TA Forums Game of the Week! (Oct 4th)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, Oct 4, 2012.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of October 4th?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2012.
  1. Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin

28.4%
  2. Burrito Bison

7.8%
  3. Re-Volt Classic

9.8%
  4. Fire Busters

30.4%
  5. Irrupt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NBA 2K13

2.0%
  7. Fin Friends

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dungeon Story

17.6%
  9. Sugar Kid

3.9%
  1. Votegate every week nowadays, sigh.

Have to vote for Fire Busters though, I think it is the best game by far. Tentacles too is really good. Revolt too looks great even though I don't have it.

Tougher choosing a game this week for me, but I will go with Fire Busters.

2. Well, I really don't know what is going on behind the scenes, so all I can say is that Fire Busters and Tentacles are great games and the vote looks close. Tentacles has 12 voters I recognize, Fire Busters 5. Not that this means anything.

But anyway, it would be a shame if Fire Busters got disqualified cause it is a very good game. I don't know if it is entirely fair to dismiss this as cheating by the developers unless there is definite proof.

I encourage you all to try the game, it is a good game and that is what really matters. Votegate week after week, I wonder what next week will bring :)

3. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    "i love the smell of banning in the morning"

anyway as said, voting/posting with fake accounts (also on "new game threads") do much more harm than good... wish people would finally realize that

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    There was one dev i wont name who was in timeout, when he came back he apologised. Had a good chat with him via PM about shill posts, perhaps its a cultural issue ? The guy simply couldnt understand what was wrong with other people in the company (or friends) posting 'great game, best ever' type stuff, he thought it was great promotion.

Great promotion to me are iOS review sites saying 'great game' as theyre neutral. 'This is the best game ever' type posts from someone who works for the devs or is a friend is just fake, i still dont get why people dont understand that.

Take this poll, as we've said a few times doesnt the dev realise hes doing more harm than good ? Its pathetic people have to register lots of fake accounts to vote or say 'this games great....'. EVEN if a game looks good (and to be fair some 'real' people have voted for it) i'll stay away from it if i know the dev shills/creates fake accounts. I refuse to buy it out of principle.

But i dont understand why these devs STILL do it, wait a week and this time next week we'll be having the same chat about some game with 12 zero posters who vote for it. Just bizarre but also stupid

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Easy week, Tentacles gets my vote, even bought IAP

If a developer does that, his/her game should be disqualified... they clearly didnt read the rules and rules are very clear and on the first page. IMO

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    By my estimation it's actually 16 to 15 right now, so shenanigans aside it's a close race.

7. Well it happened last week too, but at least it is making this thread more interesting to read, if that means anything...

8. Yeah, that is about what I think. Tentacles is more for hardcore players so it is more likely to attract TA sr members. And it is from microsoft a well known conpany.

Firebusters is a family puzzler from a small indie with a different subset of fans. So it will get more unknown voter valid accounts.

So I too think it is a draw right now. Anyway, I think the best game should win, not just based on this perception of cheating. This is a mess, but may the best man win, we'll see what happens.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I love controversy here. A few weeks ago these polls were struggling to generate rather paltry numbers of votes, even though everything was done as usual. Although that can be partly contributed to the quality of the games involved.

As for rules... There's no disqualification clause at the moment, so I couldn't enforce it even if I wanted to. I'm thinking one day I'll add something preventing a game from placing in the top 3 if serious misconduct is found. Serious would be to my discretion on a case by case basis, of course.
    Though I hardly see the point. No game that has had serious violations has ever placed in the top 3. And if it has, legitimately, despite the fake votes, then it's rather good and it would be unfair to the usual voters.
    This does give me an idea though... Next week might see a new rule preventing these games from winning. This way places 2 and 3 would be open, but cheating would disqualify it from first place.

10. This evolution of voting is very interesting and I am cracking up laughing right now about the irony of it all.

Last week, I was one of the most vocal about votestacking, this week I seem the most vocal for call of reason for the best game. Sometimes the irony of life.

Anyway, laughing so hard, thanks for doing such a good job moderating this vote, and yeah these contraversies are causing more voter turnout and discussion, so that is good.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The fun part is, I've never stressed about these polls, it's why I'm still doing them after my predecessor had too much on and stepped down. Everyone else seems to get more worked up than I ever am. ^^

12. What is funny too is that this whole process reminds of the US election process with electoral college votes. It doesn't matter if a game has the most popular vote, it is what the electoral college really says like what happened to Al Gore.

This process here is kind of similar, got no idea with the vote process above as to the real outcome. Fire Busters has the most votes, but Tentacle has the most senior TA votes. And both are great games, I love both.

So I recommend an electoral college type system for the TA vote we could have one senior member from each state and foreign country be a representative for the final electoral college vote. That's what the good old US of A does, so why not here...

And by the way for any of you that haven't read my sacastic off the wall humour, I am just kidding. ;)

13. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I think Indie Devs love their games so much and just go strait to vote for it.. While a company like Microsoft probly doesn't even give a cr@p. It would be cool if Bill Gates came to vote for tentacles(ya I know Microsoft is just the pub.. But still)

Anyways I like the idea of a better voting system maybe not like he electoral colledge but maybe something where depending on ur post count and join date could be worth more or less...I dunno atleast it would prevent new members from coming here Just to vote. I don't get why they don't just make it impossible for new members to vote... Cuz this is happening like every week and this would save alot of fighting and time

14. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Maybe have it, so only the people that posted 200 times plus can vote for these games. If new members try to vote, it will say "can't vote, have to have at-least 200 posts to do so".

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Both terrible ideas. There are a lot of members who have been around longer than all of us here with very few posts.

The current system isn't exploited in any way, btw. Any vote that shouldn't be there doesn't count. :rolleyes:

16. It would be nice for some kind of guideline. I think you change from jr member to regular member at 100 posts right? Maybe it would be appropriate to make the vote only for non jr members, or maybe a time thing like you have to be a member for one or three months or something.

Eh, just my 2 cents worth, ignore my suggestion of using an electoral college with every state and country having one vote. Just there must be a better way than we have now, cause it is kind of natural for an overzealous indie developer to try to overpromote this game, and do things like not reading the voting rules and voting, I know for one, I didn't read the 50 pages of Apples terms and conditions, so if they took away my ipad for every violation, I would be naked.

And that would suck.

Now I am rambling. Feels good to ramble sometimes. I can't remember whether I voted or not, oh yeah, I did, haha. :p

Edit: during my ramblings, there was a post by echoseven saying that there are members that have been here forever that don't post. Too true. How about the one or three month time restriction?

17. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    The 1 month time restriction is the way it should be. Love that idea.

18. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Was just giving my 2 or 3 cents :D

19. You know, I have another stupid question, but since we seem to be discussing a lot of things, are we allowed to change our votes? Not that I want to this time, but there maybe times when you change your mind before the time period ends, or is your vote set in concrete?

20. What he is saying is, it is worth only one cent... :p