TA Forum's Pick for 2012 Game of the Year! *** LAST CHANCE TO VOTE ***

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Vote for 2012 Game of the Year? (Devs dont vote for own game please)

Poll closed Jan 10, 2013.
  1. 10000000

6.0%
  2. Bastion

15.0%
  3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

2.2%
  4. Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour

12.7%
  5. Punch Quest

11.2%
  6. Ravensword: Shadowlands

13.9%
  7. Rayman Jungle Run

5.6%
  8. Swordigo

9.4%
  9. Waking Mars

3.7%
  10. Walking Dead: The Game

13.5%
  1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Damn, I forgot about Walking Mars. Gotta add that one in my list, too. :p

2. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    My list right now would probably be:
    Swordigo
    Orc Vengeance
    True skate
    Modern Combat 3
    Nova 3
    Letterpress
    VS Racing 2
    Incoboto Mini

3. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    #63 DawnOfPlay, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Hope I'm not pushing it (you'll soon see why.. :) ), by adding these as possible suggestions from metacritic.com best of each month in 2012:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-november-2012
    #1 - 89 - Dream of Pixels
    #2 - 87 - Angry Birds Star Wars
    #3 - 87 - ARC Squadron

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-october-2012
    #1 - 94 - Punch Quest
    #2 - 90 - The Last Express
    #3 - 89 - Girls Like Robots

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-september-2012
    #1 - 94 - Bastion
    #2 - 92 - FIFA Soccer 13
    #3 - 89 - God of Blades

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-august-2012
    http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-july-2012
    http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-june-2012
    http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-may-2012
    (*)
    http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-march-2012
    http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-february-2012 (**)

(*) Have no idea, where April is. If anyone can find it, let me know!
    (**) The February post is for January, too, which they skipped.

Now, if anyone likes, I can list these in full here, so you don't need to visit the links to see the actual best games.. ?

EDIT: ok, I've added the top 3 from the first three.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Nice post!! A few games in there that I had forgotten as well as a few I haven't tried.

And congrats on being November's top game!!!! That's amazing and must be nice to say you even beat Angry Birds Star Wars!

5. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    thanks!

Thanks! Same here! :)

Yeah!!! :D EXACTLY! :D :D And I am saying it, just didn't want to do it in the wrong thread - i.e. here. :) Lucky for me, you're saying it - so yeah, THANKS! :D

6. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #66 Darth Ronfar, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Why Nihilumbra is without question the best game of the Year

I'll add here a rather lengthy comment/review from the Nihilumbra
    Disscuission on why I feel Nihilumbra deseves to be or is(IMO) the best GOTY. (slightly edited for grammar etc..)

LCB12321 posted a comment in 'Nihilumbra' Review - Escaping the Void is a Beautiful Thing ยท 5 months ago

I'd probly have rated it 4.5 (or agreed with) but now that I'm Playing "Void" mode I can't see it as anything but a solid 5. The original game is the "easy" story mode version.... The real game starts in the second half where you have to go back and play everly level again (most of which is completely diff.) using all the skills collected. This part is tough but extremely engaging... A combination of puzzle platforming with some of the most extreme thinking I've ever done playing a game...

Spoilers :

You're using all 5 colors together to complete nonstop ingenious mind-bending fun... For example the first level they drop you right next to one of those infamous enemies, it's no cakewalk. Some of these levels will leave even veteran gamers scratching their heads.

I assumed the game would be or was over after the first playthough; and like most games I said to myself," no I want more" and they gave it to me 10x over.

The story is kind of preachy through the games initial playthrough,which I guess could turn some people off, However the second playthrough has almost none of it as the game forces you as the player to progress through the game on your own.(going from linear to anything but)

Just think of the most off the wall obscure puzzles imaginable and they're there.(Its like really I have to do that ... ? With that... ? To get to that?) As you begin to figure out just how exactly you are suppose to progress through the game challenge by challenge..level by level. You feel like a genius almost... I believe whoever created this games must have an extremely high IQ to come with this type of gameplay..

This games deserves to be up for GOTY. If anyone were to ask me of a game that is hard or challenging in all aspects of gameplay but also rewarding. There is no doubt I'd suggest this game. Finishing it is almost kind of like a right of passage to prove you have the "ultimate video game skills" If you can manage to beat this game there isn't any other game you couldn't then eventualy figure out and beat. (And I mean hard in terms of both Non linear puzzle solving combined with active eye hand based character movement or some type of synergy between the 2/ not just something so hard that it angers you into giving up but one that incourages you to keep playing)

Not just one of my favorite IOS games ever but one of my favorite game ever period!

Brilliant game

--------------------------

I guess I'd go as far as saying this game is one of the hardest games ever.(regardless of what console) Hard but also "quality Hard".(The kind of hard game that really rewards you, yes you don't get any special reward rather than the satisfaction for completing said task, but I think that alone is almost better than any tangable reward that could be given) For that reason I think it should be a serious contentdor for the GOTY. I think the game is a bit too under the radar because of the the sheer difficulty of it. A caussul gamers nightmare but for anyone who has been playing games all their lives a game worthy of testing just how good of a "gamer" you are.

Sure there alot of other games with thier own reasons for being GOTY,but I think the reasons for those games are more obvious,whether it be production and design or fanservice and support. Or a game that takes players somewhere they've never been. For its innovation or it's history.

So when asking what makes Nihilumbra the GOTY and for what reason. It's Important to know that it's a game that's realesed on a device that's usually more of a casual friendly market. Yet it's one of or if not the most "Hardcore" games of all time. Not just that but it's using the devices abilities like swiping and muti-touch to make it cater even more towards what it is. But also that it was made by a rather small team of devs and still manages to accomplish exactly what it set out to do.

I guess in a time when freemiuim gaming is staring us in the face there is a game that shines as the polar opposite to that. Exceeding in every category used to judge how good a game is. Not just bringing us back to the roots of what's makes games and gaming what it is but also doing it dare is say better than ever before. I can think of no other game with this type of "challenge" a game that humbles even the most " hardcore" of gamers.

----------------

I wish this game was more popular and known.. With people complaining about how games or gaming on iOS is only casual. Why this game isnt used instead of some game like Infinity Blade which is I guess "hardcore" to some extent, As a game to reference. I know games like Bastion and Waking Mars are great games to oppose this perception. I guess I've been rambling on too much without much point, so I'll end with when deciding what game deserves to be the "best iOS game" there should be enough of a reason why, and without any ground breaking new technology here to give people that kind of "game" it's gonna take alot more than just a good "port" or console like game experience to do it. Instead we should look to which game uses the system the best while expanding upon the evolution of gaming/ blah etc.. And while that isn't exactly plainly obvoius there are enough good examples here to so...

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    #67 DannyTheElite, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Dream of Pixels
    Asphalt 7
    FIFA 13
    Minigore 2
    Real Racing 3
    Punch Quest
    MC4
    Angry Birds Star Wars
    Angry Birds Space
    Cubed Rally Redline
    Sky Gamblers Storm Raiders

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #68 syntheticvoid, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Moved to end of thread... hehe...

9. 3volution

3volution Well-Known Member

3volution - A Primordial Soup Challenge! Try and score those gazillion of points if you can. :D

10. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    #70 dalbertson, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    Love this thread, already seeing so many great games that I had forgotten about. Putting this list up so I don't forget anything later;

Hero Academy
    Mad Acorn
    The Devil's Attorney
    Kingdom Rush
    Beat Sneak Bandit
    Heroes of Order and Chaos
    Magic 2013
    Shadowgun: Deadzone
    Hunters 2
    Lostwinds 2

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Battleheart came out Jan of 2011...

12. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Excellent...now I don't have eleven anymore. Thanks

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    no problem-o...

thought you might be wondering why in the world no one else had put it on their list anyway. =oP

14. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    What do you think of my list?

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I think it's a little early to say that some of those titles will be in your top 10 of the year... =oP

16. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I know minigore 2 and real racing 3 aren't out yet but I think they will be in my top 10 of the year

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    well since we're basically just posting to let others know what we're thinking, and so that we, ourselves, don't forget (haha) - I guess it's no different than me having 2 empty spots or someone else having placeholders. =oP

But anyway... yeah... not a bad list by any means. There's been so many great games this year. I thought 2011 was amazing (and it was) - but 2012 totally blew me away. Makes me extremely excited for next year. =oD

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I hope you dont throw your device when minigore 2 doesnt live up to your expectations. :D

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My list still has about 7 runners... I have to cut down the runners to include other genres. LOL

20. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    That would be horrible wait 4 years and then it's rubbish:(