcount=1)

Is there any way of having some kind of lookup function that will locate the app's page via the forum (rather than just searching the forum itself) and then maybe a button to copy the appropriate appinfo tag to the clipboard for pasting?

I'm not sure if I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be, but I figure appinfo is such a unique feature for the TA forums that its use should be encouraged as much as possible, including through the app.

Edit: I just found the option to copy the URL for a particular game but it's a little long-winded, especially having to add the appinfo tags. Perhaps you could explore a way to streamline the process? :)

10. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    You have indeed created something special. This app is probably my number one. I use it multiple times a day. I respect your views and reviews in most games, this app is my go-to...
    With that said, and I appaligize if this has already been stated, can you guys add the ability to use the keyboard, on an idevice, in landscape view? If this is already possible and I am missing something please assist me.
    Again, thank you guys so much for such an amazing reference app!!!!!

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yes, this would be nice - I've always had to go to the App Store, "Tell a Friend" copy the URL from the email, (cancel the email) then come back here and post it. Not sure how you'd be able to fix that, but a lookup via the AppShopper app would work for me.

Talking about the AppShopper app, would it be possible to make the lower buttons re-arrangeable (ala some of the Apple apps) so that I can get rid of "Popular" (which I never use) and put "Search" on there instead (which I use all the time) Example, go to iTunes on your device, tap More, then tap the Edit button in the upper-right corner. Then you can change the icons.