TA forums' Game of the Year 2014

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Nov 26, 2014.

?

What is your 2014 Game of the Year?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2015.
  1. Monument Valley

15.5%
  2. Threes!

4.1%
  3. Battleheart Legacy

15.5%
  4. Wayward Souls

10.8%
  5. Leo's Fortune

4.1%
  6. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

16.9%
  7. Xcom: Enemy Within

16.2%
  8. Goblin Sword

4.1%
  9. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

6.1%
  10. AirSupply - SOS (Save Our Sheep)

6.8%
  1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #21 undeadcow, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Up for discussion; in the interest of fun/curiousity there seems little reason to require a 2014 release date when most will nominate 2014 games anyway and that way there are no debates/policing of arbirtrary guidelines like the exact release date of someone's favorite. Maybe consider it a personal best game during the year even if discovered late. It's unlikely people will rally around Angry Birds, Junk Jack, or some other legacy game and if they do then maybe there's merit to it; i.e. maybe an older game got an epic update or some undiscovered gem gets traction. Thoughts?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It shouldnt be a personal best. When you choose best player of 2014 of best band of 2014 or game of the year 2014 its from 2014.

You shouldnt choose your favourite 'non 2014' game/app/athlete/team, just doesnt make sense

The title says game of the year 2014 so its the best game released in the year 2014.

If its best game ever then yeah you can choose anything. But surely we want to find the winner of this years games. Surely even this people cant get wrong !

3. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #23 sinagog, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Monster Hunter
    Inferno 2
    Battleheart Legacy
    Botanicula
    80 Days
    Bug Heroes 2
    Papers Please
    Ghost Blade
    FLT
    Glorkian Warrior

EDIT: Scratching out...um, Bug Heroes 2 and putting in the new Oddworld game.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Glorkian Warrior
    Turbo Dismount
    Battle Supremacy
    Drift n Drive
    Mr. Particle Man
    Pixel Boat Rush
    Toast Time
    Touchgrind Skate 2
    Modern Combat 5
    Haunt The House: Terror Town
    AirSupply SOS

That's as narrow as I can get it!! I'm sure I've left a few out, but these are the one I always come back to and that I've logged countless hours playing. Great year for gaming, indeed!

Richard

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Did you read the initial post? I was asking because the original post with the nomination guidlines says "nominations can be ANY game, preferably from 2014" which would seem to mean it doesn't have to be 2014, I know jjx was released in 2013, I was using it as an example.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone but I asked based on what's in the initial post, am I the only person who read that and thought it meant maybe games from previous year can be nominated? for what it's worth I agree that it should be 2014 release, but if games from other years are allowed and other people nominate titles from earlier then that would change some of my noms. Now I know it's a No I'm good.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #26 Nullzone, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Nimian Legends: Brightridge gets top spot, most interesting and different experience I had in years.

Other than that:
    Tactics Maiden
    Perils of Man
    Phantom Rift
    Battleworlds: Kronos
    Arcane Quest 2

7. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Should have read full thread before replying to sink. So it's not a No (yet) ? I didn't read the initial,post incorrectly?
    I think it's easier just to have 2014 releases, or maybe 2013 dec releases as some from the back end will have missed the cut off for 2013 GOTY noms and people may not have chance to play them properly to consider them for GOTY. I don't mind either way, just wanted to check what is and isn't ok before I start thinking.

8. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I read the title, then read the guidlines, I didn't think my question was getting it wrong, I was asking for confirmation. Usually the noms have to be specific to the year, which is why I asked as when I read "preferably 2014" I'd not have been surprised if the likes of jjx or other games with tons of content updates over the last year end up getting nominated. Jjx was the first that came to mind, esp for new members who haven't taken part and make their noms based on the initial post.

Anyways, again I apologise, I wasn't trying to be arsey or start an argument. I must be having an off day as I thought the OP meant older games could be included and was just wanting to make sure.

9. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Sorry Cloudpuff, I didn't read the first post and I agree that it's confusing. Like psj already said, the game of the year 2014 should be released in 2014 imo.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1 to this. Just include those released in 2014.

11. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Thank you Crex and Undeadcow!!!

12. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    In no particular order,

7 Pips
    Causality - Classic Puzzle Game Reimagined
    Spooksland
    Tales of the Adventure Company
    Flurry Planet
    Card City Nights
    The Wolf Among Us (initially released in Dec 2013 though)
    Hoplite (also released in Dec 2013)
    Welcome to the Dungeon
    Poor Gladiator

I play very niche games I know. And yes, i'm shamelessly nominating my own games, because I believe in my own games, least I could do is to let them catch a couple more eyes here.

13. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Tiny Tower Vegas

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Has no one read the OP?

Personally, I like the fact that games released before 1.1.2014 could be included. Episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us came out in Dec 2013, but I can easily see how it could be some people's GOTY 2014.

I would probably still limit the nominations to games released this year though, as it will save the inevitable gnashing of teeth if an older game were to get a lot of nominations.

Last year, nominations ran from Jan 8 to Jan 15 so all games released in 2013 were counted. If the poll is earlier this year, I'd suggest an earlier release date cut off (e.g. dec 15) and let games released after that fall into next year.

Agree that all votes should be counted. Thanks again to undeadcow for his tireless dedication to GOTW and GOTY.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military

Obviously not! Including me, as I also put in suggestions. :D You must be an attorney, or CPA or something like that. Tell me - do you read instruction manuals before actually operating the things? :eek:
    Sorry - no offense intended - I thought the pickup was outstanding actually...

So, my $0.02 on the discussion - since a couple of my favorite games actually came out at the end of 2013, I would like to include them for review - so I also agree with the thought that the game should not have to be released in 2014. There are also many games as noted that get some huge updates, or DLC that could make a good game outstanding and I think that should allow people to make it a contender. Also, as noted, most people will probably choose the vast majority of newer games as legacy games are just that. I don't know when KOTOR came out on iOS, but I don't think that would ever be an iOS GOTY because it has been around for many, many years on other platforms (as an example).
    Based on suggestions of only allowing games released during this year - a potentially excellent game released right before the Apple holiday season would likely not be counted, and then by the rules (if extended to next year) would not be counted then either.
    Really, I think the legalistic stuff only comes into play if the TA GOTY carries a lot of economic weight. Likely, it doesn't- so if its just for fun - let people have their say, because GOTY will almost assuredly be from 2014, just based on how people will likely vote (because no one will read the rules anyways)... :p

16. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    "I came across some water on hole 501. It was blue. Game of the Year." --
    Andy C83

"And that's it. Cancel the polling and start writing the article now, Eli and Jared. Andy and I have spoken. Desert Golfing is Touch Arcade's Game of the Year!! Congratulations to all the other nominees and better luck next time." --
    Guise

"^That would certainly save undeadcow a few headaches." --
    mr.bez

17. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Peeps gots to play Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and edit it into their lists

...yo!

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is why we had a separate "Indie GOTY last year" where ports were not included.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The original post is a shameless copy and paste job from that of last year's rules; Sherlock even had to PM me to suggest I update the dates. Despite being open no one nominated a bunch of legacy titles or anything them. I'll probably end up reluctantly amending them to only allow 2014 if consensus is such; still I think it's a moot point as everyone is focused on 2014 anyway.
    I struggled with deciding on a cut-off date so shortened nomination timeframe to one week this year and move things up slightly because I think last year's mid-January outcome was too late. It's vital all games from 2014 be given fair consideration and initially I was counting on there being a freeze (but apparently the App Store freeze is getting almost non-existant). I'm open to feedback on suggested timeframes for nominations and/or voting.
    Reason it's not a great idea to jump on posting GOTY nominations in November.
    /thread. Forum GOTY over.

20. Multiboy2k

Multiboy2k Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Watcher
    Could change at a moment's notice
    #40 Multiboy2k, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    This one is easy......

MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE

Hands down. Point blank. Period.

One could easily sink 300 hours into this game. And, that's just playing with only one weapon type. Add learning, mastering, and playing with each of the other game's weapon types, and you got over 1000+ hours worth of gameplay. It should be GOTY because it demands not that your player 'character' get better, but that YOU get better. I have made 'naked' runs with no armor against lethal bosses because I got better at the game vs having the 'best' weapon/armor combination. And, the amount of content is insane.

Btw, Of course I'm talking about playing this game with a physical MFI controller. I use a wireless PS3 controller. But, the SteelSeries controllers work flawlessly as well.

Honorable Mentions:
    X-COM Series
    Icewind Dale