TA forums' Game of the Year 2014

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Nov 26, 2014.

?

What is your 2014 Game of the Year?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2015.
  1. Monument Valley

15.5%
  2. Threes!

4.1%
  3. Battleheart Legacy

15.5%
  4. Wayward Souls

10.8%
  5. Leo's Fortune

4.1%
  6. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

16.9%
  7. Xcom: Enemy Within

16.2%
  8. Goblin Sword

4.1%
  9. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

6.1%
  10. AirSupply - SOS (Save Our Sheep)

6.8%
  1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Never thought game of the year (year being the year we're in) would cause do so much hassle!

I'm sure game of the year last year (2013) didn't include 2012 releases

If a game came out in nov 13 it could have been included in last years poll not this years

2. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #42 Lazer Kat, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    I realize that the OP said Dec 24th, but since everyone else has started the party I will join in.

This list deserves more time and thought, and will be updated accordingly:

1) Desert Golfing - this game is the definition of mobile excellence. It is one of the most addictive experiences I've ever had in gaming. It is everything it should be and nothing it's not.
    2) Monument Valley - I have played through the full campaign and the expansion three times. Each time was as enjoyable as the first. It is a rare experience that proves games are indeed art. The visuals are stunning. The puzzles are refreshing. The game is amazing.
    3) Goblin Sword - this is one of the best platformers ever, on any platform. It feels like a game I'd pay $60 for on my At home consoles, and be extremely pleased with the purchase.
    4)) Helix - the best high score arcade experience I had this year. It has enough to keep playing. It is difficult in all the right ways. The soundtrack is perfect.
    5) Smash hit - for 2 bucks you get so much by "going premium", and for free you get one of the best games on the platform. There has been content updates this year which make the game stand above it's competitors.
    6) Hoplite (was released Dec 21, 2013 - I did not play it until 2014. I'm not sure which way the thread has decided. Is this game eligible?) my thoughts on this are below
    7) Mr Particle Man - when I first played this I thought "meh. It's pretty good." I picked it back up and thought "actually this is good. Then I kept playing till I got to the end. By then I knew it deserved a spot on this list.
    8) Dwelp - a minimalist puzzle game that is designed so elegantly it feels like it should be included with your iPhone or iPad when purchased. It feels like it was designed by apple.
    9) Doug Dug - I Dug for a solid month this year. Addictive. One more try at it's truest.
    10) Leo's Fortune - the platformer on touch screens can be difficult. It generally requires pin point accuracy. This is why games like bit trip run and the two Rayman run games feel better than the various Mario clones. Well Leo's fortune overcame this with amazing controls and incredible level design. It was the the second best platformer of the year, and one of the best the platform offers.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #43 undeadcow, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Curiously does the suggestion of eligibility for games that were initially released in prior years but received some massive update or re-release in 2014 seem reasonable? Perhaps a compromise would be to require a game have been released in 2014 or have received an update during the 2014 calendar year firmly ruling out games with no new material this year.

For example Half Brick's 2010 Age of Zombies was just retooled as 'Season 2', Chair's 2013 Infinity Blade III received the Kingdom Come update along with other new 2014 content... prior examples are Dragon Fantasy's 16-bit update 2 years after release or Sonic the Hedgehog's revamp with new characters 4 years after launch. Even super old 2010 legacy title, Angry Birds, just got a "Reds" AIDs awareness promotional content update.

There may be a fanboy here or there who would vote Infinity Blade III into ever poll possible but for top 10 entry into the poll there would have to be a community consensus.
    Thanks for any slack in the other thread - probably too much sarcastic humor on my part.

4. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #44 Lazer Kat, Dec 2, 2014
    Well here's my 2 cents about this.
    As far as games being updated this year like a few of the Halfbrick games, honestly why not include them?
    If they had such an awesome year that they get enough votes to be included - so be it.
    If I'm being honest, I'd put a The Simpsons Tapped out in this years top 10.
    It had an awesome year of updates, and I played it more than any other game I think.

What I think is more important than that is games like Hoplite.
    It was released at the very end of 2013. Was it even eligible for last years pole?
    Did it have a chance? I didn't play it until 2014, and I assume a lot of us were in the same boat.

It definitely has the quality to qualify for the top 10.

Now...if I'm being completely honest then I'll be honest about Hoplite - I suck at it. Bad. I've been playing it off and on for around 8 months and my high score is 21 with the depth of 7. I haven't played it a lot, I haven't learned it's intricacies. That's ,y formal excuse, but when I do play it (which is a game or two every few weeks when the icon catches my eye) I ALWAYS smile.
    I grin ear-to-ear from the experience, despite my skills being subpar.
    If that isn't goty material then I don't understand the concept I guess.

The game had a slow start, and scanning the thread, it's obvious only a handful of us had tried it Last year.

I think an easy rule would be this - if a game has been in previous goty top 10 then it shouldn't be allowed a duplicate year. If not, and it's year was so great it gets the votes - then I welcome it to the party.

I say if you loved Hoplite this year, then by all means add it to your list. We all know it needs/deserved the attention.

5. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    7Pips looks interesting, and I am downloading it now...but if this thread has the same rules as the gotw threads - a Dev nominating/voting for their own games is not allowed.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is why i suggested a november 2012 to november 2013 in last year's GotY poll, but people shut me down right away.

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Deep Loot (crafty tug and all)
    Air Supply SOS (yes oh yes)
    Alone (old fashioned runner)
    Leo's Fortune (beautiful)
    Monument Valley (escher sketch)
    Desert Golfing (stay a while, stay forever!)
    Sky Force 2014 (shot bronxsta down)
    VVVVVV (terry good indeed)
    Doug Dug (minecraft sans crafting)
    Pixa (the templature's rising)

8. armilla

armilla Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #48 armilla, Dec 2, 2014
    Don't know why you got shut down, since the idea of considering games that are much older but with new updates (as this thread has suggested) seems unaligned with the spirit of these lists. If anything, they could have their own section or "honorable mention."

9. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Smash Hit
    How In the HELL did I forget Smash Hit?
    It is, without a doubt, one of the best games of 2014.
    I guess one of my top 10 will have to be eliminated.

Smash hit. What an amazing game.
    They did free right.
    You get a lot for nothing, but a TREMENDOUS amount for $2.
    There's been update after update, providing amazing new content, game modes, and more.

10. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    Monster hunter freedom unite
    Wayward souls
    Monument valley
    Xcom enemy within
    Battleheart legacy
    Oddworld stranger's wrath
    Framed

11. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Somehow I still haven't purchased Wayward Souls or battle heart Legacy.
    They have each been on the watch list since release.

They seem to be the two most popular nominations so far.

Guess I will buy one of two now...but which one? Hmmm.

12. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Xcom enemy within

Xcom enemy within

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I actually think that's a fairer way than Jan to Dec and was gonna suggest it further back but didn't think it would go down to well after the reactions to my question about which release years are allowed, so changed my mind as I genuinely don't like being awkward, and worried about being shut down. Some responses made me feel silly for asking my first question so I wasn't gonna do it again lol.

For me taking part in the GOTY thread is more about the process than the result. I love going through my purchase history and revisiting titles I've neglected. I also love looking through all the nominations and finding new titles I've missed, so for that reason I don't really mind either way if older games are nominated, esp if they've had content updates in the last year. The back end of the year is the most busiest for me and playing time is greatly reduced (almost non existent) I don't I'm unusual there so I can see how games released the back end of November onwards will easily miss the noms for that year. Like I said though, I don't have a problem with either way.

Thanks Undead, for doing the thread and listening to all sides.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think its just a bit of fun, should just be 'easy' and be game of the year 2014 (games released in 2014) and so on.

I hope we get lots of people voting but some polls only have about 20 people or so so theres no point analysing it so much as its just a bit of a laugh

15. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I agree it should be fun...
    But what about Hoplite?
    Dec 21 release date.
    Very few of us played it until this year.

It effectively is being punished for it's release date.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to figure out where this line should be drawn.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Both are good fit in anyone's GotY list, but i'd take Battleheart Legacy above Wayward Souls, but only by a small bit. I love how flexible the skill system is in BHL, whereas you have a fixed set of skills to learn for each class in WWS.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Battleheart would be my choice if I had to pick one. And though Wayward Souls is also on my top 10, Battleheart Legacy's RPG system is much more rewarding to me then Wayards rogue-like set up. Both are excellent though.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I made this point in a post a way long time ago as well. I see no problem in anyone posting from any time period. There will be almost 0 likelihood that an older game will get the nod, or even in the final 10 as it will just be someone's personal GOTY, and that should be OK.

These threads are certainly used by me to see what games I got, but also to think about ones that I did not get, and perchance someone posts an oldie but goodie -well so much the better for the community awareness.

I think that stringent rules / regulations really should only apply if there is a big monetary stake. If Toucharcade carried the same weight as say - IGN or Gamespot, then it matters. Although Toucharcade is certainly a very robust community, it does not carry the editorial weight of the big boys (yet).

19. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I am heavily biased towards RPG games because they are what I like, so my list would include some of following:

Battleheart Legacy
    Banner Saga
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Ice Wind Dale: EE
    Xcom: Enemy Within

However, thank you to everyone for sharing their choices/insight as it's given me a list of other games to look into...

PS. Please don't be Wayward Souls.

20. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I was just about to buy Wayward Souls.
    Care to tell me what you disliked about it?