TA Forums Game of the Week! (May 1st)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Echoseven, May 3, 2013.

?

What is your Game of the Week for the week of May 1st?

Poll closed May 9, 2013.
  1. Sorcery!

18.3%
  2. Star Command

18.3%
  3. Zoombies: Animales de la Muerte!

7.3%
  4. Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy

6.1%
  5. Survivalcraft

41.5%
  6. Paper Titans

1.2%
  7. ASCII Shooter

2.4%
  8. Dark Avenger

1.2%
  9. Ninja Striker!

2.4%
  10. Stick Stunt Biker 2

1.2%
  1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    All in fun...

Anti-nominations might spice things up a bit...

=oP

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't get why everyone's so up-in-arms about this. :/ This isn't supposed to be a serious poll. In fact, I sometimes find it amusing that developers use "TouchArcade forum's Game of the Week" in app descriptions...even though it probably means much more to them than official reviews. I mean, it is "We, the people" right. ;)

As far as I'm concerned though, I only nominate games I've bought, whether it's 1, 2 or 5. Hell, I think everyone here knows that next to Sanuku, I probably spend the most ridiculous amounts of money on apps. Mind you, I'm not bragging. On the contrary...I find it quite sad, but I can't even remember the last week I had bought less than 5 new apps. My point? I've never listed apps for the sake of it, or to fill up a "quota". I own all the apps I list, and considering so many people on TA would blindly buy apps if I recommend them (seriously, I frickin' love you guys...never ceases to amaze me), I wouldn't try to mislead anyone by "recommending" something I don't think deserves to be recommended.

This week? Let's see:

Bullet Train Hell
    Sorcery!
    Star Command
    Tipping Point Adventure Game (iPad Only)
    Zoombies: Animales de la Meurte!

...and an "Honorable Mention" for Paper Titans.

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I am looking forward to hating Star Command and then slowly coming round to love it.

4. #64 Connector, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    Rcx, you really want to start another votegate when we still have a past votegate going on?

I don't think there is any rule posted about anti-nominations, in fact, I'm sure Frost would call you out, and file an official grievance to Echoseven requesting that your nomination become null and void.

And did you actually purchase and play the game? You need to post your itunes receipt and also show an hdmi tv screenshot, or your request for an anti-nomination will not be processes according to the 66 page Apple terms and conditions that you agreed to using the appstore.

Of course I jest. If you mean a negative nomination, probably not. If it is a game you already nominated, just edit your original nominations and delete it. I am sure even Echoseven won't make a huge fuss about it. But the gotw police aka Frost, he may call you out. So keep a copy of your itunes receipt just in case. ;)

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    • Poll

Also: Poop Jump, despite having enough nominations to be included (seriously?) was disqualified for a few reasons.

The first was because the thread is locked for various reasons.
    The second was because it created a 5-way tie for the last 4 places.
    The third was that I would cringe if I had to put up a game called "poop jump"...

6. The fact that it was released all the way back in 2010 is probably another reason

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Well, yeah, but the others are more important. :p

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Voted for Survivalcraft. Infinite worlds, caves and caverns, a realistic tone, constant updates, all from a dedicated dev. Much better than MCPE

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Zoombies...

Great, GREAT game. I know it's basically a reskinned Axe in Face, but they've added quite a few nifty mechanics, the production values are GREAT... And even though there's loads of available IAPs, the currency system, how much you earn and what items cost is all handled perfectly. It feels like there's always. Something new to unlock and (big woohoo here) you're actually given enough coins to unlock it when you need to.

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This, couldnt find better words (except the axe in face reference). Great game indeed!

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Same here. Easy vote this week for me.

Forget MC:pE, this thing is nearly on par with the latest unreleased snapshot version of Minecraft PC with horses and stuff.

I like that even with the more realistic take on survival that during a full moon the wolves turn to werewolves with those glowing red eyes.

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Yes!! Those werewolves are scarier than anything in MC, IMO. I think it's the glowing eyes

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I haven't played Axe in Face (sounds like I should). Zoombies got my vote, though. It was the only game I bought last week (of the new releases) hence my only nomination. But I was pleasantly surprised at how good the game is. One of my favourite games of the year so far.

The only other game that I know I'll eventually get is Sorcery!, but I have such a huge backlog of Gamebooks I decided to wishlist it for now. But I'm very pleased at the positive reception Sorcery! is receiving from forum members. :)

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #74 MidianGTX, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    I had to back Star Command. I fully accept most of the legitimate issues raised in the game's thread, but hey, I'm still having fun and I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Survivalcraft seems like a decent game, but the weird amalgamation of different design styles and resolutions is really off-putting to me, I can't stand a game that won't stick to it's own theme. People were moaning about it in the Gun Commando thread, but as soon as it comes to world-building they don't care, despite it being a far worse case of the same issue. Personally, if it's my creations at stake, I care twice as much about ugliness and out of place assets.

Plus I'm still playing Minecraft on PC way too much to need one on iOS at all.

15. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Which parts look inconsistent? The sky? I've only put a few hours into the game so far but everything looks very well tied together.

Seems like I remember a similar complaint about Star Command...

... (searches)....

Here from the game discussion thread on SC...

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The resolution of some of the assets/models. I'm only going by the screenshots, but the bucket, horse, player and ship models definitely aren't sticking to the blocky aesthetics that the rest of the environment is. It makes the game look a little amateurish to me. It might be great fun to play though, don't get me wrong, but little things like that put me off.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Really had little interest in most of the games this week, but the Axe in Face comparisons peaked my curiousity on Zoombies. But, unfortunately, it's also one of the few games this week that won't run on my 3GS (that upgrade later this year can't come soon enough).

If anything, got me thinking that I need to redownload Axe in Face!

18. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The ship is from the intro sequence the horse fits in well with the other animals. Same for horses in the latest snapshot of MC on pc. Which are quite cool as you can use a rope to tie them to a post. My son actually tied a bunch of pigs to a platform above them then dug out the area underneath so as to make a pig pinata. But that's MC on the latest snapshot. Here it all looks consistent especially when you spot a bear or other animals (I haven't seen a giraffe yet, but I hear they are in there).

Anyway, as a huge MC fan and as many MC-variants as I've played, this one is remarkable in every way.... especially on this platform.

19. What??? This is a conspiracy and the 3rd votegate of this week!

It is a premium game, fun for the most part, and has good sense of humour and is outrageously funny.

It also made it to the 3rd top talked about ios game on Toucharcade, so it had a huge following and a lot of hype.

It is a travesity to the ios gods that a game that has enough nominations would not make it onto the ballot. Oh, the shame!

Just look at poop below! Poop is very sad that he is not allowed on this vote. A sad commentary and another huge votegate for the week. ;)

Attached Files:

20. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    No Poop Jump?

Why no Poop Jump?